Notifications
Clear all

Can The Initial Purge Caused By Accutane Come In The Form Of Developing More Whiteheads?

MemberMember
(@trollunderthebridge)

Posted : 08/29/2013 11:34 am

I've been on Accutane 16 days now, 40mg per day, and I have yet to experience any real side effects including an initial breakout, which makes me wonder/doubt it's working. I got prescribed it because I have moderate, but persistent acne in the form of whiteheads and blackheads. Within the last few days though, my face has just gotten SO SO SO bumpy with whiteheads - like goosebumps on my face bumpy. However, nothing is being "purged", they have just developed under my skin and are staying dormant from the looks of it.

I know there is the IB for most people, I am curious, has this whitehead festival happened to anyone else? Or is my face just genuinely getting worse because I had to stop using my Tazorac in order to be on Accutane? This doesn't seem normal. I'm not breaking out, I'm just developing more. ???

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 09/03/2013 7:00 pm

I've been on Accutane 16 days now, 40mg per day, and I have yet to experience any real side effects including an initial breakout, which makes me wonder/doubt it's working. I got prescribed it because I have moderate, but persistent acne in the form of whiteheads and blackheads. Within the last few days though, my face has just gotten SO SO SO bumpy with whiteheads - like goosebumps on my face bumpy. However, nothing is being "purged", they have just developed under my skin and are staying dormant from the looks of it.

I know there is the IB for most people, I am curious, has this whitehead festival happened to anyone else? Or is my face just genuinely getting worse because I had to stop using my Tazorac in order to be on Accutane? This doesn't seem normal. I'm not breaking out, I'm just developing more. ???

I'm on day 22 and I haven't gotten an IB, but after the first few days I did notice a ton of whiteheads in places I never used to get them, and my skin has a "bumpy" texture like you had described. There are bumps that haven't improved at all, and they have no colour to them, which makes me think they are under the skin. I think I'm going to try a product I heard about called Aztec Indian Healing Clay Mask (or something) that helps with the bumpy texture. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@mbbento)

Posted : 09/03/2013 9:14 pm

My IB came in the form of a whitehead party. It came almost immediately after I started. Consider yourself lucky!

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 09/04/2013 10:10 am

My IB didn't even begin until around day 50 ish but when it hit me, it was a white head fiesta :P

MemberMember
(@trollunderthebridge)

Posted : 09/10/2013 7:48 pm

Well thanks for the answers everyone. It really puts my mind at ease knowing other people have experienced similar reactions. I nearly had myself convinced that I must be immune to the drug because I was developing more pimples (lol I know I know). I haven't heard of that clay mask before - it sounds interesting! Thank you for the tip, I think I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 09/10/2013 10:29 pm

Yesssureei! sadly you will get white heads- just doooo nooooot pick them! the spots will scar badly! trust me.