Notifications
Clear all

21 Y/o Female - Second Course Of Isotretonoin Log

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 08/28/2013 5:21 pm

Day 1, Week 1

It's back...I have warmly welcomed the 'tane back into my life for the second time. Thankfully, I'm rather happy about it. I have been waiting for this day for too long.

I was on Roaccutane in 2010, for six months. If I remember correctly, the highest dosage I was put on was 50mg. I think I might have needed longer on it, as I decided to come off it as soon as my skin started clearing. I was fed up with the side effects and I didn't take it seriously. If I could rewind time, I would definitely change that. You live and you learn, though. So, here I am today, with a month's worth of Isotretonoin sitting in front of me! I am so excited! I almost skipped home once I'd picked up my prescription.

My last course only cleared me for two years. My acne started to creep back over a year ago, and began to make an appearance around my chin area. Within time, it has rudely crawled up my jawline, cheeks and temples. I've attempted to battle it with topical treatments, antibiotics and BCP, with little avail. I knew deep down that a second course of Roaccutane is needed, but I was avoiding the idea for quite some time, as I was too concerned with the health risks. I didn't know much about the danger of multiple courses, but as soon as I did enough (perhaps a little too much) research, and plenty of self-pity to convince myself that something needs to be done...I was set. Even my derm noticed that I was a little paranoid, and said that I've been doing too much research for my own good.

Anyway, apparently four months may be all I need, as my acne is not as severe as it was during my first course (that dominated my entire face, rather than the particular areas it's choosing to appear at the moment). 40mg could also be the highest I'll be taking, too. I will be taking 20mg for the next two weeks, and bumping up to 40mg for the weeks afterwards.

I'll be continuing this log and noting my side effects, progress and general Isotretinoin joys!

MemberMember
(@richardb)

Posted : 08/28/2013 6:56 pm

I wish you all the best in your treatment.

Why are you only doing 4 months? Didn't you learn your lesson about quitting your medicine early? :-)

Seriously, since 20mg and 40mg are such low doses, you might really want to consider getting a lot more cumulative accutane under your belt. You should aim for somewhere around 120-150mg/kg cumulative dose, regardless of the severity of your acne. You want long-term remission.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 08/29/2013 5:07 am

I wish you all the best in your treatment.

Why are you only doing 4 months? Didn't you learn your lesson about quitting your medicine early? whistling.gif)

Seriously, since 20mg and 40mg are such low doses, you might really want to consider getting a lot more cumulative accutane under your belt. You should aim for somewhere around 120-150mg/kg cumulative dose, regardless of the severity of your acne. You want long-term remission.

Thanks!

I did think this when the derm suggested four months only. He didn't say he'll pull me off it after four months, but I think he just meant that four months might do the trick. I weigh 55kg, so my highest would only be 50mg. I may be bumped up to that at some point, though, so I'm not sure. I'll see what I can do when I next visit the derm.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 08/29/2013 2:16 pm

Day 2, Week 1

I woke up with a headache today. It was nothing severe, just a dull ache behind my eyes. It DID make me feel slightly nauseous and dizzy, and it lasted for half of the day, but I'm alright now. It has faded completely. I haven't yet taken my next 20mg tablet, though, and I guess it's faded because it has been over 24 hours since my last one. I hope it won't be a repeat, but I may have to put up with this for the next few days as it may just be my body getting used to it. Anybody else experienced headaches with Roaccutane at the beginning?!

For those who are interested, I'll post a list of the products/supplements I am taking when I have the time to (I did originally post images, but as I'll be adding to my collection as time goes on, I've decided that it would be easier to produce a list). Keep following if you're interested. smile.png

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/29/2013 4:18 pm

Nice photos - you certainly are prepared!

Regarding headaches, they are quite common as a start up side effect of many medications, especially ones as strong as Accutane. They should subside with time as you body gets used to the drug.

