Notifications
Clear all

Gentlest Cleansing Wipes For Removing Make-Up?

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 09/02/2013 10:51 am

Hey guys!

I'm having some problems with how best to go about removing my make-up at the end of the day and wanted to get your input on what cleansing wipes or cleansers you've had success with for this purpose.

Because I'm using Epiduo at the moment I'm trying to keep added irritation to an absolute minimum so I've been using Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser in the morning and at night and my sensitive skin seems to really love the stuff. The problem is that it's completely incapable of removing foundation on its own (believe me, I've tried) so I've been using Simple brand cleansing wipes to remove the make-up, then following this up with the Cetaphil and my normal routine, but my I've found this to be quite irritating on my skin. This might just be because my skin has never got on that well with Simple products in general, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a gentler alternative? Before the Simple ones I was also using Johnson & Johnson and prior to that Witch, but my skin definitely liked those ones even less.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received! smile.png

(@LewisS)

Posted : 09/02/2013 10:55 am

I second this post. I'm going to a festival next year and don't want to use anything too harsh. Wipes are what damaged my skin in the first place - the ones with a ton of alcohol and parabens.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 09/02/2013 11:21 am

i ran into this issue a while back- i have to use a gentle cleanser (cerave) but the problem is i still had obvious makeup residue on my skin. I went out and got those simple cleansing whips - but they were way to harsh for my skin and it felt like a double cleanse. So thats me there clueless what to do because the brand simple doesn't even work for me. Well a year ago i discovered Bioderma (the sensitive version) and i thought i would give it a whirl. I put a couple drops on a cotton wool and gently remove my makeup. I have never in a million years been so happy with a product Ive repurchased 3 times so far- bioderma comes in a 500Ml bottle which should last the average person about 3+ months. Okay now this product is awesome but because its available no where except amazon in the states- its difficult to get. Amazon sells it for 25 to 30 dollars ( i know- burn my wallet) Okay i will get to the end of the story loreal makes almost a dupe for it that i may try after im done with my current bottle - you should really give it a shot :) good luck! also if you do get it dont forgot cotton rounds (the non exfoliating kind) http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/skincare/cleansing/skin-perfection/purifying-micellar-water.aspx

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 09/02/2013 12:02 pm

i ran into this issue a while back- i have to use a gentle cleanser (cerave) but the problem is i still had obvious makeup residue on my skin. I went out and got those simple cleansing whips - but they were way to harsh for my skin and it felt like a double cleanse. So thats me there clueless what to do because the brand simple doesn't even work for me. Well a year ago i discovered Bioderma (the sensitive version) and i thought i would give it a whirl. I put a couple drops on a cotton wool and gently remove my makeup. I have never in a million years been so happy with a product Ive repurchased 3 times so far- bioderma comes in a 500Ml bottle which should last the average person about 3+ months. Okay now this product is awesome but because its available no where except amazon in the states- its difficult to get. Amazon sells it for 25 to 30 dollars ( i know- burn my wallet) Okay i will get to the end of the story loreal makes almost a dupe for it that i may try after im done with my current bottle - you should really give it a shot smile.png good luck! also if you do get it dont forgot cotton rounds (the non exfoliating kind) http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/skincare/cleansing/skin-perfection/purifying-micellar-water.aspx

Thank you so much for the suggestion! :) I will look into the Bioderma but I imagine if it's difficult to get hold of in the States it will be nigh on impossible to get here in the UK. However I might give the Loreal alternative a go if I can find it anywhere. My hair and scalp hated Loreal shampoo when I tried using it years ago but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean my skin won't get on with their skin products and from the link you gave that one does look extra gentle. I think cost will probably be the deciding factor on whether or not I try it!

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 09/02/2013 12:59 pm

i ran into this issue a while back- i have to use a gentle cleanser (cerave) but the problem is i still had obvious makeup residue on my skin. I went out and got those simple cleansing whips - but they were way to harsh for my skin and it felt like a double cleanse. So thats me there clueless what to do because the brand simple doesn't even work for me. Well a year ago i discovered Bioderma (the sensitive version) and i thought i would give it a whirl. I put a couple drops on a cotton wool and gently remove my makeup. I have never in a million years been so happy with a product Ive repurchased 3 times so far- bioderma comes in a 500Ml bottle which should last the average person about 3+ months. Okay now this product is awesome but because its available no where except amazon in the states- its difficult to get. Amazon sells it for 25 to 30 dollars ( i know- burn my wallet) Okay i will get to the end of the story loreal makes almost a dupe for it that i may try after im done with my current bottle - you should really give it a shot smile.png good luck! also if you do get it dont forgot cotton rounds (the non exfoliating kind) http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/skincare/cleansing/skin-perfection/purifying-micellar-water.aspx

Thank you so much for the suggestion! smile.png I will look into the Bioderma but I imagine if it's difficult to get hold of in the States it will be nigh on impossible to get here in the UK. However I might give the Loreal alternative a go if I can find it anywhere. My hair and scalp hated Loreal shampoo when I tried using it years ago but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean my skin won't get on with their skin products and from the link you gave that one does look extra gentle. I think cost will probably be the deciding factor on whether or not I try it!

