Notifications
Clear all

Paleo Diet 2013

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 08/31/2013 10:39 am

Hello people, having tried everything apart from 'tane' I have decided that actually I think it could be diet. I firmly believe that the stomach is linked to the brain more than we know, and that if you fix your internal gut, you will fix not only your skin conditions but overall mood and wellbeing.

that being said, has anyone done the paleo diet? or currently doing it?

I am 99% sure i am lactose intolerant and thus haven't eat dairy for years now.. and it got rid of cysts and nodules that I used to get frequently. I am almost clear, just seem to break out no and again. So I think it could possible be to do with carbs.. as I remember when my dad was losing weight he cut carbs and he noticed that his spots on his back went away..

anyway, can anyone help me get started on this? like what do you eat for break fast/ lunch/ dinner/ and snacks...

Hoping this diet will really put the nail in the coffin in terms of spots and actually uplift my mind and body, giving me more energy and clear state of mind.

MemberMember
(@cookiej)

Posted : 08/31/2013 11:01 am

I've personally noticed my skin get clearer, but not cured, when I eat "clean" (low GI carb) foods. I've basically noticed that my skin's oiliness is quite significantly influenced by my diet.

Some people will tell you that glycemic index is an outdated and irrelevant number, and that diet has no effect on your skin, and some people will tell you otherwise. I think you should experiment for yourself. :)

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 08/31/2013 11:11 am

hey there, no, i agree. Low GI has substantially calmed my skin down. I know if i eat sugar i break out.. it always happens. So for the past 3 years my diet has been brown grains and no sugar, just water for drinks (apart from when i go out on the town) and yeah, in general, pretty healthy!

as I say, I cant tollerate dairy so have omitted that for a long time now. Im pretty sure its the milk proteins though (but i just say lactose intolerant because people know that better)

MemberMember
(@cookiej)

Posted : 08/31/2013 11:42 am

I also cut out dairy recently because I've had poor digestion for a long time. Though I'm not sure if I'm dairy intolerant or not - I cut out gluten about 2 weeks before cutting out dairy (my main suspicion for intolerance), and my digestion improved immediately (still eating dairy at this point). Nothing extra has happened since removing dairy. Regarding dairy and acne, I think there is more "research" supporting the dairy-acne connection more-so than anything else at this moment in time. I think it may have affected my skin as well, even though I don't think that I'm dairy intolerant.

In terms of the sugar thing, I can definitely relate! I think there are a few other things that cause me to be more oily/breakout. I think that eating too many calories affects me. Makes sense. Your hormonal levels are different when you eat more than you burn (bodybuilders do this so that they have the correct hormonal response / excess energy for building muscle). I'm pretty sure that eating too many carbs/fats in general also causes me to be more oily. I've been experimenting with this stuff for about 4 years now

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 08/31/2013 12:13 pm

I did eat paleo for about 6 months, didn't notice a significant difference in my skin but I didn't really eat unhealthy to begin with and rarely had dairy. I do think it's more about low GI (since carbs affect blood sugar) unless you truly do have an allergy/intolerance. So some of my typical breakfasts would just be eggs with fruit/veggies/meat, hemp protein shakes mixed with fruit and almond milk, I bought almond meal to make pancakes out of and would make in bulk to freeze. Lunch I always have a salad with a combination of a protein (meat, eggs, fish) with lots of veggies. I'll snack on things like trail mix, celery with hummus or nut butter, fruit, larabars, coconut yogurt ... Dinner was just a protein and vegetable. But there's so many websites that give interesting recipes so it's not that hard to do. I found it difficult to maintain weight while on this diet though (but I wasn't very exact about tracking calories and such). Best of luck

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/31/2013 7:54 pm

I did the Whole30 challenge 2 months ago and noticed a bit of a change in my skin when I did so. The Whole30 is purely paleo eating, and it ended up making my body look awesome! haha

It lessened the redness of my acne, I think, but didn't change the fact that I was still breaking out. I think my skin was also less dry while doing the Whole30 which could have been due to the amounts of fish and avocados I was eating. I don't eat chicken or beef, so it was a Pescetarian Paleo Whole30.

I'm pretty sure I'm lactose-sensitive or lactose-intolerant, too. Plain Greek yogurt doesn't give me any problems, but milk and ice cream kill my stomach so much. Ouch. I try to not consume very many sugars, either. Paleo is kind of fun to do, and I think that it's incredibly healthy, but can kind of make you go crazy. I think that a 90% Paleo diet with 10% "cheats" would be ideal. I lost about 5 lbs during those 30 days and looked really toned! I work out, so that also aided to that, but I could finally see my abs!

