Notifications
Clear all

Beyaz Birth Control Log

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/26/2013 4:30 pm

Hello there!

I'd like to give a little background of my acne, my logs here on acne.org, and all the treatments I've tried in the past.

Ages 14-16: My acne was fairly light when I was about 14 and progressively got worse at ages 15 and 16. When I was 15, I got my first cyst on my chin and tried to dig it out of my skin which led to an infection and a scab that didn't leave my face for months. Scary. I was wearing so much makeup and didn't know how to treat acne or cover it. I was pretty miserable.

Age 16-17: I met my boyfriend and started Ortho Tri Cyclin Lo. This did nothing for my acne and I always forgot to take the pill. It was pretty annoying because when I'd forget to take it, I'd get my period. Well, that was when I was a teenager, so hopefully I'm a little more responsible when it comes to taking an everyday contraceptive.

Age 17-18: I got my first Depo Provera shot when I was 17 and did absolutely no research on it beforehand. All I heard about it was that it made you not have a period and you didn't have to remember to take a pill everyday. Sounded good to me! It's got JUST progestin in it and that really messed with my hormones. I had SEVERE acne when I had the Depo birth control. Oh my gosh. Crippling. Cystic, oozing, gross. Ouch.

Age 20-23 (last month): Mirena IUD was placed when I was 20 and I just recently got it taken out. Weird, cystic acne from it and hey! it's got essentially the same ingredients as Depo! I wish I had done more research on it.

I've been off of Mirena for about a week now and still have some cystic acne on my jawline and neck. Forehead and cheek acne is not a problem for me as I mostly just have blackheads in those areas.

So, now I'm going to be taking Beyaz. This is combination pill that includes an anti-androgen progestin and an estrogen in it as well. It also contains folic acid. I'm going to report back here every other day or so (or every day depending on my symptoms). I'm supposed to give it at least 3 months to show any difference. Here's to hoping I get some sort of relief before that. If you have any experience on this birth control, let me know! :D I'll try to post pictures every now and then to show my progress.

-heitea

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 08/26/2013 6:42 pm

Good luck with beyaz! I have a friend who's taking it and her skin is crystal clear after three months. The first time I was on Yaz (which I think is similar to beyaz) my face was clear too, so hopefully it works for you too :)

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/26/2013 8:43 pm

Good luck with beyaz! I have a friend who's taking it and her skin is crystal clear after three months. The first time I was on Yaz (which I think is similar to beyaz) my face was clear too, so hopefully it works for you too smile.png

Sorbet,

Thanks for letting me know! Do you know what your friend's skin was like before beyaz?

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 08/27/2013 5:56 am

Good luck with beyaz! I have a friend who's taking it and her skin is crystal clear after three months. The first time I was on Yaz (which I think is similar to beyaz) my face was clear too, so hopefully it works for you too smile.png

Sorbet,

Thanks for letting me know! Do you know what your friend's skin was like before beyaz?

I would say she had mild acne on her cheeks, and moderate on her chin and forehead. Her skin is beautiful now though... she says she still has a little scarring but she covers it so well with makeup I can't see it!

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/27/2013 9:46 pm

Oh good! I hope I get similar results! I have moderate acne on my jawline and mild acne on my cheeks and hardly any on my forehead.

This is my second day now and you're supposed to start 24 hours within the start of your period. I'm definitely breaking out more than I usually do but I heard there's an initial breakout with beyaz... Hopefully this is just either because I'm just reacting in my normal way to my period or it's a quick initial breakout. Regardless, I hate acne and I want it gone. So bad.

I'm also happy to be on birth control again to, you know, prevent babies from happening.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/29/2013 10:47 am

Day 4 of Beyaz

My actual skin is pretty soft, but I seem to be breaking out a bit on my cheeks, which doesn't normally happen that much.

It's probably because I picked at my skin yesterday.

I really want to be clear by January.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/30/2013 7:22 pm

Man, I was terrible today.

