Notifications
Clear all

I Need "no Picking" Buddies!

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/31/2013 6:27 pm

Hey all biggrin.png

I'm a 22 year old female who has acne for about 8 years now. I have always had a problem with picking at my skin. If I get a new spot, I pretty much have to pop it or peel off any flaking skin. I know for a fact that picking really and truly exacerbates my acne. In fact, I may even go so far as to say that it causes most of it nowadays. My skin is usually A LOT better when I decide not to pick at it very much.

I really need a teammate (or teammates!) who will join me in a "No Picking Challenge."

We can make up rules for ourselves-- for example: You can pull off any obvious skin that is falling off but NO SQUEEZING or ripping off scabs!

I think we should document with pictures or detailed descriptions of our acne state and keep each other accountable!

Picking is terrible! It causes me a lot of grief and I can't be the only one out there with this problem!

Let me know if you're in! biggrin.png

-heitea

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/31/2013 7:46 pm

Just want everyone to know that I just looked in the mirror, saw a zit that has filled back up after picking it this morning and DID NOT re-pick it.

:) proud of myself.

I'll post a picture of what I'm starting with tomorrow morning. :)

Also, wow...I'm 23, not 22. I hate getting older -_- I guess I was in denial in my first post. haha

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 09/01/2013 7:39 am

Hey heitea! I think I could do with being part of this! I notice that when I pick my skin is way worse, so any incentive not to pick would be great.

Count me in! :)

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 09/01/2013 8:39 am

There are a few threads on here that explores the psychology of 'picking' as it is a habit, and there is some great info on how to overcome it. All the best

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/01/2013 10:31 am

Hey heitea! I think I could do with being part of this! I notice that when I pick my skin is way worse, so any incentive not to pick would be great.

Count me in! smile.png

Yay! I'm going to post a "before" picture soon. It's a little scary. You don't have to post pictures (obviously), but do so if you please! haha biggrin.png Glad you're on board!

There are a few threads on here that explores the psychology of 'picking' as it is a habit, and there is some great info on how to overcome it. All the best

Yes, there is most definitely a psychological aspect to the whole thing. I notice I do it more when I'm stressed or anxious. My perfectionist qualities become magnified. Thanks for the encouragement! biggrin.png

Checking in:

Picked at one spot today on my right cheekbone. I really shouldn't have at all. The rules for myself are as follows:

1. No squeezing/trying to pop "under the skin" zits (cysts, nodules), closed comedones, or blackheads

2. If there is a large white head that is ready to pop, it MUST be done with clean hands and tissue paper.

3. Loose skin (dry skin) is alright to flake off as long as I'm not scrubbing at my face.

4. No leaning over the sink.

5. No picking at my skin when I have makeup on.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/01/2013 3:36 pm

Can I join too! I'm in a different post too but it will be helpful for me to be in more then one. Maybe more incentive!

Absolutely! We'll all just check in once or twice a day to keep each other in line! haha :D

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/01/2013 3:58 pm

oh another thread! i'll join this one two, since i know we've had a few chats on here recently.

how long is this one? 30 consecutive days?

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/01/2013 4:02 pm

oh another thread! i'll join this one two, since i know we've had a few chats on here recently.

Yeah! I made a new one to encourage other people to help me out haha :P

30 consecutive days is the first hurdle-- lifetime is the ultimate goal!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 09/01/2013 4:08 pm

You can do it! I used to be the worst picker ever and thought nothing of it - now I freak out even if my hand touches my face, never mind picking.

Just try stay conscious of where your hands are and if you notice yourself going to pick, move away as quick as possible and take a mental note of that relapse. Once your skin starts improving, you'll really hate the thought of touching your face like myself.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/01/2013 4:09 pm

Yeah! I made a new one to encourage other people to help me out haha tongue.png

haha! do you know what i've thought about doing, i know it sounds like swapping a bad habbit for another one (and in many ways it is) but.. I was thinking, smoking would help me to relax.. now before anyone jumps down my throat i am talking about those vapour devices and smoking flavoured liquid that has NO nicotine in it.

the reason i think this could help me is because 1) it would give my hands something to do when i feel like i may want to pick 2) it uses deep breathing, thus relaxing you

another thing, i've recently managed to grow my finger nails! and my mum noticed and said she hadnt seen me with normal looking finger nails since i was about 8 years old!

anyway, i'm going to try to not pick, but it just seems the temptation is over whelming. I get such a kick out of getting the crap out the pore. but i know i need to leave the skin.