MemberMember
(@cookiej)

Posted : 09/01/2013 5:33 am

I did the Whole30 challenge 2 months ago and noticed a bit of a change in my skin when I did so. The Whole30 is purely paleo eating, and it ended up making my body look awesome! haha

It lessened the redness of my acne, I think, but didn't change the fact that I was still breaking out. I think my skin was also less dry while doing the Whole30 which could have been due to the amounts of fish and avocados I was eating. I don't eat chicken or beef, so it was a Pescetarian Paleo Whole30.

I'm pretty sure I'm lactose-sensitive or lactose-intolerant, too. Plain Greek yogurt doesn't give me any problems, but milk and ice cream kill my stomach so much. Ouch. I try to not consume very many sugars, either. Paleo is kind of fun to do, and I think that it's incredibly healthy, but can kind of make you go crazy. I think that a 90% Paleo diet with 10% "cheats" would be ideal. I lost about 5 lbs during those 30 days and looked really toned! I work out, so that also aided to that, but I could finally see my abs!

I think the same happened to me! It didn't necessarily cure me, but it improved the appearance of my skin due to less inflammation etc.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/01/2013 8:16 am

awesome thanks for all the replies!

I don't honestly think it will be that hard for me to do, i love snacking on nuts, ive not eaten yoghurt, ice cream, pizza, fizzy drinks etc for as long as i can remember (as in casually) I drank gin and tonic last night lol... feeling like poop just now.

How do you mean it can drive you crazy ?!

seems like i'll be living on protein and veg then!

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/01/2013 10:13 am

I don't honestly think it will be that hard for me to do, i love snacking on nuts, ive not eaten yoghurt, ice cream, pizza, fizzy drinks etc for as long as i can remember (as in casually) I drank gin and tonic last night lol... feeling like poop just now.

It only drove me crazy because on the Whole30, you're not allowed to eat anything with certain vegetable or nut oils (sunflower seed oil, canola, etc), so I was constantly checking to see if there were added oils. It just made me...obsessed...with food. Plus, for some reason, I was having a hard time getting enough calories for my workouts, so I was tired until about the 27th day! haha Afterwards, though, I felt really great and like CookieJ said, it makes the redness (read: inflammation) lessen to a pretty good extent.

I say give it a go. You've already won half the battle by not eating ice cream and pizza. Gin and tonic isn't too bad for you, but too much of it is :P haha Do you like red wine? Some paleo people allow a glass or two a week (or just one a day! haha).

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/01/2013 11:37 am

Numerous threads here on what to have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, drinks. And links to good sites for recipes & advice.

MemberMember
(@cookiej)

Posted : 09/01/2013 11:57 am

It only drove me crazy because on the Whole30, you're not allowed to eat anything with certain vegetable or nut oils (sunflower seed oil, canola, etc), so I was constantly checking to see if there were added oils. It just made me...obsessed...with food. Plus, for some reason, I was having a hard time getting enough calories for my workouts, so I was tired until about the 27th day! haha Afterwards, though, I felt really great and like CookieJ said, it makes the redness (read: inflammation) lessen to a pretty good extent.

I say give it a go. You've already won half the battle by not eating ice cream and pizza. Gin and tonic isn't too bad for you, but too much of it is tongue.png haha Do you like red wine? Some paleo people allow a glass or two a week (or just one a day! haha).

Due to my current dietary restrictions that are sort of similar the Paleo diet, I've also been finding it really hard to get enough calories. Not good! I don't want to lose weight!!

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/01/2013 12:15 pm

thanks for those links! info overload! like a rabbit hole that keeps getting deeper!

so after 27 days you felt great what made you stop? surely its fairly easy to omit sunflower oil?

just cook with coconut oil and EVOO ?

Yes that is my main concern is losing weight, If anything I want to bulk up for the gym! so thinking, eating loads of cashews and brazil nuts. They are very high in calories

also what is the deal with fruit juices? can you eat any fruit? i make fruit smoothies and wondered if those are ok?

also i found a great link here > that has 18 simple paleo recipes

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/18-easy-paleo-diet-recipes

also has a paleo shopping list > http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/paleo-diet-shopping-list

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/01/2013 3:27 pm

thanks for those links! info overload! like a rabbit hole that keeps getting deeper!

so after 27 days you felt great what made you stop? surely its fairly easy to omit sunflower oil?

