Notifications
Clear all

Calling All Knowledgable Health Junkies!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/29/2013 9:28 pm

Okay, so I am on a very good supplement regimen. I have always taken vitamins (basically whatever my dad handed me), but for the past month, I have been religiously taking all the supplements listed below (see signature). Upon doing some research, there are a couple things that I want to add in, but I don't know what forms or how much of anything I should put into my body. I rummaged through my shelves and found a few different supplements that seem worth taking, but I wanted to ask all you lovely, knowledgable people what you thought of it first! So, here we go!

Things I want to add: Chromium and Vitamin B Complex of sorts

Other things that people have added (wanting to know if it's worth the time and money): Primrose, Biotin, Vitamin C

Things I'm afraid to add, but think maybe I should: Omega 3 Oils, Cod Liver Oil

Things in my cupboard that look worth a go:

Refora-Plex Supplement (contains: Thiamine 10mg, Riboflavin 10mg, Niacinamide 10mg, Vitamin B-6 10 mg, Folic Acid 200mcg, Vitamin B-12 100mcg)

Nature Made Super B-Complex (Vitamin C 150mg, Thiamin 100mg, Riboflavin 20mg, Niacin 25mg, Vitamin B-6 2mg, Folic Acid 400mcg, Vitamin B-12 15mcg, Biotin 30mcg, Pantothenic Acid 5.5mg)

Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin, and Nails (Vitamin A 5000IU, Vitamin C 120mg, Vitamin D3 100IU, Vitamin E 15IU, Thiamin 5mg, Riboflavin 5mg, Niacin 25mg, Viamin B-6 5mg, Folic Acid 200mcg, Vitamin B-12 8mcg, Biotin 5000mcg or 5mg, Pantothenic Acid 15mg, Calcium 711mg, Iron 3mg, Phosphorus 180mg, Magnesium 100mg, Zinc 7.5mg, Selenium 12.5mcg, Manganese 5mg, Sodium 5mg, PABA 25mg, Choline Bitartrate 75mg, Inositol 30mg, Ribonucleic Acid 30mg, Citrus Bioflavonoid 37.5 mg, Horsetail 3mg, Hydrolyzed Collegan 50mg, Alpha Lipoic Acid 10mg)

I would probably want to add one of the first two listed, and the last one. It seems like the Nature's Bounty Supplement has a lot to offer. I remember taking that supplement a couple years ago when I started losing my hair (medical reasons) and it seemed to at least slow the process down a bit. It also encompasses many of the vitamins that are great for combatting acne in 3 capsules.

What do you guys think? Also, what about any of the others I listed above? I am definitely adding Chromium Picolinate (250mcg, bump up to 500mcg after a week), but I'm a little tentative about any others.

Any and all responses, experiences, advice, and success stories are greatly appreciated! i Trust all your judgment's better than the internet... Thanks in advance Xo

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 08/29/2013 10:08 pm

I take 5ml omega 3 oil per day and one capsule (can't find the mg on the bottle - sorry!) vitamin b complex and have noticed a massive difference in my skin the past two weeks.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/29/2013 10:23 pm

I take 5ml omega 3 oil per day and one capsule (can't find the mg on the bottle - sorry!) vitamin b complex and have noticed a massive difference in my skin the past two weeks.

Thank you so much for replying! That's awesome to hear! I was afraid to take any Omega Oils because it can worsen cystic acne (which I do not and have never had), but I'm afraid it will cause me to develop it. Which is an irrational fear, seeing as I've never had cystic acne (or have any genetics linked to the condition). I am definitely going to start a B-Complex I'm just not sure which one...

Anyone else out there have any insight?

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/29/2013 11:16 pm

Thank you so much for replying! That's aweHooversome to hear! I was afraid to take any Omega Oils because it can worsen cystic acne (which I do not and have never had), but I'm afraid it will cause me to develop it. Which is an irrational fear, seeing as I've never had cystic acne (or have any genetics linked to the condition). I am definitely going to start a B-Complex I'm just not sure which one...

