Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Test Before Taking?

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 09/02/2013 1:17 pm

I want to try Spironolactone. Can I test if I'm allergic to it before taking it? Like if I'm going to develop, etc..

OR do you know of any oral acne treatment, that has less or less severe side effects?

I got moderate acne. Lots of blackheads and some cysts. Been of the acne.org-'the regimen' for about 1 week now, so I want to switch it out.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 09/02/2013 4:34 pm

Very few (if any) doctors will prescribe spironolactone for men because of its potent anti-androgen effects.

Spironolactone is a generally well-tolerated medication by women. In men, dose-related side effects, such as decreased libido, impotence, and gynecomastia, have limited its use in this population.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 09/02/2013 4:41 pm

Very few (if any) doctors will prescribe spironolactone for men because of its potent anti-androgen effects.

Spironolactone is a generally well-tolerated medication by women. In men, dose-related side effects, such as decreased libido, impotence, and gynecomastia, have limited its use in this population.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2923944/pdf/jcad_2_12_16.pdf

Thanks! 🙂

Anyone got any recommendations on a oral acne treatment?

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 09/02/2013 4:49 pm

For moderate acne in males, there are two options in terms of oral treatments:

1. Oral antibiotics (such as minocycline or oxytetracycline) which work best in combination with a topical retinoid (e.g. Differin or Retin-A)
  2. Accutane

F2.large.jpg

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 09/02/2013 4:50 pm

Have you seen a Dermatologist?

No. But I want to come prepared and come with a recommendation. 🙂