Yes that is my main concern is losing weight, If anything I want to bulk up for the gym! so thinking, eating loads of cashews and brazil nuts. They are very high in calories

also what is the deal with fruit juices? can you eat any fruit? i make fruit smoothies and wondered if those are ok?

also has a paleo shopping list > http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/paleo-diet-shopping-list

I was traveling while doing the Whole30 and wanted some nuts, but they had added sunflower seed oil.

I cooked with coconut and olive oil all the time! I LOVE tilapia with coconut oil. It's so incredibly good. Also, if you cut up a sweet potato in "chip" slices and then sautee them in coconut oil with a little bit of curry powder...it's literally the best thing I've ever eaten. Just make sure you don't use high heat with coconut oil because it will make the room smoky.

I didn't stop after 27 days... I did the whole entire 30 days. The reason I didn't keep going with Paleo eating is mostly because I wanted to go out with friends and eat non-paleo foods and drinks.

However, I would totally be willing to do it again with a cheat meal or two thrown in.

I think cashews are the way to go if you want to get some more calories! That and lots of meat and eggs. You can make your own fruit juices; you just don't want the added sugar of the pre-made fruit juices in the store.

This is a really nice shopping list that I used when I did the Whole30: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/01/2013 3:49 pm

I was traveling while doing the Whole30 and wanted some nuts, but they had added sunflower seed oil.

I cooked with coconut and olive oil all the time! I LOVE tilapia with coconut oil. It's so incredibly good. Also, if you cut up a sweet potato in "chip" slices and then sautee them in coconut oil with a little bit of curry powder...it's literally the best thing I've ever eaten. Just make sure you don't use high heat with coconut oil because it will make the room smoky.

I didn't stop after 27 days... I did the whole entire 30 days. The reason I didn't keep going with Paleo eating is mostly because I wanted to go out with friends and eat non-paleo foods and drinks.

However, I would totally be willing to do it again with a cheat meal or two thrown in.

I think cashews are the way to go if you want to get some more calories! That and lots of meat and eggs. You can make your own fruit juices; you just don't want the added sugar of the pre-made fruit juices in the store.

This is a really nice shopping list that I used when I did the Whole30: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List.pdf

oh i see! yeah easier to follow any diet when not on holiday or with friends..

not tried tilapia? what is that! tonight i had sweet potato with drizzled EVOO and salt and pepper, then dashed on some cinnamon powder and it was awesome! ive had it with curry pow as well and i agree its so lush! also a rump steak, lettuce, cucumber, baby tomatoes, avocado. yum!

thanks for the tip with the coconut oil cooking temp.

i'm struggling with no bread or rice(i love chicken wraps) but tbh, i'll just replace with sweet potato lol!

that link with the menu is amazing! thanks so much, im going to print it off and stick it in my kitchen

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/01/2013 4:07 pm

Hm...you've inspired me to give this another try.

However...for me, I'm going to make a few adjustments. Not pure paleo, but 90% paleo. As in, sometimes *good* bread and very seldom WINE! :D

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/01/2013 4:20 pm

However...for me, I'm going to make a few adjustments. Not pure paleo, but 90% paleo. As in, sometimes *good* bread and very seldom WINE! biggrin.png

Awesome! we can share our meals and snacks then, I am at the very basic level right now, no exciting recipes but i'll get there. What would you regard as good bread? I dont mind going the whole hog on this paleo diet tbh, as i have said before i cant have dairy, so this is the icing on the cake.

i will at least do it for 3 months and see how i feel and look, as i am doing this as much for well being as 'consistent' clear skin

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/01/2013 4:24 pm

However...for me, I'm going to make a few adjustments. Not pure paleo, but 90% paleo. As in, sometimes *good* bread and very seldom WINE! biggrin.png

Awesome! we can share our meals and snacks then, I am at the very basic level right now, no exciting recipes but i'll get there. What would you regard as good bread? I dont mind going the whole hog on this paleo diet tbh, as i have said before i cant have dairy, so this is the icing on the cake.

i will at least do it for 3 months and see how i feel and look, as i am doing this as much for well being as 'consistent' clear skin

I'll be pretty basic with my recipes, too. :P mostly just easy stuff like sauteeing veggies.

Also-- I don't eat chicken or beef so just fish for me in the meat department! :D

Well, Ezekial bread has tons of grains in it, but no wheat. So, it's quite nutritionally sound.