Anyone else out there have any insight?

I've been taking Norwegian cod liver oil. My skin continues to improve. However, my diet has also been much better. Started eating a low gi diet around the same time of starting the cod liver oil. I've read many success stories of people taking flaxseed oil as well. So, therefore, I went out and bought some! Haha, I'm one of those:/..I did, however, read that flaxseed oil is superior to other oils as it has the best balance of the omegas.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/30/2013 12:28 am

It really depends on what your body needs. Something that has worked for others might not work for you. In my case, all the supplements people are raving about on here (esp. vitamin D3, zinc, b-complex) just did not agree with me. It was more about the fillers and preservatives than the actual vitamins, so now I minimized my supplements and switched some to powder form to take it easy on my liver. The liver has to break down the capsule so the more supplements you take, the harder your liver has to work. It's best to find powder forms if possible, or take a good multivitamin. What kept me clear for 2 years (until my acne resurfaced) was solgar's earth source multivitamin - it's one of the best multivitamins I have tried and gives you everything your body needs. My only issue with it is that the % of B12 and B6 is rather high, but all the other minerals and vitamins and herbs provide a good balance. I might get back on it once I'm done with my D2 prescription.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/30/2013 12:56 am

i'd been on zevit for sometime(about 3 mnths i'd say) its a VIT B complex + VIT C + zinc capsule.

its also got nicotinamide and folic acid in small amounts.

i think ite helped with my skin & body over all.

my derma prescribed me that for 6 weeks while i continued for several weeks more.

but i think once you get back on track & have a healthy BALANCED diet , i'd prefer taking in all the vits from your food.

thats the best format u know.

u dont have any risk as such from the "other" ingredients. i remember Wishclean hav have bad experience from vit b capsules.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/30/2013 11:20 am

It really depends on what your body needs. Something that has worked for others might not work for you. In my case, all the supplements people are raving about on here (esp. vitamin D3, zinc, b-complex) just did not agree with me. It was more about the fillers and preservatives than the actual vitamins, so now I minimized my supplements and switched some to powder form to take it easy on my liver. The liver has to break down the capsule so the more supplements you take, the harder your liver has to work. It's best to find powder forms if possible, or take a good multivitamin. What kept me clear for 2 years (until my acne resurfaced) was solgar's earth source multivitamin - it's one of the best multivitamins I have tried and gives you everything your body needs. My only issue with it is that the % of B12 and B6 is rather high, but all the other minerals and vitamins and herbs provide a good balance. I might get back on it once I'm done with my D2 prescription.

That's interesting you mention about the liver. I take my inositol (2x/day) and magnesium( 1x/day) in powder form. I don't think it's negatively impacting my body in a negative way to take my other vitamins in capsule form. I am on a very good multi-vitamin (and quite pricy might I add), so I know I'm getting a proper balance from that supplement. All my capsules are 100% vegetarian with no fillers. I wonder why they didn't agree with you...

i'd been on zevit for sometime(about 3 mnths i'd say) its a VIT B complex + VIT C + zinc capsule.

its also got nicotinamide and folic acid in small amounts.

i think ite helped with my skin & body over all.

my derma prescribed me that for 6 weeks while i continued for several weeks more.

but i think once you get back on track & have a healthy BALANCED diet , i'd prefer taking in all the vits from your food.

thats the best format u know.

u dont have any risk as such from the "other" ingredients. i remember Wishclean hav have bad experience from vit b capsules.

I definitely want to start the B-Complex... Which one sounds better to you from the two I listed above? I've already gotten a lecture about how my malnutrition is making my supplement regimen a waste of time because my body won't absorb anything properly. I'm not completely buying into that theory, so i want to continue on as I normally would. It is true that getting all your vitamins from food is the best way, but that's really only in a perfect world. You'd have to be so meticulous about every morsel of food you'd consume. Sounds exhausting. I'm glad to say that there are no "other ingredients" listed on the supplements that I found in my cabinet!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/30/2013 6:16 pm

What do you eat?

