Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Taking A Multivitamin Or Vitamins That Seemed To Have Helped Acne?

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 08/25/2013 6:53 pm

I gave up on vitamins a while back, but I'm thinking that some of them (especially in different forms - like liquid) can actually be beneficial!

I'll sum up my regimen and diet real simply..

-I do not eat gluten (intolerant), dairy (testing it out), and have limited the amount of sugar I consume to fruits.

-I wash my face with a mild cleanser (Clean & Clear Sensitive Foaming Face Wash) and "treat" with pure witch hazel (which seems to be doing me no good but no harm) and moisturize with Cetaphil.

I am doing a Candida cleanse and afterwards I was thinking of adding a few vitamins into the mix after these next couple of weeks. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!!

I'm thinking Vitamin D, Zinc (Gluconate), Women's Multivitamin, and maybe L-Lysine to prevent the few cold sores I get a year. Anyone know how much of what works best?? Thanks a lot.

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 08/25/2013 8:11 pm

I've just stopped taking the BC pill so I'm on lots of supplements in the hope of lessening any acne I might get while my hormones sort themselves out. Some things that have worked for me are a high strength omega 3 oil (I noticed a difference in my skin within a week of taking this), spirulina, vit D and zinc. I take a couple of other things too (magnesium, b complex vitamin) for my general wellbeing, and I think this is probably having an effect too.

How is the candida cleanse going? I've always been interested in doing one.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 08/25/2013 8:37 pm

Dan has some info on supplements here: http://www.acne.org/blog/2009/10/06/supps/

And here: http://www.acne.org/diet-and-acne.html

Hope that helps!

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 08/27/2013 4:30 pm

I've just stopped taking the BC pill so I'm on lots of supplements in the hope of lessening any acne I might get while my hormones sort themselves out. Some things that have worked for me are a high strength omega 3 oil (I noticed a difference in my skin within a week of taking this), spirulina, vit D and zinc. I take a couple of other things too (magnesium, b complex vitamin) for my general wellbeing, and I think this is probably having an effect too.

Honestly, I don't know that I had a candida overgrowth, what with my being gluten intolerant and hating gluten free bread. I really don't consume much, if any yeast at all. But I was eating a lot of foods high in sugar.

I do know that I wake up easier (I'm on the sixth day of the cleanse) and have less fatigue throughout the day, my skin doesn't seem to be reacting negatively, and I haven't had any new breakouts within the week.

I will be sure to try all of those! I have never been consistent with vitamins but I'm getting more serious about my skin now. :)

Magnesium is good for falling asleep, no?

I'm going to try this... Not sure what time to take all of these bad boys but I will break them all up with meals.

1. Multivitamin (without Biotin because I've heard it breaks a lot of people out)

2. Zinc

3. D3

4. B Vitamin Complex

5. Omega-3 Fish Oil

6. Magnesium

Wish me luck!!

MemberMember
(@cookiej)

Posted : 08/27/2013 5:07 pm

I don't think so. I've recently cut out multivitamins because I did a check with the amount of fruit/veg that I typically eat, and realised I was overdosing of most of them!

I might consider an iron supplement in the future though.

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 08/28/2013 1:32 am

Honestly, I don't know that I had a candida overgrowth, what with my being gluten intolerant and hating gluten free bread. I really don't consume much, if any yeast at all. But I was eating a lot of foods high in sugar.

I do know that I wake up easier (I'm on the sixth day of the cleanse) and have less fatigue throughout the day, my skin doesn't seem to be reacting negatively, and I haven't had any new breakouts within the week.

I will be sure to try all of those! I have never been consistent with vitamins but I'm getting more serious about my skin now. smile.png

Magnesium is good for falling asleep, no?

I'm going to try this... Not sure what time to take all of these bad boys but I will break them all up with meals.

1. Multivitamin (without Biotin because I've heard it breaks a lot of people out)

2. Zinc

3. D3

4. B Vitamin Complex

5. Omega-3 Fish Oil

6. Magnesium

Wish me luck!!

