Notifications
Clear all

Dieting Can Cause One To Scar

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/27/2013 4:03 pm

It seems that diet can cause acne to scar. I noticed that ever since I have gone paleo, my pimples have gotten more noticeable indents vs the shallow ones I used to get.

I am not sure if this is due to restricting calories, or some deficiency.

Just thought I would put that out there

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/28/2013 9:29 am

It seems that diet can cause acne to scar. I noticed that ever since I have gone paleo, my pimples have gotten more noticeable indents vs the shallow ones I used to get.

I am not sure if this is due to restricting calories, or some deficiency.

Just thought I would put that out there

I've been paleo for quite some time. Only recently have my scars been continuing to fade faster than usual. The only difference is i started eating a lot more veggies and using acv as a toner topically.and jojoba oil as a moisturizer at night .so, I don't know if itsbecause I'm getting more nutrients, or because of the acv and oil. Could be both..

MemberMember
(@iconzz)

Posted : 08/28/2013 9:53 am

what is your diet like.. does it lack proteins and vit c, e and a... vit c d most imp... scarring is due to collagen deficiency which is of protein n vitc n few process like glycosilation, hydrxylation which needs glucose water n few minerals act as catalyst for these reactions.. so probably yes... scarring can occur if ur diet lack these nutrients....so eat well just avoid lik anythin diff from natural lik fries, white flour stuffs(dont kno wats the prop wrd) ,processed foods n ol... rest its fine unless u r allergic to them......

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/28/2013 3:25 pm

My diet consists of sweet potatoes, avocados, sardines, grass fed beef, olive oil, coconut oil, leafy greens such as kale parsley swiss chard

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 08/29/2013 10:35 am

My only advice would be to make sure you get enough calories, better too much than too little. I've noticed that on a very restricted diet, you can easily eat too little without noticing (I became underweight after cutting out dairy, and some of my friends even thought I had an eating disorder), which can then lead to nutritional deficiencies and affect skin healing and scarring. You could try listing how much you eat using programs like Cronometer and make sure you get enough calories and nutrients.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/31/2013 7:55 pm

My only advice would be to make sure you get enough calories, better too much than too little. I've noticed that on a very restricted diet, you can easily eat too little without noticing (I became underweight after cutting out dairy, and some of my friends even thought I had an eating disorder), which can then lead to nutritional deficiencies and affect skin healing and scarring. You could try listing how much you eat using programs like Cronometer and make sure you get enough calories and nutrients.

Hey austra, Its funny you mention this because I used to use cronometer like crazy. I typically eat anywhere from 1800 to 3k calories a day.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with caloric intake. If you feel satisfied, then technically you shouldnt need to eat more. Notice how when you eat REAL food, its hard to eat a lot of it... but most processsed foods you can GORGE.

Did you start to scar when you were eating little?

By the way do you still consume dairy?

Another thing thats perplexing to me is how a lot of my friends consume a lot of fast food (which has very little nutrient value) yet when they get acne, even though they squeeze it or pop it it does not scar.

Not sure what the problem may be...

I mean if you look at a typical meal that a person my age (23) consumes... its something like what you can get from rubios or chipotle... a burrito with rice, avocado, beans, chicken, salsa, sour cream, some lettuce... and scientifically all that grains should be preventing the absorption of the nutrients you get from that meal...

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 09/01/2013 10:44 am

Sorry for the long long rant, heh.