I'm experiencing mood swings like crazy...I was just in the grocery store with my boyfriend and I was so mean to him! For no reason really!

Also, the breakouts on my cheeks are getting worse. I'm not sure what's making them worse (or show up in the first place). It could be my hormonal fluxes or it could be that I'm touching my face!

:(

Please, please work, Beyaz. I'm not sure what else to do. Hormonal treatment is all I have left besides Accutane.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/09/2013 7:50 pm

okee dokee! I'm 15 days in and it seems that my skin is a little clearer. However, I've switched up my daily regimen and have also nearly stopped the picking and touching that I used to do on my face.

Also, my mood swings are non existent. Yessss. Plus my period ended when it was supposed to. That's a first. Also, my breasts are super sore and HUGE. Which is a negative as I'm a runner, and it's really putting a damper on things.

I have a rash on my face from some tea tree oil that I used. Man, it used to work so well for me and now it gives me itchies every time I use it! Boooo..

Of course I'm still going to give this birth control 3 months. I hope it helps.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 09/11/2013 5:39 pm

Topic moved. Please read the forum headings and descriptions before posting. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/11/2013 6:16 pm

Topic moved. Please read the forum headings and descriptions before posting. Thanks!

What? It was in the Prescription --> Birth Control forum.....

That seems like the right place for this. I mean, it is a log, but it's still up for discussion. -_-

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 09/13/2013 9:09 pm

I really hope after three months things will be awesome! I have heard good things on your regimen, so I am hoping for the best for your regimen :) In the mean 'thyme' stay positive teehee.gif lol. HUGS from me to you!

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/14/2013 8:11 pm

Thanks, thereisalawayshope!

I'm looking forward to the next couple months! I can already see improvement in my skin, as I've lessened the amount of picking I'm doing and have been able to maintain a simple regimen.

Now to see how the thyme will factor in! :P

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 09/14/2013 8:19 pm

You are welcome, and lol I think picking is the hardest habit to get rid of when you have acne!

MemberMember
(@aegyo0)

Posted : 09/22/2013 12:04 am

I was actually thinking about going on birth control for my acne but I was wondering how do you know if you have a hormone imbalance? Did you see a doctor or a dermatologist first?

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/22/2013 12:12 pm

I was actually thinking about going on birth control for my acne but I was wondering how do you know if you have a hormone imbalance? Did you see a doctor or a dermatologist first?

I didn't necessarily "know" that I had a hormone imbalance, but there was strong evidence for it. I always broke out around my period, I was an emotional mess (which means that my hormones were out of whack, even though that's not a symptom related to acne), my acne was mostly around my jawline and not at all on my forehead.

So, now that I've gone through one pack (and therefore one month) of Beyaz, I have no more moodiness, I don't cry for no reason. My acne is LARGELY subsided!

MemberMember
(@aegyo0)

Posted : 09/22/2013 9:31 pm

I noticed recently I've been getting acne on my jawline, and around my mouth and I even started getting it on my forehead which is weird since I usually never break out in that area. I usually have moderate to light acne on my checks or the side of my face but now its mostly on my jawline. No matter what products I used I would still break out in the same area. I've also been pretty emotional. So I'm thinking its possible that I have a hormonal imbalance but I'm not sure whether to go to my regular doctor or to a dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/23/2013 11:40 am

I noticed recently I've been getting acne on my jawline, and around my mouth and I even started getting it on my forehead which is weird since I usually never break out in that area. I usually have moderate to light acne on my checks or the side of my face but now its mostly on my jawline. No matter what products I used I would still break out in the same area. I've also been pretty emotional. So I'm thinking its possible that I have a hormonal imbalance but I'm not sure whether to go to my regular doctor or to a dermatologist.

I actually went to my gynecologist and she helped me out a lot.