Yep, sugar is my weakness too, which is why I was considering doing the candida cleanse a while back haha. I haven't had refined sugar for nearly two weeks though, I had major sugar headaches the first few days!

I split up taking my vitamins after breakfast and after dinner so it doesn't feel like I'm taking so many haha. Good luck with everything!

MemberMember
(@sgreenta)

Posted : 08/28/2013 1:36 am

Hi. i have adult acne and rosacea which was really pretty severe. I started the regimen 2 months ago and cleared up some, but then, I started on prescription nicomide (supplement containing zinc, folic acid, copper and niacin) and Culturelle probiotic about 6 weeks ago. Now, my skin is nearly perfect. Ask your derm. I hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 08/28/2013 5:43 pm

Hi. i have adult acne and rosacea which was really pretty severe. I started the regimen 2 months ago and cleared up some, but then, I started on prescription nicomide (supplement containing zinc, folic acid, copper and niacin) and Culturelle probiotic about 6 weeks ago. Now, my skin is nearly perfect. Ask your derm. I hope this helps.

Wow, really?! Congratulations!! ^_^ I should give it a try, I'll do a little more research on Culturelle to see if it contains dairy or gluten. Most don't now anyway.

I made a few different decisions while I was at Jewel Osco last night lol this is what I REALLY ended up with....

1. D3

2. Calcium with Zinc

3. Krill Oil

4. L-Lysine

5. Magnesium

I think this should help! I do eat A LOT of vegetables and lots of lean meats. I think that Nicomide sounds pretty damn wonderful!! You have to get a prescription? Bleh. I will definitely ask when I see a derm in the next month or so!

MemberMember
(@sgreenta)

Posted : 08/28/2013 8:57 pm

Hi.

Unfortunately, nicomide is prescription only. I do not think it would work on its own. I follow the regimen with Dan's products, religiously. I also avoid foods I can't tolerate and also take the supplements. Culturelle is nondairy and gluten free. I am also lactose and gluten intolerant. Most people with rosacea have food allergies. Good luck to you.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 08/29/2013 2:34 pm

oddly, when i took a tesco own multivitamin a-z i would always get painful nodules.. really would love to know what vitamin or mineral was causing that... shame it was an A-Z... chances of finding which it is would be very difficult.. so stopped taking it.

what did work for me was cod liver oil, omega 3 and 6. you need to balance the 3 and the 6. Also in conjunction to that I took 1200mg of

N - ACETYL CYSTEINE and that kept me clear for a good few weeks. I tool N A C for like OCD and skin picking and apparently according to some sources it boosts collegen production and can get rid of fine lines.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1018-N-ACETYL%20CYSTEINE.aspx?activeIngredientId=1018&activeIngredientName=N-ACETYL%20CYSTEINE

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 08/29/2013 7:20 pm

On 8/30/2013 at 1:34 AM, .JacktheLad. said:

oddly, when i took a tesco own multivitamin a-z i would always get painful nodules.. really would love to know what vitamin or mineral was causing that... shame it was an A-Z... chances of finding which it is would be very difficult.. so stopped taking it.

what did work for me was cod liver oil, omega 3 and 6. you need to balance the 3 and the 6. Also in conjunction to that I took 1200mg of

N - ACETYL CYSTEINE and that kept me clear for a good few weeks. I tool N A C for like OCD and skin picking and apparently according to some sources it boosts collegen production and can get rid of fine lines.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1018-N-ACETYL%20CYSTEINE.aspx?activeIngredientId=1018&activeIngredientName=N-ACETYL%20CYSTEINE

Whoa! That's really interesting... huh.. I know a lot of people say Biotin can cause breakouts (funny - it's for hair, skin and nails).

