Notifications
Clear all

Severe Acne/scars Log!

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 08/29/2013 12:43 am

CREATED A NEW THREAD COMPILING ALL PICTURES TOGETHER!

Thanks for the support!

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/29/2013 6:06 am

Frustrating isn't it? We've all been there- how long have you been with this topical routine? particularly the tretinion gel? I'm just trying to figure out if this is the purge from that or not....

If you've been on it for a while then it's time to switch it up - try a different topical, something with sulfa perhaps? for me personally I'm a salicylic acid fan, vs BP...but you have so many things in your routine it's hard to figure out what's working and what isn't....so tell us about how long you've been on each thing

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 08/29/2013 12:03 pm

I've used Retin-A for about 6 months but it was $120 so I switched to Tretinoin for about a month. I've been using BP for 2 months - on and off (I usually forget).

As for the face washing routine, I've been using the same one for 3-4 months.

Do you recommend switching to Duac and Tazorac? I've had success with that early on in my teens for controlling acne.

Is sunscreen necessary? Toners?

MemberMember
(@jordanm98)

Posted : 08/30/2013 7:29 am

Sunscreen is not necessary, but it isn't smart to go without it. I can't speak for either Duac or Tazorac. Toners aren't necessary, and in my experience most of them dont feel like they're doing much. Most of them are formulated horribly and have alcohol. Good toners are effective at regulating oil and balancing the skin, but can run expensive. Many people struggle to find a toner that is formulated correctly and feels like it is doing something. Do your research, and tell us if you've started using one. Good luck(:

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 08/30/2013 7:07 pm

Made an appointment with a new dermatologist - 2 weeks; my old one sucked.

I noticed that whenever I swim in my pool (chlorine), it seems to calm my acne and makes my face look better. Any one else?

Anyways, my skin has been looking better...trying not to touch my face/scrub hard when I use cleansers.

-- Does lemon juice help with acne scars?

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 09/01/2013 3:02 pm

Noticing improvements to my face! :)

Problem right now is the constant nose pimples I get - big, red, and icky looking ones every 2 weeks.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 09/01/2013 3:34 pm

interesting that you mention that the pool helps...look up sea salt on this site and you'll see that it has helped many with body acne to bathe in it, and some clever users have used it for their face by using a bowl and immersing one side at a time

glad you are seeing improvements....it's like fine tuning, you have to keep track of what works and what doesn't and little by little you start to win the war

And how is your diet? I would suggest you drop dairy for a month and see if that helps you.

good luck to you and keep us posted

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 09/06/2013 12:20 am

Too lazy to post pictures this week..

Update!

Face isn't as red anymore and acne scars seem to be going away slowly. College just started for me (stress), and I have noticed cysts and new pimples forming around the mouth and chin area as well as my forehead. Doesn't look as bad as previous weeks though.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 09/06/2013 2:21 am

If your skin is oily/normal on its own, then really try to skip the lotion/cream.

Acne forms when the pores are clogged already, and the body is trying to extract themselves, why add extra burden?

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 09/06/2013 7:18 pm

My face gets really dry and flaky from the medicine, but as the day progresses it gets oily.

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 09/13/2013 10:03 pm

Will post updated photos tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 09/14/2013 9:17 am

I say always always always moisturise your skin, even if you have oily skin. There are many good moisturisers out there for oily skin, and some with zinc in it that help absorb the oil on your face and give you a more matte look - I use Cetaphil Dermacontrol moisturiser with SPF30 and it's got some "oil absorbing zinc complex". You need to always protect your "skin's natural moisture barrier". If you're using the right moisturiser, it shouldn't affect the oil level of your skin.

With regards to lemon juice, yes it does help fade scars because of the natural AHA in it. I usually do it twice a week, cut up some fresh lemons and dilute it with water so it's not too harsh for my skin. And then i just dip cotton pads and rub it all over my face and let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing it off. Some people leave it on overnight, but because my skin is too sensitive, I can only leave it on for so long before it really starts to sting/dry out my skin. If your skin is pretty tough to that kinda stuff, consider Dan's AHA? I've heard good things about it and I think it'd probably help fade scars faster than diluted lemon juice. I tried it once but, like I said, sensitive skin and it ended up essentially burning my skin. But you should take a look into it!

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 09/14/2013 1:41 pm

I use moisturizer everyday (or I try to). Updated the photos! A little disappointed with the progress, but honestly, it does look worse to me lol.

MemberMember
(@searchandseek)

Posted : 09/23/2013 3:24 am

I would look into accutane. If your acne is turning into indented scars, accutane can prevent future breakouts and prevent future scars. Yes, there's side effects but its not that bad as long as you are monitored carefully. I would put careful thought into considering accutane. I was on it a long time ago and it was the best decision I made with controlling acne at that time.

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 09/23/2013 10:15 pm

I'm partially anemic - thalassemia, and my mom doesn't want to risk me taking accutane. As I said, I have an upcoming dermatologist appointment so hopefully she can help.

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 09/30/2013 9:56 am

Update - I will receive my prescriptions most likely tomorrow. Currently using Aczone in the morning and Epiduo at night. Minocycline 100g 2x day once I receive it as well.

Very few active pimples and mostly scarring right now. Will post pictures when I have time!

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 10/03/2013 7:40 pm

CONTINUED ON PAGE 2!

MemberMember
(@ishly)

Posted : 10/08/2013 8:51 am

Update - I will receive my prescriptions most likely tomorrow. Currently using Aczone in the morning and Epiduo at night. Minocycline 100g 2x day once I receive it as well.

Very few active pimples and mostly scarring right now. Will post pictures when I have time!

Aczone is pretty gentle, almost so gentle I can't tell if it's doing anything!

As for the minocycline, if you plan on using it long term I would recommend using a probiotic. Antibiotics work so well because they kill the bad bacteria in your system which means less acne, yay! Except if you stay on it for an extended period of time; it can start to kill good bacteria which leads to an imbalance in your digestive system. The probiotic will help promote good bacteria in your digestive track while allowing the antibiotic to kill the bad stuff.

Just speaking from personal experience, information I wish someone had told me!

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 10/08/2013 9:31 am

Aczone is pretty gentle, almost so gentle I can't tell if it's doing anything!

As for the minocycline, if you plan on using it long term I would recommend using a probiotic. Antibiotics work so well because they kill the bad bacteria in your system which means less acne, yay! Except if you stay on it for an extended period of time; it can start to kill good bacteria which leads to an imbalance in your digestive system. The probiotic will help promote good bacteria in your digestive track while allowing the antibiotic to kill the bad stuff.

Just speaking from personal experience, information I wish someone had told me!

I'm going to stick to the regimen I was told for another 5 weeks until my next dermatologist meeting. I actually like the Aczone because it doesn't feel heavy on my face

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 11/05/2013 1:35 am

Will post updated pictures on Wednesday! I have my next dermatologist appointment then.

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 12/04/2013 11:15 am

MOVED THREADS!

MemberMember
(@behappyeveryday)

Posted : 12/05/2013 5:53 pm

Congratulations! Such huge improvement! Thank you for sharing your experience and what you've used. That would help a lot of acne sufferers like myself.

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/07/2013 3:47 pm

Congrats! Your skin is looking really good - makes me consider mino too now since that may be an option for me come January!

MemberMember
(@igotyouu)

Posted : 12/07/2013 4:51 pm

Sick improvement! I'm impressed. :D

MemberMember
(@zach128)

Posted : 12/13/2013 11:10 am

Thanks! Currently have a few pimples on my chin, left cheek, and on my forehead.