Notifications
Clear all

Does Going To The Dermatologist Help Acne?

MemberMember
(@genesis6296)

Posted : 08/26/2013 5:28 pm

In two weeks, I will go to my first visit to a dermatologist, since I've been breaking out ugly (first on chin, then on cheeks, then on forehead and rest of face with large pores. This, starting on May and dragging itself through the days, till now), which never happened before in this way. I had clear skin before this... I'm 19 years old, a female, and over-the-counter products like benzoyl peroxide or honey masks aren't working anymore. I have been having increased stress because of this over the time. Might this be the cause? I doubt that Pond's Dry Skin Cream triggered acne. I used it for over a year...

I have been looking through reviews on products like Retin-A, Azilic Acid, Tretinoin. In fact, these products scare me a bit, since, at first, they make acne worst. I don't want this. I want it to improve, not seeing it become worse; and, I don't want to use oral medications, because after their use, acne can come back worse than it did before. So, does going to a dermatologist help acne? If you've visited, did it help you?

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/26/2013 9:42 pm

In two weeks, I will go to my first visit to a dermatologist, since I've been breaking out ugly (first on chin, then on cheeks, then on forehead and rest of face with large pores. This, starting on May and dragging itself through the days, till now), which never happened before in this way. I had clear skin before this... I'm 19 years old, a female, and over-the-counter products like benzoyl peroxide or honey masks aren't working anymore. I have been having increased stress because of this over the time. Might this be the cause? I doubt that Pond's Dry Skin Cream triggered acne. I used it for over a year...

I have been looking through reviews on products like Retin-A, Azilic Acid, Tretinoin. In fact, these products scare me a bit, since, at first, they make acne worst. I don't want this. I want it to improve, not seeing it become worse; and, I don't want to use oral medications, because after their use, acne can come back worse than it did before. So, does going to a dermatologist help acne? If you've visited, did it help you?

Hey there! Let me ease your fear about the antibiotic theory. i was on doxycycline for three months (for Lyme's disease not skin care) and my acne did significantly clear up. When I went off of it, it took a couple months for the breakouts to return, but they were NOT more severe than before I ever took the medication. The tactic behind using antibiotics is that you start building up the dosage until you reach an aggressive amount, then slowly ween yourself off to prohibit your body from becoming dependent upon the medication to keep you clear. So, that's that.

Any retinol product will make your skin worse (the dreaded IB) before it gets better. Your skin cells will rapidly be overturning and bringing all the acne to the surface of your skin. This in fact is a good sign, but it sucks to have to deal with. Usually the IB lasts between 1-3 months, but normally people get great results. Unfortunately there are some people, like me, who cannot tolerate retinol/retinoid because of super sensitive skin. Tretinoin cream should be a last result, as it is the most harsh chemical that you can use on your face to combat acne.

There are products out there that can fight acne without causing an IB. Aczone, Avar e, and basically any topical antibiotic will not cause you to breakout worse than what's already there. This is because it works as an antibacterial agent and works to kill P.Acne within the layers of your skin. There is not as much cell turnover so an exfoliation method is usually required in conjunction with using those products. Also, things you can be using over the counter are Salicylic Acid (or any BHA+) as a chemical exfoliation to open your pores and allow the toxins to release from your skin. Paula's Choice is a great brand for those type of products.

Honestly, you just need to have an open, honest conversation with your dermatologist. Make sure that he/she is aware of every aspect of your skin (oily, sensitive, combination, etc.) so that they can prescribe the best regimen for you. It's a process to find what will work for you, but as long as you're patient and willing to do some trial and error, it will work out in the end.

Good luck! Hope it all works out! 🙂

MemberMember
(@genesis6296)

Posted : 08/28/2013 12:43 pm

Hello, Rosalie! Thank you for replying to my post. You made me have a more clear perception about these medications, and I believe that you have accurate knowledge.

Two days ago, I bought a clay mask, since it has helped a lot of people. I bought 'Freeman Facial Clay Mask Mint & Lemon' at Walmart, which, on the first use, I saw a lot of difference on my face, like shrunken pores, shrunken pimples, and a less oily complexion. I also bought 'Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Power-Cream Wash', that includes 2% Salicylic Acid. I still haven't used this one, though, since, after watching some reviews, 75% claim that the Cream Wash worked, while the other 25% say that it made the situation a whole lot worse after using it. I'm still considering it.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/28/2013 9:27 pm

Hello, Rosalie! Thank you for replying to my post. You made me have a more clear perception about these medications, and I believe that you have accurate knowledge.

Two days ago, I bought a clay mask, since it has helped a lot of people. I bought 'Freeman Facial Clay Mask Mint & Lemon' at Walmart, which, on the first use, I saw a lot of difference on my face, like shrunken pores, shrunken pimples, and a less oily complexion. I also bought 'Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Power-Cream Wash', that includes 2% Salicylic Acid. I still haven't used this one, though, since, after watching some reviews, 75% claim that the Cream Wash worked, while the other 25% say that it made the situation a whole lot worse after using it. I'm still considering it.

I'm so glad to hear that you got results with the mask! Reviews will be the death of you. It's so difficult to judge because everyone's skin is completely different. Unless a product gets an all around horrific review, it's worth a go. 75% puts the odds in your favor, so you can try out the cleanser. I have personally had horrific experiences with Neutrogena, but all around people tend to like their products. I just have annoyingly sensitive/overreactive skin.

Be sure to give any product you try three months to show optimal results! If you aren't satisfied at the point, you can ditch it and move onto a new product. Sometimes it can be really hard because you may experience an IB and want to immediately stop treatment with a product, but push through that point and usually the results are positive. I'm at the 6 week mark and I have to remind myself everyday to just keep with my regimen, I'm already halfway through! It's a battle, but eventually we'll all find what works for out individual skins.

MemberMember
(@cosmicrock)

Posted : 08/30/2013 1:13 am

Hello, you can use all the products in the world, I pretty much did. But until you actual see the trough about yourself it will never go away. Things only heal when you get out of the way. The last time you cut yourself doing something around the house, did you have to try all these products to make it go away?

Absolutley not. Why? Because you had no attachment to it. You didn't feel worthless or ugly because of it so it went away.

Well the same goes for acne. Once you realize it doesn't matter and its "OK" it will be gone.

Acne only exists because you can't stand it and because you don't like yourself . You may try to tell yourself you don;t like yourself because of acne but the thought came before you even had acne whether you are aware or not. Its also there to teach you that you don't like yourself and to learn how to love yourself more as well as to find something your more passionate about other than a big zit because its really a waste of time. Trust me. You put off accepting yourself until it goes away.

" I'll be happy with myself when it goes away" . Well thats not how it works my friend. You have to be happy first.

You think you're worth goes down because you have it. When in truth no one cares that you have it. Only you do. Just like you don't care others have it. And you may think people see you the way you see yourself in the mirror. Thats not true either. You obviously think it makes you ugly because it wouldn't bother you if it didn't. But have you ever looked at around at others asked yourself what ugly really is? Is there much in the world that is so ugly that you can't even look at it? Absolutely not! Especially not people.

Because you can't stand it, is there because you have developed a need for it; a need to hate it, fight it and to squash it. Once the need is gone the acne has no need for you. Once you drop your defense by letting it be there.... its gone.

" I can let this be here because it does not matter and does not change who I am or my purpose. So I don't care if its there or not I will no longer let it rob me of my peace of mind".