And I read that Web MD article and it sounds like that stuff is used for EVERYTHING. Haha, but it didn't keep you clear? I'm sorry. :|

I'm taking krill oil because it has the perfect balance of omega 3 and 6! That was the most expensive of the vitamins I purchased too. :X

I must say I have a lot of energy and am always in a positive mood now. I think the candida cleanse along with all my new, wonderful vitamins are what's doing it for me! ^_^

OOOOOOOOooOOoOoooOHHH!! I found something on Amazon while looking where to find that stuff and found that this stuff works even better, and helps with cellular health.. I've heard it's good for the skin and brain, and hell.. everything!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XA489O/

What do you guys think??

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/29/2013 11:01 pm

I just started taking magnesium along with calcium. 400 mg of magnesium and 250 mg of calcium. I'm curious to see if what you are doing works!

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 08/30/2013 4:34 am

I was going to start taking magnesium too heard it can help balance your system..

Inositol powder, interesting. Not sure how good it is, but it sounds very good to me. need to read into it more though.

for example, you cant just start taking one thing and not knowing the other synergies, like, inositol depletes other vitamins and minerals so you would need to take those as well. same for NAC, you need to use it with vit C for better uptake, and also take magnesium.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 08/31/2013 10:13 am

I just started taking magnesium along with calcium. 400 mg of magnesium and 250 mg of calcium. I'm curious to see if what you are doing works!

So far so good!!! I don't know which of the vitamins are doing what they're doing but I'm glad I decided to take them. All I've heard is great things about magnesium. :) People rave about zinc as well.

In conjunction with the candida cleanse, manuka honey applied topically at night (and day - I'm wearing it under my makeup right now :P), and my gluten and dairy free diet, I can truthfully say I have never felt better.

And.. get this.. no active pimples! Oh I lied, there's one near my eyebrow haha. This is great timing seeing as it's my birthday today. ^_^

I'm not saying everyone should go the same route I did, or that it was easy. I had a lot of allergies, stomach problems, and stress in my life that needed to be taken care of before I reached this point.

How have you been feeling since taking the Magnesium, even if it hasn't been very long??

I was going to start taking magnesium too heard it can help balance your system..

Inositol powder, interesting. Not sure how good it is, but it sounds very good to me. need to read into it more though.

for example, you cant just start taking one thing and not knowing the other synergies, like, inositol depletes other vitamins and minerals so you would need to take those as well. same for NAC, you need to use it with vit C for better uptake, and also take magnesium.

Oooooh I wasn't aware that inositol did that, thanks for the great tips! Do you think you would have to take a double dose of all the vitamins you take (or eat naturally) to make sure they're doing anything?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 08/31/2013 10:29 am

I'm going to start the Paleo diet soon i'm currently reading up on it, i dont eat dairy, so would only need to not eat gluten? grains? to..

thats ok! yeah i was reading about it and i cant remember which specific ones it depletes but just make sure you either supplement with the ones that get drained or eat foods with them in it naturally.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/03/2013 12:47 pm

So far so good!!! I don't know which of the vitamins are doing what they're doing but I'm glad I decided to take them. All I've heard is great things about magnesium. :) People rave about zinc as well.

In conjunction with the candida cleanse, manuka honey applied topically at night (and day - I'm wearing it under my makeup right now :P), and my gluten and dairy free diet, I can truthfully say I have never felt better.

And.. get this.. no active pimples! Oh I lied, there's one near my eyebrow haha. This is great timing seeing as it's my birthday today. ^_^

I'm not saying everyone should go the same route I did, or that it was easy. I had a lot of allergies, stomach problems, and stress in my life that needed to be taken care of before I reached this point.

How have you been feeling since taking the Magnesium, even if it hasn't been very long??

Oooooh I wasn't aware that inositol did that, thanks for the great tips! Do you think you would have to take a double dose of all the vitamins you take (or eat naturally) to make sure they're doing anything?