@lewis, i never touch my face during the day if im out etc, the only time is once i have thoroughly washed them.

have you read that stop picking on me guide that floats about the net

MemberMember
(@blackbettybambalam)

Posted : 09/01/2013 10:52 pm

Lol, this post is hilarious. Do you guys just text each other "OMG I am about to pick!!!" ....."Don't do it man, don't do it"

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/02/2013 3:34 am

haha when you look at it objectively it is slightly flawed. however turning it into a competition and sharing experiences and what works/doesnt work etc will make it easier to try and get out this bad habbit

hitea liked
MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/02/2013 3:24 pm

Lol, this post is hilarious. Do you guys just text each other "OMG I am about to pick!!!" ....."Don't do it man, don't do it"

haha....no, not at all. I just think about this thread when I go in for the kill.

but yes, it is kind of hilarious. but, for me, it's a problem and even though I can usually laugh at myself, there have been times when I have been really depressed after a session of picking my own skin. I'm just looking for support.

Yeah! I made a new one to encourage other people to help me out haha tongue.png

haha! do you know what i've thought about doing, i know it sounds like swapping a bad habbit for another one (and in many ways it is) but.. I was thinking, smoking would help me to relax.. now before anyone jumps down my throat i am talking about those vapour devices and smoking flavoured liquid that has NO nicotine in it.

the reason i think this could help me is because 1) it would give my hands something to do when i feel like i may want to pick 2) it uses deep breathing, thus relaxing you

another thing, i've recently managed to grow my finger nails! and my mum noticed and said she hadnt seen me with normal looking finger nails since i was about 8 years old!

anyway, i'm going to try to not pick, but it just seems the temptation is over whelming. I get such a kick out of getting the crap out the pore. but i know i need to leave the skin.

@lewis, i never touch my face during the day if im out etc, the only time is once i have thoroughly washed them.

have you read that stop picking on me guide that floats about the net

Oh good lord, don't start smoking just to get away from picking!

Do something not bad for you like exercising or making origami cranes.

I totally understand getting the stuff out of the pore. Otherwise, where the heck is it going to go? In my mind, I might as well just get it out now because sooner or later it's coming out anyway!

UPDATE:

I picked at one small one last night, but treated my face nicely otherwise.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/02/2013 4:53 pm

no its water vapour...!

Yeah, i hate knowing its trapped in the pore, so cant resist to squeeze.

Recently my forehead has been rather greasy and thus caused a fair few small red bumps and black heads (previously my forehead was really good... wtf is going on) and now that ive picked it its looking pretty crap as you can imagine.

today ive picked about 3 spots. 3 popped and some didn't. I also went to town on the area around the nose with an extractor.. and some on my chin,..

all in all ive done the complete opposite of not picking. brilliant.

feel so shit right now lol - least i don't need to go out and face people. need to heal it up asap. thinking a day of aloe vera tomorrow

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 09/02/2013 9:29 pm

It's seven days since I last picked at my skin - yay! My chin area is definitely a lot less red and irritated, and I only have two active spots at the moment.

Keep up the good work everyone!

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/03/2013 4:09 am

It's seven days since I last picked at my skin - yay! My chin area is definitely a lot less red and irritated, and I only have two active spots at the moment.

7 days! that is amazing... tactics?

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 09/03/2013 4:18 am

I've found these things work!

1. not letting myself near a mirror when I'm feeling stressed

2. not sitting in front of a mirror for too long

3. keeping myself busy

4. running when I feel the need to pick (haha - I literally go for a run outside/on the treadmill)

5. I took a photo last time I picked at my skin and it was a red inflamed mess, I looked awful! This usually puts me off touching my face at all.

6. adopting an 'I don't give a shit if I have a few spots on my face' attitude

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/03/2013 5:01 am

I've found these things work!

1. not letting myself near a mirror when I'm feeling stressed

2. not sitting in front of a mirror for too long

3. keeping myself busy

4. running when I feel the need to pick (haha - I literally go for a run outside/on the treadmill)

5. I took a photo last time I picked at my skin and it was a red inflamed mess, I looked awful! This usually puts me off touching my face at all.

6. adopting an 'I don't give a shit if I have a few spots on my face' attitude

sounds decent. I think the mirror is probably the biggest thing, cause without it we wouldnt even know what we looked like anyway :/ lol

!!

hmm as much as id hate to take a photo of my face like this, maybe it would be beneficial.