Tylenol/acetaminophen and Advil/Motrin/ibuprofen are perfectly safe to use while on Accutane (unless of course you have personal contraindications), so don't be afraid to use either of them in recommended doses if you have a headache that doesn't seem to be going away.

Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water each day (>3 litres) to stay hydrated.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@richardb)

Posted : 08/29/2013 9:08 pm

Yep, water and ibuprofen for the headaches. Up to 800mg ibuprofen is good at a time, if needed, but it's cleared by the liver, so in combination with accutane too much could drive up your liver enzymes.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 08/30/2013 9:17 am

Yep, water and ibuprofen for the headaches. Up to 800mg ibuprofen is good at a time, if needed, but it's cleared by the liver, so in combination with accutane too much could drive up your liver enzymes.

Nice photos - you certainly are prepared!

Regarding headaches, they are quite common as a start up side effect of many medications, especially ones as strong as Accutane. They should subside with time as you body gets used to the drug.

Tylenol/acetaminophen and Advil/Motrin/ibuprofen are perfectly safe to use while on Accutane (unless of course you have personal contraindications), so don't be afraid to use either of them in recommended doses if you have a headache that doesn't seem to be going away.

Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water each day (>3 litres) to stay hydrated.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice! I usually take Panadol, but it didn't do much yesterday, so I might buy some Ibuprofen in case the headaches strike again. Luckily I've been fine today, fingers crossed it was just a one-time thing.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 08/30/2013 3:42 pm

Day 3, Week 1

Not much to report, but just thought I'd share this. Since consuming Accutane with bigger meals, my headaches have stopped. On the first day, I only had rice and vegetables for dinner. However, I put two and two together, and decided to have a more "hearty" meal with my tablet the next day, and I was right as rain. I am eating less for lunch and more for my evening meal.

Also, my skin is getting worse. Surely I'm not experiencing an initial breakout this early?! Particularly at such a low dosage. It looks as if my skin is already "purging". I've developed lots of new little spots, as well as uncomfortable cysts on both of my cheeks. I rarely ever experience tiny pimples like these, they look almost comedogenic-induced, but I haven't introduced anything new into my regime.

MemberMember
(@richardb)

Posted : 08/30/2013 4:34 pm

One thing I've noticed is that once you actually *start* accutane, you start noticing and examining every microscopic part of your face. Remember to continue being kind to yourself :)

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 08/31/2013 11:58 am

One thing I've noticed is that once you actually *start* accutane, you start noticing and examining every microscopic part of your face. Remember to continue being kind to yourself smile.png

This is very true, I guess I could put it down to that! I can't remember when my initial breakout started on my last course, I just have a vague memory of my skin getting 10x worse during the first month. I remember my t-zone clearing up first, and then underneath my eyes. My blackheads were the first to disappear within a couple of weeks of starting Accutane, and I remember how shocked I felt at how clear my nose looked!

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/05/2013 10:35 am

Day 9, Week 2

My lips definitely feel drier. They don't feel too bad (I know they're going to get a lot worse when I increase my dosage), but they're definitely becoming more irritated and in need of lip balm every now and then. For now, Carmex is helping quite a lot. I'm a terrible lip-biter, though, so when my lips are slightly dry I find myself biting them before I even realise I'm doing it. I think I probably need a really awful-tasting lip balm that will help to prevent me from doing this. I don't know why I do it and I create more harm than intended at times.

My skin does not feel any different. It has actually been feeling slightly more oily because of the hot weather. I have been making an effort to moisturise regularly, and I'm wearing a really thick factor 50 suncream, so that might be why I haven't noticed any dryness. I've started using a light night cream too, so hopefully that will help to alleviate the upcoming dryness. I've experienced a lot of new spots in the past week, perhaps a few more than usual. I'm not sure if this is my skin already starting to "purge" or if it's just a coincidence, but I definitely think this is the worst my skin has been for a long time. I have just under a week until I start 40mg.