I'm loving the magnesium! I have been sleeping much better. My bowels have been normal ever since taking them. I feel better in general! How are things going for you? How's your skin looking?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/03/2013 3:03 pm

well im taking magneisum in the form of eating loads of Cashew nuts. i think my sleep has been better too come to think of it..

however my skin is another matter.. been using an AHA cleanser and i think its made my skin oily and break out.. then i have picked at it all over, so look like pizza boy right now.

going to use a very gentle cleanser and let it all heal again. fml

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/03/2013 8:11 pm

the best multivitamin I have tried is solgar's earth source multi - it has a good blend of all the nutrients that are supposed to help with acne, from organic sources mostly. However, the risk with taking any multivitamin is that it may contain something that you don't need or that your body can't tolerate. I try to avoid multivitamins that have a much higher % of vitamins B6 and B12 than other vitamins.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/04/2013 8:12 pm

WishClean - do you see an increase in breakouts/oiliness in your skin when you use multivitamins with those higher in those B vitamins?

I don't like most multivitamins for the same reason of tolerance and such. That one in particular is very pricy and contains Biotin (something I've been trying to avoid - just testing it out).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack - I'm sorry to hear that! Did you use too much of it? I know I have to slowly make my way up to the full dose of AHA. For me honey and / or green tea is really helpful in healing irritated skin. I try to maintain a good balance of natural and good-for-you chemicals. In the end AHA is the beeeeest for dark marks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikki - Wonderful!! I don't know what it is about magnesium but I can tell that of all of my vitamins I purchased it is doing the most good. Even if my acne stays as is, I'll be happy with the high levels of energy and optimism I have at this very moment.

I think my acne may have a lot to do with my makeup. I don't know how to go to work without it, I work at a country club and they would probably drop their jaws in horror if I went bare-faced to work. I really need to find a perfect makeup (even if I end up having to make it myself!) and then I'll be set.

Right now I am on my second day of my Paula's Choice Clear (Regular Strength) Acne Two-Week Trial Kit

I must say I haven't seen any difference, but I don't expect to see much until the end of my bottles. I also bought a sample of her BHA 9 for my nose.

I have to say that for having salicylic acid (something that I thought once irritated the sh*t out of my skin) it hasn't irritated me at all. The BHA 9 also has oat kernel (I am gluten sensitive), but it hasn't caused me any issues either. I'm going to keep my blog updated. :)

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 09/05/2013 12:40 am

WishClean - do you see an increase in breakouts/oiliness in your skin when you use multivitamins with those higher in those B vitamins?

I don't like most multivitamins for the same reason of tolerance and such. That one in particular is very pricy and contains Biotin (something I've been trying to avoid - just testing it out).

Jack - I'm sorry to hear that! Did you use too much of it? I know I have to slowly make my way up to the full dose of AHA. For me honey and / or green tea is really helpful in healing irritated skin. I try to maintain a good balance of natural and good-for-you chemicals. In the end AHA is the beeeeest for dark marks.

Nikki - Wonderful!! I don't know what it is about magnesium but I can tell that of all of my vitamins I purchased it is doing the most good. Even if my acne stays as is, I'll be happy with the high levels of energy and optimism I have at this very moment.

I think my acne may have a lot to do with my makeup. I don't know how to go to work without it, I work at a country club and they would probably drop their jaws in horror if I went bare-faced to work. I really need to find a perfect makeup (even if I end up having to make it myself!) and then I'll be set.

Right now I am on my second day of my Paula's Choice Clear (Regular Strength) Acne Two-Week Trial Kit

I must say I haven't seen any difference, but I don't expect to see much until the end of my bottles. I also bought a sample of her BHA 9 for my nose.

I have to say that for having salicylic acid (something that I thought once irritated the sh*t out of my skin) it hasn't irritated me at all. The BHA 9 also has oat kernel (I am gluten sensitive), but it hasn't caused me any issues either. I'm going to keep my blog updated. :)