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/31/2013 12:04 am

What do you eat?

Gluten, soy, dairy, and caffeine free diet

Things I do eat on the regular (everything is organic BTW):

White fish (tilapia, cod), chicken, sweet potatoes, every kind of fruits and veggies, almonds, almond butter, almond milk, eggs, smart balance as butter substitute, Koala Krisp gluten-free cereal... I don't really stray from those foods. My diet is very limited only because I choose it to be that way.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/01/2013 11:33 am

What do you eat?

White fish (tilapia, cod), chicken, sweet potatoes, every kind of fruits and veggies, almonds, almond butter, almond milk, eggs, smart balance as butter substitute, Koala Krisp gluten-free cereal... I don't really stray from those foods. My diet is very limited only because I choose it to be that way.

That was an ok list right up until the last two items.

Smart balance is an organic conglomeration of chemicals & esterified oil? Unless you are very intolerant to cow dairy, butter from pastured cows is far healthier.

And organic doesn't make that refined sweetened cereal good. Whole Oats or buckwheat topped with fruit & nuts would be higher protein, minerals, lower GI depending on the fruit.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 09/01/2013 1:44 pm

What do you eat?

Smart balance is an organic conglomeration of chemicals & esterified oil? Unless you are very intolerant to cow dairy, butter from pastured cows is far healthier.

And organic doesn't make that refined sweetened cereal good. Whole Oats or buckwheat topped with fruit & nuts would be higher protein, minerals, lower GI depending on the fruit.

I am extremely intolerant to dairy. I get violently ill after consuming even the most miniscule amounts of it unfortunately, so I do need to use chemical substitutes. I have tried to have meals that contain buckwheat (like pancakes, waffles, bread), but I find that I get full extremely quickly and cannot consume enough to get the proper amount of calories my body needs. Same thing with oats. I usually eat the gluten/wheat-free brands Ezekiel and Udi's for the carbohydrate component to my diet. I'm not sure that sugar aggravates my acne, but I do consume complex/nutritious carbs for the most part, so maybe it is. That's why I wanted to try chromium.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/02/2013 9:14 pm

Before you start the B-complex, btw, look up "b-complex" on acne.org....it's a controversial supplement to take for acne mainly because b-complexes tend to have a really high % of B12 (and sometimes B6 too) compared to all the other Bs. B12 and B6 cause acne in some people, including myself. I just try to get my Bs from food or as separate supplements if I feel I need them. I started supplementing with a bit of inositol powder (B8) for hormonal balance - is it helping you? There are some promising studies on its effects on acne, especially hormonal breakouts.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 09/03/2013 1:38 am

Before you start the B-complex, btw, look up "b-complex" on acne.org....it's a controversial supplement to take for acne mainly because b-complexes tend to have a really high % of B12 (and sometimes B6 too) compared to all the other Bs. B12 and B6 cause acne in some people, including myself. I just try to get my Bs from food or as separate supplements if I feel I need them. I started supplementing with a bit of inositol powder (B8) for hormonal balance - is it helping you? There are some promising studies on its effects on acne, especially hormonal breakouts.

I am taking the Inositol 18g powder form at night. I'm not sure if it's helping with my acne yet. I'm mainly taking it for my OCD to see if I can use it as a substitute for Lithium. It's said to work in the same way (intracellular), so I'm hoping it helps with that. I also read that it helps many women with PCOS to reduce their hormonal acne flare ups. I'm happy to take it for both conditions and will let you know if I see any difference in my acne. It's only been a month I believe since I started taking the Inositol.