Bioderma is a french brand and its pretty easy to get hold of in the UK because it has a bit of a cult following here (can only order it online though as far as I know). Personally cetaphil removed even long wearing concealer for me but then my skin is really oily so it comes off really easily.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 09/02/2013 1:01 pm

actually i think its easier to get a hold of in the uk because they did a product launch there earlier this year- i believe they launched it in london - but if you ever- ever go to paris they sell 2x500Ml for i think half the price because the product is based in france. good luck!

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/02/2013 1:30 pm

I personally use Target Brand's Up & Up... I also love the Simple wipes (the non-exfoliating ones obviously). Both are gentle.

I've tried plenty that broke me out (ESPECIALLY say yes to cucumbers) but the Target brand ones seems to soothe my skin at the same time, and I have very, VERY sensitive skin.

Just wondering.. do you have any makeup brands or products that don't break you out that you could recommend?

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 09/02/2013 2:28 pm

Thank you everyone! I have since looked on Amazon and you are all right that it seems to be fairly easy to get hold of the Bioderma brand in the UK (I'd never heard of it so had no idea it was French). I've also found the L'Oreal one at a fairly sensible price and an Eau Thermale Avene one that looks like a very similar product as well so now I seem to be spoilt for choice!

I personally use Target Brand's Up & Up... I also love the Simple wipes (the non-exfoliating ones obviously). Both are gentle.

I've tried plenty that broke me out (ESPECIALLY say yes to cucumbers) but the Target brand ones seems to soothe my skin at the same time, and I have very, VERY sensitive skin.

Just wondering.. do you have any makeup brands or products that don't break you out that you could recommend?

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/02/2013 4:20 pm

Thank you everyone! I have since looked on Amazon and you are all right that it seems to be fairly easy to get hold of the Bioderma brand in the UK (I'd never heard of it so had no idea it was French). I've also found the L'Oreal one at a fairly sensible price and an Eau Thermale Avene one that looks like a very similar product as well so now I seem to be spoilt for choice!

Thanks for the face wipe recommendations. smile.png I shall have a look into them!

I've had so much trouble finding make-up that doesn't break me out and I've tried a lot of different things. The only one I've found that reliably doesn't break me out is Maybelline's Pure Liquid Mineral Foundation. I've used it for years and it's the only thing my skin tolerates so now I would never use anything else. Unfortunately that is literally the only thing I can recommend because all powders and concealers break me out and even other Maybelline liquid foundations do the same (their Superstay 24 hour one gave me an absolutely horrific breakout and I think that was because it had a much more waxy kind of consistency compared to the mineral one which seems to be more water-based but dries on really nicely).

Yeah! Me too!! I'm trying more pure stuff now... you should try out Ultra Pure Cosmetics! I have gluten sensitivity and am allergic to practically every product out there. While I don't know if this is helping, it sure isn't aggravating my acne and it looks GREAT. You can always try the sample set.

I LOVED Superstay 24 Hour but it always slid off my face like some creature that belongs in a swamp.

I know that Cover Girl's Advanced Radiance has NEVER EVER broken me out. It can be hard to find a good shade but seriously try that out. And Physician's Formula Powders if you haven't yet.

Definitely keep makeup to a minimum.. I wish I had pretty skin to show off, but I can't stand my face without makeup. :\ One day!

Some people say dimethicone really breaks them out, while others say it's fine. So check out all of the ingredients.. and when in doubt go to Ulta's website to check out the reviews. Lots of people have problematic skin and you'll be able to see their experiences with it!

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 09/02/2013 9:38 pm

anything from Avene is wonderful! or La Roche Posay

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 09/03/2013 5:58 am

Yeah! Me too!! I'm trying more pure stuff now... you should try out Ultra Pure Cosmetics! I have gluten sensitivity and am allergic to practically every product out there. While I don't know if this is helping, it sure isn't aggravating my acne and it looks GREAT. You can always try the sample set.

I LOVED Superstay 24 Hour but it always slid off my face like some creature that belongs in a swamp.

I know that Cover Girl's Advanced Radiance has NEVER EVER broken me out. It can be hard to find a good shade but seriously try that out. And Physician's Formula Powders if you haven't yet.

Definitely keep makeup to a minimum.. I wish I had pretty skin to show off, but I can't stand my face without makeup. :\ One day!

Some people say dimethicone really breaks them out, while others say it's fine. So check out all of the ingredients.. and when in doubt go to Ulta's website to check out the reviews. Lots of people have problematic skin and you'll be able to see their experiences with it!

Thanks for all the make-up suggestions, I really appreciate them! I try to keep make-up down to as little as possible but my skin's just awful so I do need decent coverage unfortunately. I'll definitely look into some of the ones you've mentioned though, especially the powders. I've been looking for years for a powder that doesn't break me out because my skin looks so shiny all the time without one but so far I haven't had any success.

anything from Avene is wonderful! or La Roche Posay

Thanks! I've actually just found one from La Roche Posay as well and they seem to stock both of these ones in Boots so I'm going to take a look at them both tomorrow. smile.png Thanks so much for your advice! Really hoping this will be the solution to my problem.