Yeah that i don't give a shit attitude i think is the key. I think what i'm going to try really hard to do is just not pick what so ever and hopefully my face will clear up... heal up. just right now its a sort of post picked battle ground which looks poop as you know, so when i get another spot or lump i think 'f it' and pick..

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/03/2013 11:10 am

thanks for those tips sorbet! 7 days is awesome!!

I definitely think the "I don't give a shit if I have a couple spots" is the best thing for not picking.

I've been able to go about 5 days without over-picking my face. I've popped a small zit everyday though.

SO. Today, I'm going to see if I can NOT touch my face for the rest of today. And then I'll post a picture tonight of what it looks like. Be aware: I have a lot of healing hyperpigmentation (red marks). Boo.

I'm actually excited because in a couple months, I'll be going to Air Force basic training and I won't even be allowed to look at myself in the mirror for 8.5 weeks! So...I have a feeling it's really going to help my acne. But I'll also not be able to use any of my acne products or makeup. *Cringe*

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/03/2013 12:05 pm

i have been shit again today... picked at all of my forehead... it used to be clear and now its bloody awful... really motivated to not pick now as of now.

cant go on like this...

air force training will be good and if you really cant look in a mirror, i think will heal you of picking for good..!!

MemberMember
(@mandarine)

Posted : 09/03/2013 2:34 pm

Hi,

Picked at my skin this morning. It was so red and inflammed that I applied sticking plasters. It's so huge that it makes relieves, it's disguting.

I feel so ashamed when people talk to me, I'm terrified their eyes stare at my chin and cheek.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/03/2013 6:19 pm

Hi,

Picked at my skin this morning. It was so red and inflammed that I applied sticking plasters. It's so huge that it makes relieves, it's disguting.

I feel so ashamed when people talk to me, I'm terrified their eyes stare at my chin and cheek.

Sometimes the pain and the inflammation just make you need to pick the spot! I know the pain. As long as you just pop the one and then leave everything else, you should be okay!

Glad you joined in!

i have been shit again today... picked at all of my forehead... it used to be clear and now its bloody awful... really motivated to not pick now as of now.

cant go on like this...

air force training will be good and if you really cant look in a mirror, i think will heal you of picking for good..!!

Next time you try to pick at your skin, pull your hands away and just stop. Just tell yourself to stop. That usually works for me. Don't let yourself get too close to the mirror.

Are you picking active spots or blackheads on your forehead?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/04/2013 4:45 am

Hi,

Sometimes the pain and the inflammation just make you need to pick the spot! I know the pain. As long as you just pop the one and then leave everything else, you should be okay!

Glad you joined in!

>i have been shit again today... picked at all of my forehead... it used to be clear and now its bloody awful... really motivated to not pick now as of now.

cant go on like this...

Next time you try to pick at your skin, pull your hands away and just stop. Just tell yourself to stop. That usually works for me. Don't let yourself get too close to the mirror.

Yeah not even active spots, just percieved imperfections that probably dont even exist. id say 3 out of 20 were small black heads, and now it looks like acne because of the self inflicted marks.. this is so bad :(

might sign on to cbt at my hospital

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/04/2013 9:38 am

Hi,

Glad you joined in!

>i have been shit again today... picked at all of my forehead... it used to be clear and now its bloody awful... really motivated to not pick now as of now.

cant go on like this...

Yeah not even active spots, just percieved imperfections that probably dont even exist. id say 3 out of 20 were small black heads, and now it looks like acne because of the self inflicted marks.. this is so bad sad.png

might sign on to cbt at my hospital

I do the exact same thing to my forehead! When there's pretty much nothing there...but I still squeeze to see if something will come out. It probably doesn't help that I have pretty large pores.

Try to let it heal and try not to do it again! CBT might be a good idea- I've considered it before.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/04/2013 10:30 am

Thats literally what I do!!! when there is pretty much nothing there, i stand with my nose almost touching the mirror distance and really examine it all. then squeeze hoping i'll get some gunk out .. wtf is wrong with me!

I booked a doc appointment for friday AM - going to see if they can recommend me a treatment/cream etc or derm referal. Because in all honesty if i didn't get spots/black heads, i wouldnt have any desire to squeeze and 'manually' clean my pores.. I just wouldn't have a need.

Going to call CBT again right now. - done..