As for the B-Complex. I'm still debating on whether or not to take it. It seems the more research I do, the less likely I am to add it to my regimen. I should probably just keep the status quo for another couple months and see where my current regimen takes me. The Hair, Skin, and Nails Vitamin does sound very promising to me though. It did help me when I was losing hair, so maybe it was also helping keep my skin clear (of which my skin status was at the time).

MemberMember
(@marysciencegirl)

Posted : 09/03/2013 5:14 pm

This is mildly off topic, but have you tried Earth Balance (instead of Smart Balance)? Its dairy-free butter made with natural oils. It might be harder for you to find, I'm spoiled where I live with a Whole Foods on every corner, but I think a lot of stores carry it now.

I take B-complex (Whole Foods brand) off and on and have not noticed a difference either way in my energy levels or my acne.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/03/2013 5:26 pm

Rosalie, I beg you to NOT try omega 3 oils of any kind (i.e. fish oil). Get your omega-3s from fatty fish (WILD CAUGHT ONLY).

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/03/2013 7:26 pm

I am taking the Inositol 18g powder form at night. I'm not sure if it's helping with my acne yet. I'm mainly taking it for my OCD to see if I can use it as a substitute for Lithium. It's said to work in the same way (intracellular), so I'm hoping it helps with that. I also read that it helps many women with PCOS to reduce their hormonal acne flare ups. I'm happy to take it for both conditions and will let you know if I see any difference in my acne. It's only been a month I believe since I started taking the Inositol.

As for the B-Complex. I'm still debating on whether or not to take it. It seems the more research I do, the less likely I am to add it to my regimen. I should probably just keep the status quo for another couple months and see where my current regimen takes me. The Hair, Skin, and Nails Vitamin does sound very promising to me though. It did help me when I was losing hair, so maybe it was also helping keep my skin clear (of which my skin status was at the time).

How much of inositol are you taking each night? I think too much can cause nausea and vertigo, so I only take a little bit to help me sleep. I read some great studies about inositol's effects on ADD and OCD, so it's definitely a promising supplement. Do you have PCOS?

In your signature, you say you take Virasyl...is that for colds? Whenever I feel a cold coming on, I take ViraStop, which is a natural enzyme supplement, and I don't get sick.

As for the hair, skin & nails vitamins....I have yet to find one that doesn't contain a high % of biotin (for hair growth) - biotin can make acne worse in high quantities. Probably the best formula I tried short term last year was the MegaFood one, but usually those supplements are a bit risky because something that might be in there for healthy hair could conflict with skin-benefitting ingredients for acne prone people.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 09/04/2013 10:25 am

I take 9g (powder form mixed with water) 2x/day. It can cause nausea, which I am experiencing, but I went off of it for a few days with no improvement so I don't think the Inositol is causing it. I do not have PCOS, but I have read many studies about it Inositol being extremely helpful for those who do have it. I'm still hoping that it will kick in a bit and help with my OCD. I guess it takes a while for your body to build up enough to actually make a difference.

Virasyl is a supplement with the purest form of essential minerals (zinc, copper, iron, etc.). I take it to help with Arthritis pain. I have arthritis in my body caused by malnutrition and weakening of my bones, so yea it kinda sucks. I do find though that it does help with the pain and I'm getting the copper that I need to balance out my zinc intake. I don't believe it's the same thing that you use to prevent colds. I use ColdEeze for that!

I didn't know that Biotin can make acne worse. That's very interesting. Why would they put such high concentrations of it in a "Hair, SKIN, and Nails" supplement if it could actually cause adverse effects. Doesn't seem right to me. What about Biotin aggravates acne?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/04/2013 2:46 pm

Yeah, inositol seems very promising for a number of things, so keep me updated on how it's working out for you. I'm taking folic acid once a day too because I have anemia. The doctors kept telling me to take a b-complex with a high % of B12 and iron, but those were making my skin break out more (even though they gave me more energy and better sleep...I can't win!). Then, I got my b12 levels tested and they were in the normal range, so basically it's the lack of folic acid that's worsening my anemia. Basically I want to treat all my health issues without making my skin worse!