Other than slightly dry lips, I have not noticed anything else. I have been drinking a lot of water, eating healthily (and when I feel hungry, too, as I'm making sure to eat enough to prevent light-headedness and drowsiness), trying to stay happy, and finding techniques to ease stress when it hits me (lots of Husky videos on Youtube heh!).

I've added Glucosamine and Fish Oil to my daily supplements to ease possible joint pain. I've also been doing gentle swimming and walking. I may go a little easier on myself when my dosage is increased. That's all for now! smile.png

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/07/2013 9:51 am

Day 11, Week 2

Lips are struggling even more now. They are peeling a lot. I am not looking forward to bumping up to 40mg in four day's time, as my lips aren't liking 20mg! Ah well, at least it means it's working.

I have noticed a difference in my skin (face) now, too. Despite using a thicker facial moisturiser since starting Roaccutane, my skin has started to feel less oily (only in the past couple of days), and I noticed the skin around my nose flaking the other night when washing my face. Lovely! I've had a few new spots on different areas of my face, including on my neck (?!), cheekbones and hairline.

I've bought a bottle of E45 cream (the big bottle with the pump, for dry skin). I was concerned about how thick it might feel, but the description on the back claims it to be easily absorbed and non greasy. I also tried a little on my arm, and it seems this is true. I'll start using that when I increase my dosage. I'm just using a regular body moisturiser for now, as my skin doesn't seem to feel more dry than usual.

Somehow, I don't seem to be suffering with any other major issues at all. I'm not sure if this is because I'm on a second course and therefore a little more tolerant to the medication, or because I have been prepared with the right supplements and diet. Either way, I'm pretty happy!

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/09/2013 10:49 am

Day 13, Week 2

Skin is getting progressively drier. I don't really notice until I put my foundation on. The make up kind of clings to the dry areas. I use a liquid foundation, but the coverage is high, so perhaps it isn't really helping to conceal the dry issue very well (I use Vichy Dermablend). I've been wearing a headband because the top of my head is just so dry and my scalp is flaking, ugh. I'm using Head & Shoulders and making sure to keep my hair very hydrated, but it's only helping a tad.

Anybody living in the UK will know that the weather has dramatically turned during the past couple of days. Last week, I was walking about in shorts and sunglasses. I was absolutely boiling, and I couldn't even sleep at night because it was just so humid and unbearable. I'm NOW wearing a thick jumper, jeans, socks and slippers...And I'm still cold. My hands feel like ice. This is really typical of British weather, but I'm hoping the sudden transition doesn't entail to a cold/infection, cause I really want to stay at my healthiest on this medication. The package leaflet even claims that one of the common side effects is an increase of infection ("change in the number of white blood cells that can make you more prone to developing infection). Yikes! I have a runny nose but no other symptoms of a cold, so this could also be a side effect, as it also states that to be a common one. Not sure.

Skin is still looking the same. I am breaking out on my lower cheek/jaw a lot, on both sides. I hope this is the initial break out and it doesn't worsen when I bump up to 40mg, but I have a really horrible feeling that I'll start to break out a lot more when I go up.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/10/2013 1:13 pm

Day 14, Week 2

I've noticed a slightly reddish complexion to my face during the past couple of days, definitely the Accutane. It seems to be casted around my t-zone. The spots I am experiencing now are also fairly different; they're slightly larger and in places that I wouldn't usually get them (such as my hairline and lower cheek/upper jaw). I'm reaaaaaaally hoping that this is part of my IB and that it will settle down by month 2. Lips are still pretty dry. Discovered that my Vaseline is actually a lot better than my Carmex, who would've known?! It lasts a lot longer and it soothes the dryness by a mile. I don't think I'm going to be re-purchasing the Carmex again. Thinking of buying some Aquaphor soon, though. I can't find it in shops so I haven't made time to order it online.

