Notifications
Clear all

Acne Got Bad First Week Of College!

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/26/2013 11:46 pm

When I moved into college on aug.20, my skin was pretty clear and I was happy with my skin. Now just one week later, my acne has gotten extremely worse! I even have pimples on my forehead which is never get. I still use the same products(BP wash then clindamycin and then moisturizer). I guess the only difference is I barely have gotten sleep the past week and my washing times have changed a lot. I used to do my routine at 9AM and then 10 PM. Now it's like 3 AM and 4 PM. Could lack of sleep and different times make a diff? Or is just that I'm getting immune to clindamycin

MemberMember
(@mobwin)

Posted : 08/27/2013 12:47 am

maybe it's the lack of sleep or the higher exposure to the sun or ur college is in an area of pollution

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 08/27/2013 1:13 am

diet in dining halls or heavy drinking.

MemberMember
(@monopoly)

Posted : 08/27/2013 1:24 am

3 that come to mind immediately: Drinking, change in sleep cycle (as you release the stress hormone cortisol during then), diet (maybe, this is very debatable). Make sure to wash your pillowcases often!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/27/2013 5:50 am

When I was at college, my acne was awful too. I could literally stay clear throughout the whole of summer and then as soon as I went back, I broke out. I do think it's the heat and the confined spaces. Imagine all that body heat, sweat, and stress - that's what's causing the breakouts.

In hindsight I should have probably have taken care of my skin throughout a college day. It needed hydration and needed to be refreshed. Take blotting sheets to remove excess oils, take a mini-fan to keep your skin cool, drink plenty of water and wear a suncreen.

It's just exposed to a really unclean and stressful environment, that's the issue.

MemberMember
(@zachlooter)

Posted : 08/27/2013 11:22 am

Should I switch my skin routine then

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 08/27/2013 11:52 am

Lack of sleep plus increased stress and anxiety from social, educational, financial, self image, and living situation factors.

MemberMember
(@zach-zach)

Posted : 08/28/2013 10:01 am

zachlooter, you and I were in the same boat (and especially so if your first name is Zach too lol). College can be MURDER on skin, especially freshman year. As most everybody has made clear on this thread, it can be due to a lot of factors: different food, different sleep schedule, different bed linens, higher stress, different water you use to wash your face, different air quality, and altogether a different environment. I remember sleeping on the floor in a dorm hall one night after staying up til like 3 or 4 in the morning and, of course, without washing my face... woke up with all kinds of spots just after one night's worth of sleep. The smallest variables affect skin sometimes. I think your washing routine and sleep cycles are the main causes of your worsening skin

You are using clindamycin? So am I! It has been great to me. How have you liked it up to this point?