Notifications
Clear all

Can't Stop Picking 🙁

MemberMember
(@emilyl)

Posted : 08/24/2013 10:29 pm

Hey guys, this is my first post.

Anyways, I have recently started getting a lot of breakouts, and every time i'm in the bathroom, I see my break outs and i start picking. I'm 90% sure that picking is the cause of my acne, but no matter how hard I try, I can't stop. I tell myself that it will only make it worse, and that i will regret it, but it doesnt help. Anyone in the same boat as me? If so, please share tips to stop the picking/ your experiences/ products you use after, anything that might help

Starting tomorrow im going to try not to pick, hopefully I succeed. thanks in advance nod.gif

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/24/2013 11:57 pm

I struggle with picking from time to time - usually it's when I get really stressed or if I'm not feeling good about myself / my skin. I know it makes things worse but it can still be hard to just stop!

I do know from experience that stopping picking can really help your skin. I used to get a few big spots on my right cheek that would keep reappearing in the exact same spot and I realised it was because I never let them 'heal' or go away on their own because I'd always end up picking or messing with them. Once I managed to just leave them alone, they went away and I haven't had acne reappear in the exact same spot as they used to.

I think keeping your nails short / filed helps but the biggest thing that helps me is spending less time in the bathroom or anywhere where I could see my reflection. Just get in and out without stopping to scrutinise your face in the mirror. If you have 'triggers' like I do (being stressed) working on them, if possible, could be helpful too.

And don't beat yourself up if you say you're going to stop picking but you 'fall down' and end up picking - it's ok! It can be a tough habit / compulsion etc to break. But keep at it, keep trying and hopefully you'll see the difference in your skin.

Good luck!:)

emilyl liked
MemberMember
(@emiliesea)

Posted : 08/25/2013 7:01 am

Same here, picking has been an awful habit of mine over the years. Now I'm left with craters all over my face! Honestly, you just need to snap yourself out of it. It's super hard to do, but it is possible. Try to avoid mirrors as much as you can, so you don't get temptations.

Also be aware of your body actions. Not leaning on your chin or your cheek will make you less tempted to pick your pimples. Be consciously aware of where your hands are. It not a hard thing to pick up, and soon you will be able to resist picking your face!

Good luck :)

emilyl liked
MemberMember
(@desperate-anon)

Posted : 08/25/2013 12:57 pm

here is what i do , this may not work for everybody but it helped me a lot . First of all what i did was stop looking in the mirror , just stopped . when i had to comb my hair or something I just used dimmer lights or no lights at all. Also when i had the strongest urge to pick or pop a huge pimple , I would just take a shower and relax. If thats a lengthy process then just mildly wash you face and try to lay down for a while and relax . Despite there might be small urges but you would get by .

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/26/2013 3:01 pm

Stooooooooppppppppp.

Stooooooooooooooppppppppppppppppppppppp.

Dop it! Dop it right now!

Ok, so there's my fail at trying to cheer you up! Anyhow, it could well be picking that's causing your acne to be worse. Picking pushes bacteria deeper into your skin and causes damage which then needs to be healed, making things even harder when your skin tries to heal. I find that telling people around you that you need to stop helps - parents, partners, anyone. Tell them to stop you if they see you going for your face.

Also, try replacing the habit with something else that involves your hands (ever read something back and laughed at your own words...?). Force yourself to do something else when you go to pick. Eventually, the new habit will replace the old one.

emilyl liked
MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/27/2013 4:06 am

there's also a website - I think it's called 'stop picking on me' (so google that and it should come up) and it's about quitting picking and has some good info on it too. It could be helpful for you.

emilyl liked