Advice?

MemberMember
(@smithc)

Posted : 08/24/2013 10:45 pm

Hi, I just joined acne.org's forum in hope that I might be able to receive some advice about my acne situation. I am a teenager and have been experiencing acne for the past 2-3 years. I admit that my acne is not as bad as it could be, but it really bothers me constantly. I have many blackheads on my nose/cheeks as well as whiteheads all over my face. I usually get a pimple a week, sometimes more than one. I have some acne on my chest and some whiteheads on my back (with an occasional pimple). I have been going to the dermatologist for the past 2 years or so and have been prescribed many topical lotions such as Ziana, Retin-A, Differin, Clindamycin (spelling?), and Aczone. I am currently using a Clindamycin lotion in the mornings, Aczone at night, and a sulfur lotion in the shower. The problem is my skin is very sensitive and does not react well with any topical treatments. For example, my skin reacted to the Retin-A. I am going to go on antibiotics for my acne to see if that will help, but I do not have much hope in it because my acne is more comedones than cystic. I am really insecure about my skin, enough to the point where I will just stay home and not socialize until my skin is decent. I also hate taking pictures when my skin is bad. It consumes most of my thoughts and is something I am very stressed about. I always have highs and lows with my skin, but I just want the struggle to be over. Can anyone relate or provide any advice about what I should do to help my situation?

MemberMember
(@missindependent95)

Posted : 08/24/2013 10:54 pm

Hey, I'm in the exact same boat as you, except my acne is more severe :( I'd suggest visiting a dermatologist that does Kenalog injections. I know, they're injections so they'll hurt a bit, but trust me when your face clears up the next day its an amazing amazing feeling (no matter how many injections you need to get; and since yours aren't cystic, they shouldn't hurt too much!). In terms of topicals, they don't usually work well with me except I found that Benzaclin did help keep the whiteheads at bay. Antibiotics are useful, but they're not a long term solution. I've only ever been on one though, minocycline, and that along with Benzaclin and the Kenalog injections cleared up my acne about 85% :) But then it stopped working for me and I moved cities so I have yet to find a dermatologist who does Kenalog injections, until then i'm stuck with severe acne :(

MemberMember
(@who-is-box)

Posted : 08/25/2013 12:28 am

I cleared up so much when I started eating a very healthy diet, exercise daily, taking vitamin d supplements, getting sun exposure, and using cetaphil GENTLE skin cleanser. Just be as gentle as possible with your skin and eat healthy. Drink lots and lots of water. Good luck

smithc liked
MemberMember
(@smithc)

Posted : 08/25/2013 9:16 am

I cleared up so much when I started eating a very healthy diet, exercise daily, taking vitamin d supplements, getting sun exposure, and using cetaphil GENTLE skin cleanser. Just be as gentle as possible with your skin and eat healthy. Drink lots and lots of water. Good luck

Thanks for your advice! When you say a "healthy diet" what foods were your main food source (i.e.: fruits, vegetables, salads?). I'm currently taking Omega 369 with vitamin D and it seems to be doing some help. Would you recommend using a clarasonic or any other kind of scrubber, or do you think it is too harsh on someone's skin?

MemberMember
(@who-is-box)

Posted : 08/25/2013 12:01 pm

I do not eat grains, dairy, processed foods. I eat the following every day: Omega 3 enriched eggs, almonds, strawberries, blueberries, carrots, sweet potatoes, salads (I use balsamic because it is so good) fish some days like tuna, wild salmon. Just keep it healthy. Oh and grilled chicken a lot