I used to use the cronometer daily a few years ago, but then got tired of following my diet so carefully and stopped. However, it was interesting to see how I really had to work to reach the recommended amounts for all vitamins, even when I thought I was eating really well. Now I've just been eating as much as I've felt like for a good few years without stressing too much (basically my only rule was staying gluten-free and avoiding too much grains + sugar) and it used to work great. I liked my weight and figure and felt satisfied with my diet and my skin wasn't so bad either. However, after I wanted to see if dairy had an effect on my persistent comedonal acne, I started to cut down and avoid it since last autumn. I still didn't really pay any attention to food quantities and didn't imagine it would affect my weight. But last spring I was under a lot of stress, got a bad case of food poisoning, didn't have time to cook and with these diet restrictions found it hard to find foods I could eat easily etc etc. And suddenly I noticed I'd lost a lot of weight and had become quite skinny. I never intended to shed pounds or intentionally skipped meals or decreased calories, it had just happened by accident. Some of my friends and family responded to my weight loss very strongly, which freaked me out and since then I've been doing my best to regain weight (still struggling unfortunately though). I've also reintroduced dairy recently, although I feel a bit iffy about it. So far I haven't noticed great changes in my skin. My skin isn't in very good shape right now, it's been a bit worse for a while, but adding dairy didn't seem to make it worse. I think the weight loss has made my skin look overall less healthy, tired and less supple, which also makes my scarring and acne look worse. It may have made me more prone to scar too, but I'm not sure. I think stress and poor sleep are the biggest factors of acne for me, quite honestly, along with possibly high blood sugar spikes when my meal sizes are large.

Re: scarring, I've started to scar a lot more easily these days, which I think is mostly due to aging (I turn 26 soon) and stress, and just because I've had more inflamed acne this past year. However, moisturizing any healing pimples or scabs with lots of bepanthen cream has really helped my skin heal better and prevented many situations where I normally would've scarred. I highly recommend you give it (or some other cream) a try.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/06/2013 1:21 pm

If you lose weight and/or have a thin face, that tends to accentuate scarring. Sweet potatoes helped my face get a bit fuller because it was looking gaunt, and I think that helped with collagen production (along with vitamin C and red light therapy). But in general, people with fuller faces show fewer signs of aging (esp. wrinkles) and scarring because they have more fat in their face. Hence the craze about fat injections to look younger.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/06/2013 3:50 pm

My diet consists of sweet potatoes, avocados, sardines, grass fed beef, olive oil, coconut oil, leafy greens such as kale parsley swiss chard

Anything raw? As C is destroyed in cooking.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/09/2013 11:02 am

I eat the leafy greens raw... wait so the vitamin c in sweet potatoes is destroyed once I boil them???

What is the most ideal way to cook sweet potatoes then?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/09/2013 12:11 pm

I eat the leafy greens raw... wait so the vitamin c in sweet potatoes is destroyed once I boil them???

>

What is the most ideal way to cook sweet potatoes then?

Much of it is destroyed.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/09/2013 10:20 pm

My personal experience with sweet potatoes: It takes too long to cook them, so I was buying the microwavable kind because I didn't have time to cook them everyday. Although I didn't like the idea of microwaving them, I have to say that I was still getting some nutrients. How do I know? Simply because I managed to look healthier and put on some weight after months of looking like a malnourished skeleton, partially thanks to eating sweet potatoes. So theoretically, microwaving destroys nutrients but in my personal experience I still got some benefits from microwaved sweet potatoes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/10/2013 8:09 am

My personal experience with sweet potatoes: It takes too long to cook them, so I was buying the microwavable kind because I didn't have time to cook them everyday. Although I didn't like the idea of microwaving them, I have to say that I was still getting some nutrients. How do I know? Simply because I managed to look healthier and put on some weight after months of looking like a malnourished skeleton, partially thanks to eating sweet potatoes. So theoretically, microwaving destroys nutrients but in my personal experience I still got some benefits from microwaved sweet potatoes.

Microwaving doesn't destroy nutrients any more than any other cooking method. Over cooking by any method destroys nutrients.

Because of the way they heat, though, it's a good idea to stir a few times during cooking. And or things you can't stir, cook at half power which makes it cycle on and off leaving time for heat to disperse throughout the food. And lower power microwaves are better than high power.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/11/2013 3:28 pm

I only use my microwave for sweet potatoes when I don't have time to boil them. It takes about 8-9 mins of microwaving, then another 10-15 mins of waiting for the potato to cool off. So it's more convenient but still takes a lot of waiting time to eat the potato when I'm in a rush. Yes, lower heat power is definitely better if you decide to microwave.