Also, I've been experiencing slight chest tightness. I hope this is normal. It's nothing painful, just slightly uncomfortable. I've noticed that it's listed as one of the side effects on the leaflet, but it says this is very common for people with asthma. I have no issue related to asthma and my breathing is pretty normal. Anybody have any thoughts or experienced this at all?!

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 09/11/2013 8:19 pm

Also, I've been experiencing slight chest tightness. I hope this is normal. It's nothing painful, just slightly uncomfortable. I've noticed that it's listed as one of the side effects on the leaflet, but it says this is very common for people with asthma. I have no issue related to asthma and my breathing is pretty normal. Anybody have any thoughts or experienced this at all?!

So weird you mentioned this, just last week I started noticing chest tightness and very dull pain - I don't even know if I can call it pain, it just feels slightly "off." I thought for sure this was related to a different medication I was taking, but now I'm not sure. Is there anything else you think might be causing this? Have you started any other medications or even supplements recently?

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/12/2013 6:10 am

So weird you mentioned this, just last week I started noticing chest tightness and very dull pain - I don't even know if I can call it pain, it just feels slightly "off." I thought for sure this was related to a different medication I was taking, but now I'm not sure. Is there anything else you think might be causing this? Have you started any other medications or even supplements recently?

Nope, I am not taking any other medication, so I am almost certain that this is the Accutane. I googled it yesterday, and it seems to be a slightly common problem. How does yours feel? Mine is kind of located behind my chest bone, and sometimes the bone actually feels slightly sore. I've experienced a bit of heart burn too, and sharp pains when breathing in. It comes and goes throughout the day, I'm completely fine at the moment. :) I'm definitely going to mention it to my dermatologist when I next see him. How long have you been on Accutane for? I'm guessing it's just our bodies getting used to the medication, cause I've not been on it for longer than a month yet. I'm hoping it will ease off, cause it's quite unsettling!

MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 09/12/2013 7:27 pm

Nope, I am not taking any other medication, so I am almost certain that this is the Accutane. I googled it yesterday, and it seems to be a slightly common problem. How does yours feel? Mine is kind of located behind my chest bone, and sometimes the bone actually feels slightly sore. I've experienced a bit of heart burn too, and sharp pains when breathing in. It comes and goes throughout the day, I'm completely fine at the moment. smile.png I'm definitely going to mention it to my dermatologist when I next see him. How long have you been on Accutane for? I'm guessing it's just our bodies getting used to the medication, cause I've not been on it for longer than a month yet. I'm hoping it will ease off, cause it's quite unsettling!

Mine ranges from the left side, to the middle, then to the right side. Some days I barely notice it while others I notice it a number of times throughout the day. I think it is just our bodies adjusting, because side effects I had a few weeks ago have disappeared (headaches, rash, ect) I've been on Accutane a month!

And I know what you mean about unsettling... At first I thought I was having a heart attack wacko.png

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/13/2013 7:28 am

Nope, I am not taking any other medication, so I am almost certain that this is the Accutane. I googled it yesterday, and it seems to be a slightly common problem. How does yours feel? Mine is kind of located behind my chest bone, and sometimes the bone actually feels slightly sore. I've experienced a bit of heart burn too, and sharp pains when breathing in. It comes and goes throughout the day, I'm completely fine at the moment. smile.png I'm definitely going to mention it to my dermatologist when I next see him. How long have you been on Accutane for? I'm guessing it's just our bodies getting used to the medication, cause I've not been on it for longer than a month yet. I'm hoping it will ease off, cause it's quite unsettling!

Mine ranges from the left side, to the middle, then to the right side. Some days I barely notice it while others I notice it a number of times throughout the day. I think it is just our bodies adjusting, because side effects I had a few weeks ago have disappeared (headaches, rash, ect) I've been on Accutane a month!