Now that you mention it, I started limiting the amount of makeup I wear everyday and I think that is helping me as well! I wear probably a fourth of a dime size now. I was wearing maybe a quarter size a month ago... Been using Revlon colorstay the past several months. My skin hasn't been this great in forever. Yeah, my scars still show to an extent but so what! I work at the estee lauder cosmetics counter and I don't care! Haha. .I just kind of figured that since my body likes to detox through my face, masking it with makeup would just make the zits worse and a lot bigger. After all, I never even had acne til I started wearing makeup! Its just gotten worse and worse over the years since working at a cosmetics counter experimenting with everything. You should try not wearing as much, until you get down to none..see if it helps! I cut down gradually and I'm noticing the improvements. But then again, I also eat a lot less carbs than before and am doing a bunch of other things as well. Since I started almost everything at once, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you what's working for me. I'm very happy that my digestion has normalized though because I'm very sure that has a lot to do with everything!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/05/2013 5:00 pm

B-complexes break me out, but actually those multis didn't although they contain a high % of B12. I think it's because they have so many other useful nutrients that it's balanced out, even the biotin they contain is nothing compared to the % of skin, hair & nail supplements. For me, they helped me stay clear for 2 years after a bad outbreak of cystic acne. But after 2 years of taking them the acne returned, so I guessed that initially the multi addressed vitamin & mineral deficiencies, but lost its effectiveness eventually because I took it for 2 years without a break. It's good to take a break or switch up your multis every 6 months or so. I will return to at some point, but right now I'm taking a break from all multis.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/06/2013 7:11 pm

I have to say that for having salicylic acid (something that I thought once irritated the sh*t out of my skin) it hasn't irritated me at all. The BHA 9 also has oat kernel (I am gluten sensitive), but it hasn't caused me any issues either. I'm going to keep my blog updated. smile.png

Now that you mention it, I started limiting the amount of makeup I wear everyday and I think that is helping me as well! I wear probably a fourth of a dime size now. I was wearing maybe a quarter size a month ago... Been using Revlon colorstay the past several months. My skin hasn't been this great in forever. Yeah, my scars still show to an extent but so what! I work at the estee lauder cosmetics counter and I don't care! Haha. .I just kind of figured that since my body likes to detox through my face, masking it with makeup would just make the zits worse and a lot bigger. After all, I never even had acne til I started wearing makeup! Its just gotten worse and worse over the years since working at a cosmetics counter experimenting with everything. You should try not wearing as much, until you get down to none..see if it helps! I cut down gradually and I'm noticing the improvements. But then again, I also eat a lot less carbs than before and am doing a bunch of other things as well. Since I started almost everything at once, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you what's working for me. I'm very happy that my digestion has normalized though because I'm very sure that has a lot to do with everything!

Interesting, it seems as though everyone I bump into on this site use Revlon Colorstay.. That stuff makes me look like like the creature from the black lagoon. I still can't find anything that doesn't break me out. :|

MemberMember
(@blackbettybambalam)

Posted : 09/07/2013 12:19 am

I take vitamin B5, but I megadose on it right before I eat, helps with fat digestion. It has helped tremendously and I actually see results overnight.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/07/2013 9:45 am

I take vitamin B5, but I megadose on it right before I eat, helps with fat digestion. It has helped tremendously and I actually see results overnight.

Wow, what a statement! I actually just pulled up your post "Pantothenic Acid Works For Me" haha! :P

Do you take any other B vitamins, multivitamins, or just B5 / Pantothenic acid? Also, what do you consider a mega dose and have you experienced any negative side effects at all? And... one last question, how long have you been taking them?? Very curious to see how it's working for you!

MemberMember
(@blackbettybambalam)

Posted : 09/07/2013 11:37 am

Wow, what a statement! I actually just pulled up your post "Pantothenic Acid Works For Me" haha! tongue.png

Do you take any other B vitamins, multivitamins, or just B5 / Pantothenic acid? Also, what do you consider a mega dose and have you experienced any negative side effects at all? And... one last question, how long have you been taking them?? Very curious to see how it's working for you!

About a year now...I get the 500mcg capsules and usually take 20 a day, so like 5-7 when I eat. When I first started, I got an upset stomach but that's the only bad thing I noticed, and it went away after about a week or so. It's got to be what's doing it because I stopped taking it for a month and broke out really bad. It's annoying but you really have to keep on top of taking it. Um, I sometimes take B12 and omega-3 fish oil, but not religiously.