Notifications
Clear all

The Retinoid Purge

MemberMember
(@jordanm98)

Posted : 08/28/2013 12:44 pm

I've just started a course of Epiduo (adapalene .1%), and I can say that I have definitely seen an increase in active acne. Nonetheless, I will keep going for the sake of clear skin. I'd love to hear your experiences with Retinoids and the purges that come along with using them. How long does it last and what biological mechanism makes it happen?

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/28/2013 12:55 pm

Science really isn't my strong point, but my basic understanding of topical retinoids is that they speed up the process of cell turnover so that dead skin cells stay around for a shorter amount of time and don't clog your pores, causing acne. Initially I think this brings acne from the deeper layers of the skin to the surface quicker than usual, resulting in the purging experience a lot of people get.

I'm using Epiduo at the moment (which also contains 0.1% adapalene) and have been using it for 5 weeks now. I have to say I've had some nasty breakouts in that time which I presume must be the purging stage everyone talks about but I've started clearing up a lot in the last week or so. smile.png Here's hoping it lasts!

MemberMember
(@jordanm98)

Posted : 08/28/2013 1:04 pm

Science really isn't my strong point, but my basic understanding of topical retinoids is that they speed up the process of cell turnover so that acne from the deeper layers of the skin comes to the surface faster, resulting in the purging experience a lot of people get.

I'm using Epiduo at the moment (which also contains 0.1% adapalene) and have been using it for 5 weeks now. I have to say I've had some nasty breakouts in that time which I presume must be the purging stage everyone talks about but I've started clearing up a lot in the last week or so. 🙂 Here's hoping it lasts!

I've been using epiduo as well. I'm about a month in, and I have had basically the same experience. Interestingly enough, I've noticed that well the initial breakouts that I'm getting are more severe, they don't last nearly as long nor is the post acne hyper pigmentation as pronounced as it was. I'll state the obvious and say that this was cause by the rapid cell regeneration that retinoids cause. Seeing these things is really comforting during the initial breakout period. It's a weirdly satisfying feeling to see the acne that you would have experienced in the coming weeks purging itself.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/28/2013 1:11 pm

I've been using epiduo as well. I'm about a month in, and I have had basically the same experience. Interestingly enough, I've noticed that well the initial breakouts that I'm getting are more severe, they don't last nearly as long nor is the post acne hyper pigmentation as pronounced as it was. I'll state the obvious and say that this was cause by the rapid cell regeneration that retinoids cause. Seeing these things is really comforting during the initial breakout period. It's a weirdly satisfying feeling to see the acne that you would have experienced in the coming weeks purging itself.

That's interesting. I've noticed some of the same things and some different. My breakouts whilst using the Epiduo haven't been as severe as they were before and have also cleared up a lot quicker than they used to but they are leaving just as much in the way of red marks which I think might be down to the benzoyl peroxide. The purging part isn't much fun but it's so nice when you no longer have all of those nasty bumps lurking under your skin waiting to come up!