And I know what you mean about unsettling... At first I thought I was having a heart attack wacko.png

I can completely relate! I worried myself a little too much when it first started happening...I thought something was awfully wrong! I don't think it's anything to worry about, but just mention it to your dermatologist/doctor at your next appointment. :) I've noticed that mine has almost disappeared over the past couple of days, which is odd considering that I've doubled my dosage in that time. It definitely must be an adjusting thing. Glad to know there are others out there in the same boat or I'd be freaking out a little.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/13/2013 7:53 am

Day 17, Week 3

I doubled my dose (40mg) a couple of days ago. I'm not feeling any different, I've just noticed a slight ache in my back. It's nothing chronic at all, though, and easily dealt with through gentle stretching and making sure I don't slouch too much (I need a new cushion for the back of my chair, as it currently has nothing to support my back... Worst chair in existence). I know I won't want to go up to 50mg (any time soon at least) if I'm experiencing aches on 40mg. If I stay on 40mg for the entire time, I will need to be on it for six months to ensure remission (according to the 120mg/kg). So...I guess I'll be on Roaccutane until February. Woo...

I'm experiencing a small initial breakout. Thankfully *touch wood*, I haven't had any new cysts. I've just had a lot of relatively small (the kind that come to a head and disappear within a few days) spots on random areas of my face. I've had nothing major on my forehead at all, which is great, but still very strange! I never seem to get spots on my forehead, and if I ever do, they're always very mild. I remember I used to get them a lot on my forehead as a teen, and when I went on my first course of Roaccutane, my initial breakout seemed to LOVE my forehead!

All in all...

Mood: Fantastic (I feel happier than I have been in months)

Skin: Still looking the same; acne is predominately focused around my cheeks and jawline, but getting the random few in my t-zone (I believe this is related to my IB)

Pains & overall health:

• Slight back ache, but nothing that a stretch and a comfortable cushion can't fix.
  • Lips are dry, but nothing chronic (yet...), and Vaseline seems to be working very well for now.
  • My eyes are feeling dry at random points in the day, particularly in the evenings, so I'm using Boots own brand eye drops (for 'dry eyes').
  • The area around my nose is also SO dry, so I'm using E45 lotion around there and sometimes on my whole face, and Simple's "regenerating" night cream for bed.
  • I had slight chest tightness for a couple of weeks, but that has been a lot less noticeable over the past couple of days.

Miscellaneous: I would just like to WARN fellow-Accutanees about the new (at least I think it's new) Vaseline lip balm (Vaseline 'intensive rescue'). IT'S AWFUL. It has a watery consistency and it dries within minutes. My tin of Vaseline petroleum jelly is 10x better. This stuff was such a waste of money. Did absolutely nothing for my dry lips.

The Boots eye drops I've been using are very good, and cheap! When browsing through the ridiculously VAST selection of eye drops/sprays in Boots, I just decided to go for their own brand ('Dry Eyes'), because it's the cheapest and I assumed it does what all the other brands do. Yup! It helps within seconds and I'll definitely buy it again when I run out.

I noticed a tiny rash developing on my wrist the other day, so I slathered on E45 lotion before I went to bed, and when I woke up it was gone. I swear by this stuff, and it's also very cheap. I found the large bottle (500ml) with the pump for 5 something in Boots, which sold me in seconds when I realised that Cetaphil etc is double the price. It helps a lot and it is also hypoallergenic and designed for sensitive, dry skin. So I don't have a problem applying it to my face either.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/16/2013 3:21 pm

Day 20, Week 3

Mood: Happy but a little anxious over side effects.

Skin: I don't want to jinx this, but my skin has got SO much better in the past few days. It feels super smooth, and my complexion has brightened too! I am a little red from the Accutane, but I feel like I've got more of a "glow" to my face. Others have commented on my skin's improvement, too! No new pimples, and the ones that had developed on my cheeks are healing very fast because they are drying out so much. I still have cysts on my jawline, but they're obviously going to take time to heal.

