Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moonshine2

Feeling so low...so hard to stay positive

I am mid 20's and I work two jobs, both of which I deal with people all the time. I have been struggling with my skin and have just taken myself off of accutane during the second course cuz I think it's killing my skin's natural ability to heal and making me scar worse along with not helping with the depression I'm going through. I am normally such an outgoing social person, and I am to the point where I don't feel like myself anymore. I stopped going to the gym because I am so self conscious at this point I avoid public places. I know I notice it more than anyone, but the biggest thing is the depression it's put me into, and I am supersensitive to it, even though I know it looks bad right now. I'm not dating, not working out, have cut back my work even though I need the money...and I just feel like a huge piece of shit. Going out and pretending nothing is wrong is so emotionally exhausting I just want to quit, but no matter how bad I want to just dissappear for a while my reponsibilities preclude it. When friends and family ask me what is wrong, if I tell them, they make it out to be no big deal and that I'm just being too sensitive, but I'm not. I'm seeing my derm in 2 days and am going to tell him this, even though I feel stupid, but I don't think there's any quick fix. I don't know what to do anymore.

I'm in the same boat. Lately I have to force myself to go out and do things. I'm normally very funny and outgoing but now I just want to stay home and hide. I feel guilty because I know there are so many worse things that could be wrong with me but it's hard. I'm not used to having my skin this bad (I'm going through a horrible breakout right now.) I feel like what's the point in even trying to have fun since when I do go out I'm just constantly self conscious about my skin.

All I can say is to try to hang in there and know that it will get better. Make yourself go out and do things. If you hide then you'll feel worse and it'll get the best of you.

Guest brokencocoon
I am mid 20's and I work two jobs, both of which I deal with people all the time.  I have been struggling with my skin and have just taken myself off of accutane during the second course cuz I think it's killing my skin's natural ability to heal and making me scar worse along with not helping with the depression I'm going through.  I am normally such an outgoing social person, and I am to the point where I don't feel like myself anymore.  I stopped going to the gym because I am so self conscious at this point I avoid public places.  I know I notice it more than anyone, but the biggest thing is the depression it's put me into, and I am supersensitive to it, even though I know it looks bad right now.  I'm not dating, not working out, have cut back my work even though I need the money...and I just feel like a huge piece of shit.  Going out and pretending nothing is wrong is so emotionally exhausting I just want to quit, but no matter how bad I want to just dissappear for a while my reponsibilities preclude it.  When friends and family ask me what is wrong, if I tell them, they make it out to be no big deal and that I'm just being too sensitive, but I'm not.  I'm seeing my derm in 2 days and am going to tell him this, even though I feel stupid, but I don't think there's any quick fix.  I don't know what to do anymore.

I'm in the same boat.  Lately I have to force myself to go out and do things. I'm normally very funny and outgoing but now I just want to stay home and hide.  I feel guilty because I know there are so many worse things that could be wrong with me but it's hard.  I'm not used to having my skin this bad (I'm going through a horrible breakout right now.)  I feel like what's the point in even trying to have fun since when I do go out I'm just constantly self conscious about my skin.

All I can say is to try to hang in there and know that it will get better.  Make yourself go out and do things.  If you hide then you'll feel worse and it'll get the best of you.

That feeling of despair sucks...

All of it sucks. 

You're not being too sensitive!  Like anything, when it's not you dealing with a particular problem or pain, it's really easy to brush it off like it's no big deal.  And I really think that people who have some sort of chronic condition or whatever are really more sensitive people.  Both in how they treat others, and yes, they themselves are likely more sensitive.  That's just my thought...because people who deal with shit like this know the frustration and sadness. 

That's a great thing.  I think so anyway...

Personally, I think you sound pretty damn couragous.  And if you have times when your down, just take that time and treat yourself with the extra care you obviously need when you feel more sensitive, or tired, or emotional, or whatever.

I have depression issues, for sure.  Been dealing with it for years...and I'll tell you that the best thing, the most profound insight I've gained to dealing with it is to not DEPRESS it!  Does that make sense?! 

Depression is when you're depressing something!  Holding it down, or holding it back and not dealing with it, or beating the crap out of yourself inside about it...

When you realize that THAT is what hurts more than anything, I've found it makes dealing with the real issues a little easier.  We make ourselves suffer too often and for no good reason!  Does that help?  Make sense?!

Take the time to take care of yourself.  You deserve it.

having your self-confidence taken away is a really huge blow psychologically.

I think I'm just grieving the loss of my self confidence at this point.  Hopefully I will come through it, but I really need to see some skin improvement at this point, although I know not to get my hopes up anymore, cuz it just never seems to heal.

hope you're resting too wink.gif

I feel you Moonshine....I have gotten so self-conscious about my acne that I cannot even make eye contact with anyone who talks to me.....I always tend to turn my back to talk to people and then they end up thinking that I am weird....or I'll put my head down to talk to act like I am looking on the ground for something.....anything to try to avoid having people look at my bumpy, red face....

Moonshine, I hope you find something that works for you and clears you up....my best wishes to you.....

I feel you Moonshine....I have gotten so self-conscious about my acne that I cannot even make eye contact with anyone who talks to me.....I always tend to turn my back to talk to people and then they end up thinking that I am weird....or I'll put my head down to talk to act like I am looking on the ground for something.....anything to try to avoid having people look at my bumpy, red face....

Moonshine, I hope you find something that works for you and clears you up....my best wishes to you.....

ya, you're right to an extent...drinking helps me forget for a night, but screws me up even more overall, so I've pretty much quit drinkin for the time being...but thanks for the pun...made me smile

Like others, I know what you're feeling moonshine. It goes up and down for me.

The worst part is I compare myself all the time to other people (I'm at university too)...I automatically feel inferior so then I feel shy. I just want to feel "normal", I feel like my life would be so much different. Also the scars are what really get me down...like even when I get clear, even if it takes 10 years, my skin will never be what it was before.

The worst part about acne is that other people will often just dismiss it as such a superficial problem. But when you're no longer a teenager and you're trying to go out there and make it in the world, which is what your twenties are for, it can be really devastating.

The worst part about acne is that other people will often just dismiss it as such a superficial problem. But when you're no longer a teenager and you're trying to go out there and make it in the world, which is what your twenties are for, it can be really devastating.

Like others, I know what you're feeling moonshine. It goes up and down for me.

The worst part is I compare myself all the time to other people (I'm at university too)...I automatically feel inferior so then I feel shy. I just want to feel "normal", I feel like my life would be so much different. Also the scars are what really get me down...like even when I get clear, even if it takes 10 years, my skin will never be what it was before.

Yep...that makes it so much harder, especially since I didn't have any acne for the majority of my teenage years. I was happy that I didn't go through a teenage acne "stage," and just assumed that I'd never have acne. I never envisioned myself having acne at the age of 22. This may just be my opinion, but I think it's easier for guys with acne to be considered good looking than it is for girls with acne. I don't know...maybe it just seems that way to me because I am a girl.

I don't know if that's true...I think it's the way that it makes you feel that has the impact on others see you...if they know it bothers you, you seem less attractive because you seem less secure, but it is very hard to control IMHO, and more than that, it is for me very emotionally exhausting to control.

I do agree with you moonshine. I guess I meant in terms of first impressions (like, on more of a superficial level).

It's nice to be able to come on here and hear that others are going through a similar situation. May I ask when you first started getting acne moonshine?