I noticed something-- when I'm around my period, I usually get 1 or two big painful cysts on my forehead, so don't let the forehead breakout rule out hormonal acne. SInce you're emotional, I'd definitely ask your general practitioner or your gynecologist if you could get your hormones tested or just do a trial run of birth control. :) Go for a birth control that has estrogen AND progesterone on it that's monophasic (which means the hormones are kept consistent throughout the pack). Good luck!

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 10/31/2013 1:15 pm

Update!

I'm on the second week of my third pack now! That means that it's been 2 1/2 months since I started Beyaz. I must say....the results are just....awesome. haha

I think the Beyaz is helping me a lot with my hormonal acne but also what i'm doing in terms of skin care is really making a difference, as well.

My red marks are fading because I'm using Paula's Choice AHA and Olay Spinning brush.

My acne isn't forming because of my Cetaphil antibacterial bar.

My skin is staying moisturized with the use of Cetaphil moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 10/31/2013 1:36 pm

I am happy for you, it's awesome to have clear and smooth skin, no pain, no fear.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 10/31/2013 2:35 pm

I am happy for you, it's awesome to have clear and smooth skin, no pain, no fear.

Thank you maria! :D I really hope things start going your way, too!

If only I could stop picking COMPLETELY, then my skin would be the way I've always wanted it to be! :D

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 11/03/2013 11:03 am

The biggest downfalls to taking Beyaz is that there is no generic and it's making my breasts way too large. (My B cups used to be a little too large for me and now I spill out of them...). I know I've mentioned my breasts growing earlier in this post, but I really thought they'd go down by now. The tenderness has for the most part, but the size has only increased. This is NOT a good thing, because...as I've mentioned...I'm a runner and it's very distracting and annoying to have a larger breast size. I know that this isn't related to acne, but I figured if girls are concerned about this kind of thing, then they'd be interested to know about this side effect.

I'm not quite 3 months into it yet, but I want to give it enough time to let my hormones really even out and get used to it. I have a feeling it will take longer than 3 months though....

Really hoping it's before February (basic training).... :-/

MemberMember
(@catherin)

Posted : 11/12/2013 11:41 am

I've had mirena iud for the past 15 months and my acne is just getting worst and im not sure if the IUD is contributing to my acne, help im so desperate!

I have decided to remove it. I have an appointment next week i plan on taking pills that are said to help with acne, i hope i can take one thats gunna help. :/

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 11/12/2013 2:58 pm

I've had mirena iud for the past 15 months and my acne is just getting worst and im not sure if the IUD is contributing to my acne, help im so desperate!

I have decided to remove it. I have an appointment next week i plan on taking pills that are said to help with acne, i hope i can take one thats gunna help. :/

My acne only got worse and worse while I had the Mirena IUD in. By the third year, my acne was reaching all the way down my neck. It was so terrible. I had cysts all along my jawline.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to get it taken out. Be sure to get right back on a birth control that has estrogen in it! Don't get pregnant if you don't want to!!

Ask for a combination pill that is monophasic. That will help to keep your hormones nice and regulated. Did you have acne at all before your Mirena?

MemberMember
(@catherin)

Posted : 11/12/2013 3:56 pm

My acne only got worse and worse while I had the Mirena IUD in. By the third year, my acne was reaching all the way down my neck. It was so terrible. I had cysts all along my jawline.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to get it taken out. Be sure to get right back on a birth control that has estrogen in it! Don't get pregnant if you don't want to!!

Ask for a combination pill that is monophasic. That will help to keep your hormones nice and regulated. Did you have acne at all before your Mirena?

I had acne before, but it was very light but now around my period i get big painful cysts, and that didnt happen before mirena, i just hope this works because i have tried everything! :/

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 11/12/2013 4:58 pm

I had acne before, but it was very light but now around my period i get big painful cysts, and that didnt happen before mirena, i just hope this works because i have tried everything! :/

That's similar to how my acne was, as well. I hope it works for you too!! :D