Pains & overall health:

• Back ache has disappeared, but it was pretty uncomfortable yesterday. However, my right hip has been playing up today. Can't win. My joints seem to be clicking more, too... Rather unnerving but I keep reminding myself that this is pretty inevitable, and will get a lot better when I stop the medication.
  • Dry lips, obviously.
  • DRY EYES! I made a huge mistake by forgetting my eye drops when going out today. I regretted this a lot. My eyes got very, very dry - to the point of feeling like I'd had a hairdryer blown into my eyes for ten minutes. I tried to ignore it for a while, but it got so bad that I had to rush to Boots to buy more eye drops.
  • Dry scalp. Horrible. I've been looking high and low for more headbands, because I am do disgusted at my scalp right now.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Dry skin on face - but not body?

Miscellaneous: Besides all the discomforting side effects, I am experiencing a few postive side effects that I really can't complain about. My hair still feels extremely clean, but I haven't washed it in a week. I'm still going to wash it soon anyway, but WOW. Also, I am not sweating. At all. I don't sweat a lot anyway, but since being on Accutane, I am always really fresh. I feel so clean. Usually by the evening, I will feel like washing off my make up etc; it feels like I've only just applied my make up, despite it being over 9 hours ago...

Also, I've been mixing a drop of baby oil with my vaseline, and it's working really well. My lips feel really soft!

I've decided that, after today, I need to start carrying an 'Accutane kit' with me... Seriously, I have really learned my lesson. I need to start carrying eye drops with me ALL the time. So I guess I'll start packing my eye drops and travel-sized bottle of baby oil with my vaseline and hand lotion... I've also invested in some BB Cream. I had no clue about all these different types of BB and CC (is there a DD?!) creams out there before Accutane. I was happy with my foundation and I was afraid of going out of my "comfort zone" with facial products, due to my skin being so sensitive and acne-prone. But, my foundation has not mixed well with my now-dry skin, so when I found out that BB creams can act as a all-in-one thing (hydrate, conceal, reduce redness etc), I knew I needed one. I love carrying this around with me, as I can moisturise AND cover up my skin when I'm out if it's in need of a boost. Oh and I have the Garnier 'Miracle Skin Perfecter' BB Cream for sensitive skin, and it works amazingly!

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/21/2013 8:29 am

Day 25, Week 3

I am feeling great because I am absolutely loving the Autumn weather right now! It's a lot cooler, and the sun is shining. It smells so fresh outside and all the leaves are starting to fall. I love walking to University at this time in the year, because our building is in the middle of a large park. The smell of the Pine trees makes me so happy! <3

On a more necessary note, my dermatologist has lowered my dose to 30mg for October. I saw him a few days ago, and I expressed my concern over my hip pain and lower back aches. He said that joint pains are not "uncommon", and usually subside. However, he said it would probably be best to go down to 30mg for a month for my body to adjust, and then go back up to 40mg for November. Obviously this means an extension to my course, but I don't mind, because I'd rather put my health before my schedule.

Mood: Upbeat and excited about life.

Skin: I think it's improving! I've not had a horrific flare-up for a while now. I think starting on 20mg helped my IB a lot, as I've been reading other's logs on here and it seems the IB is calmed when starting at a low dose and working up. I did have a small response to starting the medication, and I have had a few annoying spots in areas of my face that I wouldn't usually get them (like on my earlobes?!), but I honestly don't care because I know it's working its magic. The cysts on my jawline are very, very slowly flattening. They're still very deep, though, so I guess it's going to take time. I've been getting a few average spots cropping up here and there, but they go rather quickly. Actually, a lot of the minor spots I've been getting have healed so quickly. On a positive note, my skin feels baby-smooth and my oil production has rapidly decreased to NOTHING. I still feel fresh-faced at the end of the day because my face is not oily at all.