As for biotin, look up older posts on acne.org....some people say that biotin breaks them out in high doses. I always wondered why skin, hair & nails supplements make my skin worse and my hair look healthier, and I noticed that most of them have a much higher % of biotin than all other vitamins.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/05/2013 2:58 pm

Yeah, inositol seems very promising for a number of things,

Buckwheat is one of the best sources.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/05/2013 5:05 pm

Buckwheat shouldn't cause any digestive issues, right? since it's not actually wheat. Are there buckwheat pitas, that would be a good idea.

What happened to the inositol hype a few years ago? I read some old posts of people raving about it, and then the enthusiasm died down. There are a few promising studies on its effects on both acne and hirsutism, so I was wondering why not many people have tried it esp. for hormonal acne.

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 09/05/2013 5:15 pm

I was just going to suggest the same thing. Earth balance natural buttery spread is very good. I'm a farm girl and I eat butter in ridiculous amounts (not intolerant of it and I'm underweight) but when I attempted to go vegan a few years ago, someone suggested this. Very good.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/05/2013 7:44 pm

Buckwheat shouldn't cause any digestive issues, right? since it's not actually wheat. Are there buckwheat pitas, that would be a good idea.

What happened to the inositol hype a few years ago? I read some old posts of people raving about it, and then the enthusiasm died down. There are a few promising studies on its effects on both acne and hirsutism, so I was wondering why not many people have tried it esp. for hormonal acne.

. Sweet jade, who is also a PCOs & leaky gut sufferer talked about it a lot. And about buckwheat, which is the seed of a spinach like plant. Not even a grain. Sprout it by soaking for only about thirty minutes, then drain and rinse. Let sit all day o over night. Rinse again before cooking. In addition to the inositol,its a quality protein. Better than oats.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/05/2013 9:51 pm

. Sweet jade, who is also a PCOs & leaky gut sufferer talked about it a lot. And about buckwheat, which is the seed of a spinach like plant. Not even a grain. Sprout it by soaking for only about thirty minutes, then drain and rinse. Let sit all day o over night. Rinse again before cooking. In addition to the inositol,its a quality protein. Better than oats.

Great, thanks for the tips! I looked up sweet jade's posts, but she never posted any conclusive results after taking inositol. Buckwheat I believe has d-chiroinositol, which helps, but I read that it's also beneficial to take myo-inositol which is what I'm now taking in powder form. Are there any good food sources of myo-inositol that would give me around 600mg per day?

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/13/2013 12:20 am

What do you eat?

I am extremely intolerant to dairy. I get violently ill after consuming even the most miniscule amounts of it unfortunately, so I do need to use chemical substitutes. I have tried to have meals that contain buckwheat (like pancakes, waffles, bread), but I find that I get full extremely quickly and cannot consume enough to get the proper amount of calories my body needs. Same thing with oats. I usually eat the gluten/wheat-free brands Ezekiel and Udi's for the carbohydrate component to my diet. I'm not sure that sugar aggravates my acne, but I do consume complex/nutritious carbs for the most part, so maybe it is. That's why I wanted to try chromium.

I just added 400 mcg of chromium picolinate.. the bottle says to take 1 tablet a day, each tablet is 400 mcg. I might start by taking it every other morning or cutting the pills in half and taking 200 mcg everyday. Ill let you know how it goes!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 09/17/2013 6:52 pm

What do you eat?

I just added 400 mcg of chromium picolinate.. the bottle says to take 1 tablet a day, each tablet is 400 mcg. I might start by taking it every other morning or cutting the pills in half and taking 200 mcg everyday. Ill let you know how it goes!

That would be awesome! Keep me posted. I really want to try the chromium, I'm just nervous about the side effects. Heard lots of great things about the supplement though! Good luck!