Notifications
Clear all

Maybe It's Dairy, Not Gluten?

MemberMember
(@40andacne)

Posted : 09/03/2013 6:57 pm

So I posted over the weekend about ordering a gluten sensitivity test (which I did), but I saw an esthetician today for my horrible cystic acne so she could inject some of the cysts. She mentioned that trying to cut out dairy first (before tackling gluten) might be the way to go. Now I'm considering doing that for a few weeks while waiting for my gluten test and its results. I love, love, love greek yogurt (daily) and lattes with 1% cow's milk (also daily). Will be tough!!

Anyone have good luck with doing this??

MemberMember
(@ladolcevita95)

Posted : 09/03/2013 7:20 pm

I've tried cutting out gluten and dairy. However, during that time period, ironically, my acne got worse than ever! I tried drinking Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk during that time as a substitute. It was actually really delicious, a lot better than cow's milk actually, but due to my troublesome skin I stopped.

Cutting out sugar, milk, and gluten is theoretically beneficial because sugary foods cause insulin spikes in the blood which often triggers acne in many people. But I guess everyone reacts differently, so you should try it for yourself (:

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/03/2013 7:30 pm

Those are usually the common triggers, but you have to give it some time, especially if you have been eating those foods your whole life. Going dairy or gluten -free for a couple of weeks might not make a dramatic difference - you have to stick with it for at least a month or two before you eliminate something else.

MemberMember
(@40andacne)

Posted : 09/03/2013 7:33 pm

Thanks guys. I figured I'd have to give it a shot for about 2 months or so. Bums me out though since I really love yogurt and real milk for my morning lattes. Guess I'm looking for some success stories to push me along? ;)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/04/2013 11:20 am

Or maybe it's oranges. Or peanuts. Or almonds, Or strawberries. Or tomatoes. Or trans fats. Or Soy. You have to figure out for yourself via a methodical elimination diet.

That said, gluten isn't good for anyone and dairy shouldn't be a big part of your diet. And what you do consume, should be in fermented form.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 09/04/2013 12:03 pm

I've tried cutting out gluten and dairy. However, during that time period, ironically, my acne got worse than ever! I tried drinking Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk during that time as a substitute. It was actually really delicious, a lot better than cow's milk actually, but due to my troublesome skin I stopped.

Cutting out sugar, milk, and gluten is theoretically beneficial because sugary foods cause insulin spikes in the blood which often triggers acne in many people. But I guess everyone reacts differently, so you should try it for yourself (:

You could have an almond allergy/insensitivity. I drank almond milk and ate almonds for the longest time, thinking they were good for my skin. Definitely not the case, as I figured out eventually.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/04/2013 4:18 pm

One way to figure out what your sensitivities are is to isolate a particular food group (e.g. dairy) and eat it on its own without anything else. Then notice how your body reacts as it digests it. If you feel bloated, gassy, drowsy, and/or uncomfortable that's either an indication of a food intolerance or poor digestion. Even if you are not allergic to something, your digestion might be impaired which can lead to various food intolerances. A food diary that records your symptoms might be useful, but you have to be methodical about elimination diets otherwise it will take a while to figure out your triggers.

While you figure out your food intolerances, you could try taking digestive enzymes and see if that helps with your skin. If the enzymes help, it could mean that your body isn't digesting some foods properly.

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 09/04/2013 9:01 pm

i stopped eating dairy because when i began eating yoghurt everyday (i thought the calcium would be beneficial), i started to get deep painful spots, and i have to say my skin has been better overall since i stopped (probably about two to three months ago).

i'm pretty much dairy free now, though i do still eat pizza every now and again tongue.png

i actually found it really easy, and i'm someone who LOVES cheese and yoghurt. i try to keep the mindset that if it's going to help my skin, i'll do whatever it takes.

i found supplementing rice milk for normal milk helped me too - i use it in my tea and porridge and actually really like the taste. i don't think i'd go back to cow's milk now. unsweetened almond milk is also yummy.

good luck!

MemberMember
(@40andacne)

Posted : 09/07/2013 12:27 pm

Well, I'm on day 3 of dairy-free and it's bit tough. I wasn't one to just sit down and have a big glass of milk, but love it in my morning latte or cap and none of the non-dairy subs I've found froth or taste as good :( But I'm trying to stick it out. I think I found some yogurt subs that I like. My biggest challenge is that we eat out a lot on the weekends. I'm trying to do my menu research ahead of time online, but it's still really difficult when there are so many hidden dairy ingredients. For example, I inadvertently ate dairy yesterday for lunch when I got a meatball marinara sub from Subway. The meatballs have traces of cheese in them. So bummed. Oh well...it will take a while to get it all ironed out I'm sure.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/07/2013 2:15 pm

Awww don't worry, it really isn't that bad! It could be so much worse.. I'm gluten (1 1/2 years) and dairy free (2-3 months) and I L O V E how I feel. Why would humans drink cow's milk intended for calves anyhow?? I have acid reflux and a million other digestion issues along with a lot of allergies. Some I still can't pinpoint. I can only imagine how someone allergic to soy would feel.. for the love of god I hope I'm not!

Try seeing an allergist if you haven't already. I'm going in soon to test EEEEVERYTHING. :)

Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@40andacne)

Posted : 09/09/2013 6:38 pm

Thanks Stephanie (my name also btw) :)

Finally found a brand of almond milk that I like in my morning latte (Almond Breeze Original)...yayyyy!

Tried vegan shredded cheddar cheese tonight on my taco salad - almost hurled! Terrible! Same with the Tofutti sour cream. I'll just go without.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/11/2013 5:01 pm

Thanks Stephanie (my name also btw) smile.png

Finally found a brand of almond milk that I like in my morning latte (Almond Breeze Original)...yayyyy!

Tried vegan shredded cheddar cheese tonight on my taco salad - almost hurled! Terrible! Same with the Tofutti sour cream. I'll just go without.

Yeah, that soy "cheese" crap is terrible. Doesn't even melt. Haha but I looooooove almond milk! I try to get the unsweetened kind, but I can't resist the Vanilla Sweetened one!! I think I need to cut out all processed foods. I just get so anxious and overwhelmed.. but really it's quite easy!

I just need to eat mostly veggies, some brown rice, a small amount of fruits, and see how I feel. Even cut out nuts and soy to see if they're a problem.

Gotta love the experimenting we go through!