Pains & overall health:

• Back pain has certainly faded. I only really notice it when I lie down now, which is what happened during my first course, and it disappeared as soon as I stopped the medication.
  • My right hip still doesn't feel normal and hasn't for about a week now. It started with a bit of discomfort, and not it feels like the muscle is slightly sore when I walk. Hoping it will subside with my lowered dose.
  • I think I'm developing a cold. Woke up with a terribly painful throat yesterday morning, and it still feels pretty uncomfortable. I never really catch infections at this time of year, but I suppose being on medication has lowered my immunity, and the weather has turned pretty quickly. I'm going to look after myself a little more than I usually would because I don't want this to linger. Lots of rest and warmth!
  • Lips have been excessively dry over the past week. So far, Vaseline has still been my saviour for this, but I have ordered "Dr. Dan's CortiBalm" for extra aid, especially when I'm out and about, because the tins of Vaseline are really annoying sometimes.
  • Appetite is back, knew it. I love food too much!
  • Dry eyes. I'm using eye drops every few hours.
  • Dry skin on face, but keeping this under control with the products I am using. My body is also fine, I've not noticed any dryness. The E45 cream is honestly amazing.

Miscellaneous: Loving how smooth my skin feels at the moment, including my hair! It has been so soft and silky, pretty much since starting the medication. I am only washing my hair every seven days. Even after a week, it still feels fresh, but I wash it anyway to keep clean.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 10/09/2013 9:29 am

Day 44

Aaah I haven't updated in a while. I've been pretty busy with Uni, but I have a couple of hours to spare this afternoon before I dive back into my dissertation. Sob!

Mood: Pretty tired. My eyes are suffering for this. They feel so dry, especially when I'm out. They feel excessively dry when I'm working at Uni, and the eye drops are becoming a nuisance. I can't really use eye drops in the studio, and if I really can't be bothered to trail to the toilets to access a mirror, I'll use my phone as a reflection-tool to apply them during a lecture! Yes, they get that dry! I try to wear sunglasses when I'm outside, but the wind seems to make them feel so dry and irritated. The eye drops I am using (Boots own-brand) are only offering very temporary relief, so I'm thinking of buying different drops next time. I'm not sure if I should go for eye-spray instead. Anybody have any experience with this, or know of effective eye drops (that won't cost an arm and a leg)?

Skin: It's definitely improving, but nothing drastic just yet. I am noticing the difference each day. I am still developing spots, though, and they seem to be in different areas of my face. Luckily they're not cysts, but they take a good week or so to disappear. My nose looks a lot clearer and my blackheads have cleared a lot. I guess it's early days, though, so I'm not expecting anything magic just yet.

Pains & overall health:

• The back pain has faded dramatically. I'll only notice a slight ache when I lie down after a busy day, but this is nothing to complain about anymore.
  • My ankles, knees and hips have been a little off recently, but they felt a lot better after going down to 30mg a couple of weeks ago. I still get odd twinges here and there, but it's nothing that impacts on my day, and I still find myself running up and down the stairs (I don't know why I dash up and down when I could just walk....)...so um, nothing that has been altered there.
  • Dry eyes...
  • Dry lips, but the Cortibalm has been helping tremendously! I can't praise this lip balm enough!
  • Reddddd complexion. I'm finding myself flushing more often, too... like if I'm laughing or overheating or something, I'll feel my face going really warm and I'll know that my face is resembling a hot tomato.

I'll be going back up to 40mg in a couple of week's time.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 10/18/2013 12:07 pm

Day 53

Mood: Tireeeed again. The dry eyes are making me feel like I haven't had a blink of sleep in days.

Skin: Aaah, it's so much better! I can't believe it! I haven't had a new spot in a while now. I literally only have three really, really small ones on my face at the moment, which are from a while back, so they're nothing. I'm still in awe over how quickly my skin has improved. I thought I'd be waiting until the third month at least to see such an improvement. I've only been on 30mg too, which is what surprises me. My derm wants to keep me on 30mg for another month because he was impressed at how well my skin is doing on a relatively low dose. I'll hopefully be going up to 40mg for December, or sticking to 30mg and staying on the medication for longer.

