Notifications
Clear all

Question About Accutane Dosage

MemberMember
(@jasonlee1290)

Posted : 08/28/2013 10:12 pm

I was finally prescribed isotretinoin (not Accutane brand but a generic) after suffering from moderate-turned-severe acne over the past year. My derm wrote me a prescription for two 30 mg tablets to be taken daily (total of 60 mg) but my local pharmacy said the brand no longer makes 30 mg tablets. The only options were 10 mg, 20 mg, and 40 mg so my derm casually rewrote me a new prescription for 20 mg and 40 mg tablets to be taken daily. I was wondering if the two tablets in different doses would create any complications on the effect/success of the drug or if anyone else ever experienced a similar situation. Sorry if this is a stupid question but with all the risks and drama involved with the drug, I am trying my best to make sure everything works out properly!

MemberMember
(@trollunderthebridge)

Posted : 08/29/2013 3:49 pm

I think the best thing you could do is to just call your pharmacy or your dermatologist (or both!) and get their opinions on it. That seems like it would give you the most accurate answer, plus it's quick. Just 1 call and your mind is at ease. =)

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/31/2013 1:53 am

I was finally prescribed isotretinoin (not Accutane brand but a generic) after suffering from moderate-turned-severe acne over the past year. My derm wrote me a prescription for two 30 mg tablets to be taken daily (total of 60 mg) but my local pharmacy said the brand no longer makes 30 mg tablets. The only options were 10 mg, 20 mg, and 40 mg so my derm casually rewrote me a new prescription for 20 mg and 40 mg tablets to be taken daily. I was wondering if the two tablets in different doses would create any complications on the effect/success of the drug or if anyone else ever experienced a similar situation. Sorry if this is a stupid question but with all the risks and drama involved with the drug, I am trying my best to make sure everything works out properly!

There should be no issue with doing this

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/31/2013 3:41 am

Biggs881 is right, the individual capsule strength will not make a difference provided you hit your recommended dosage daily.

Best of luck to you

Rob

MemberMember
(@lionheart88)

Posted : 08/31/2013 5:57 am

I'm a pharmacy technician and we do this at the pharmacy all the time. As long as the added combo adds up to the correct dose it makes no difference don't worry