Pains & overall health:

• Weirdly enough, my hip pain has come back again. Not sure why. It disappeared for a couple of weeks after lowering my dose, but returned within a fortnight. It must be because I walk so much. I don't use public transport/own a car, so I'm always on my feet. I guess the medication isn't going hand-in-hand with the walking. It's nothing chronic anyway, but hopefully the discomfort will fade. No other aches or pains.
  • Stupid, stupid complexion. My face feels like it's on fire sometimes. The flushing happens at random times too, even when I'm not anxious. This has to be one of the most aggravating symptoms.
  • Dry eyes, but for some reason, they've been slightly better this week.
  • I had rather bad insomnia in the first month, and I was pretty certain it was the medication. That has passed now. :)
  • Amazing hair! It feels so soft! I haven't washed it in over a week and it still looks so fresh. :D
MemberMember
(@sarahlous)

Posted : 10/20/2013 12:36 am

Hi!!

So glad to hear you're doing well. I've been absolutely exhausted as well, so much so that I can barely concentrate on my studying. It's becoming a problem. Very happy to know that your skin is improving!

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 11/11/2013 2:50 pm

Day 77

I have made such an amazing progress already, that I forget I'm on medication most of the time! I cannot believe how drastic the change has been in a matter of months. I honestly did not think I'd see such an improvement within only a couple of months, on 30mg! I haven't had an active spot in weeks (a few minor ones here and there, that seem to clear very quickly, but nothing like what I was experiencing before), and my skin is so soft. I am looking after it well, so I have not noticed any severe dryness, and I seem to have found a regime that works well for me right now (it works at keeping my skin soft, without becoming dry and sensitive). See the end of my post for more details about that. smile.png

Pains & overall health:

• My hips feel a lot better, especially over the past week. Every other joint in my body, including my back, has been fine for a while now. I think my hips took a little longer to adjust to the medication because they obviously take most of the weight, and I walk a hell of a lot. I'm just glad they're feeling better, and hopefully I can go up to 40mg for December.
  • My eyes no longer feel dry! They have been a lot better over the past few weeks - hurray!
  • Also...my complexion seems to be a lot less crimson. I haven't felt that burning feeling in my face for a while now. This seems to have faded within the past couple of weeks. Perhaps my body has started to adjust well to the medication. smile.png

So um, yay for going back to normal! I have my fourth dermatologist trip this Wednesday, and if my hip pain has completely subsided, I'll go up to 40mg. He said he'd ideally like to put me on 40mg for the rest of my course, because it would mean less of a chance of relapsing, and I'd also be on the medication for less time. If I stay on 30mg, I'd probably be on it until March, which won't be fun.

I thought I'd share my skincare regimen, because it's working so well for my sensitive/dry skin at the moment. This might not be ideal for those who are on a higher dose, as I'm only on 30mg, but for those looking for a gentle regime with moderately dry skin, I really recommend these products.

Morning

The Body Shop - Aloe facial cleanser lotion

The Body Shop - Aloe calming toner (an amazing, alcohol-free toner to help refresh and cleanse)

The Body Shop - Aloe protective serum (a pre-moisturiser, makes skin super soft)

Simple - Protecting Moisture Cream SPF 30

Garnier - Sensitive BB Cream (helps to moisturise as well as cover redness)

Night

Simple - Refreshing Facial Wash

The Body Shop - Aloe calming toner

The Body Shop - Aloe protective serum

Simple - regenerating night cream

100% Aloe Vera Gel for scars

I really like the Body Shop's Aloe Vera range. I can't live without these products now. I decided to try them when I was in my first month of Roaccutane, because I noticed that they're designed for sensitive skin, whilst being super gentle. They do just what they say on the bottle. I only buy the cleanser, toner and serum, because they *are* slightly more dear than regular brand cleansers, but I'd definitely say they're worth every penny. The Body Shop usually has a 3 for 2 skincare offer though, so I've saved money by taking advantage of that anyway. I am never turning back, amazing products!