Notifications
Clear all

What Are The Chances I'll Stay Clean After Roaccutane Treatment?

MemberMember
(@alxstep98)

Posted : 08/24/2013 11:35 am

I've just finished a Roaccutane treatment that lasted 5 months.

My doctor ( I don't remember how it's called, dermatologist or whatever ) said that for most people acne comes back right after you finish the treatment with roaccutane, there is a very small chance that you stay clean and a little higher chance that you will have just a mild acne, my question is - what are the chances I will get acne again? I had a terrible acne complete covering my cheeks and neck, now I only have a few scars left which don't bother me too much, I only don't want to go through this again.. also, how much time do I have to wait after I'm done with the roaccutane before I can drink alcohol?

thanks in advance

edit : sorry, I forgot to ask - is there anything I can do to help my body not get acne again?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/24/2013 2:12 pm

Your dermatologist needs to go back to school and study the effects of accutane again because he is wrong.

Accutane or Roaccutane depending on what country you are in, its the same thing though. Anyways Accutane is the most serious medication that you can take for acne. It also has the highest success rate for curing acne. About 60% of people who take the medication if they took the correct amount and reached your cumulative dosage you have a good chance of your acne not coming back.

The other 40% usually stay clear for anywhere from a few months all the way up to 7 years and then their acne starts to slowly come back. Usually your acne is different as well. Usually less severe. If you research accutane success rates you will see more about what I am talking about. I recommend doing the math and figuring out if you met your cumulative dosage. You will do this by adding your dosage up and multiply it by how many days you were on the medication. Then google what accutane cumulative dosage and figure out by your weight if you took enough of the medication.

You will have a higher chance of staying clear if you take care of your skin after your course and follow up with a topical. I would call your dermatologist and ask for retin a or your favorite topical and use that to ensure that you are keeping your pores clear. Its important to make sure you keep you skin in the condition that Accutane got it to. Continue to use a gentle face wash and wash your face morning and night and a gentle moisturizer and the topical you choose and you should be able to keep your skin clear.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/24/2013 5:12 pm

Almost everyone (>90%) is cleared or virtually cleared by Accutane while they're on the drug; the real question is whether you'll relapse post-treatment. That depends mainly on:

• Your age (younger = more likely to relapse),
  • Your pre-treatment acne severity (more severe = more likely to relapse), and
  • The cumulative dose of Accutane you receive during treatment (higher = less chance of relapse, arguably up to a point).

You can't alter the first two factors, but you can change the last. Statistically, a cumulative dose of at least 120-150 mg/kg gives you the best chance of permanent remission.

Overall, after 1 course of Accutane (reaching ideal cumulative dose):

• ~40% of people are put in permanent remission (essentially "cured"),
  • ~40% have less severe acne manageable by topicals or antibiotics, and
  • ~20% eventually require more Accutane (whether 1 or more additional courses).

(If relapse happens, it usually occurs within 3 years.)

post-145613-1307055261_thumb.jpg

(Click graph)

http://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/90646

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835909/pdf/de0103_0162.pdf

Accutane takes about 1 month to complete clear from your system, so to be very safe, don't drink alcohol until 1 month post-Accutane.

post-145613-1307055261_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@alxstep98)

Posted : 08/25/2013 9:01 am

Your dermatologist needs to go back to school and study the effects of accutane again because he is wrong.

Accutane or Roaccutane depending on what country you are in, its the same thing though. Anyways Accutane is the most serious medication that you can take for acne. It also has the highest success rate for curing acne. About 60% of people who take the medication if they took the correct amount and reached your cumulative dosage you have a good chance of your acne not coming back.

The other 40% usually stay clear for anywhere from a few months all the way up to 7 years and then their acne starts to slowly come back. Usually your acne is different as well. Usually less severe. If you research accutane success rates you will see more about what I am talking about. I recommend doing the math and figuring out if you met your cumulative dosage. You will do this by adding your dosage up and multiply it by how many days you were on the medication. Then google what accutane cumulative dosage and figure out by your weight if you took enough of the medication.

You will have a higher chance of staying clear if you take care of your skin after your course and follow up with a topical. I would call your dermatologist and ask for retin a or your favorite topical and use that to ensure that you are keeping your pores clear. Its important to make sure you keep you skin in the condition that Accutane got it to. Continue to use a gentle face wash and wash your face morning and night and a gentle moisturizer and the topical you choose and you should be able to keep your skin clear.

Good luck!

Almost everyone (>90%) is cleared or virtually cleared by Accutane while they're on the drug; the real question is whether you'll relapse post-treatment. That depends mainly on:

• Your age (younger = more likely to relapse),
  • Your pre-treatment acne severity (more severe = more likely to relapse), and
  • The cumulative dose of Accutane you receive during treatment (higher = less chance of relapse, arguably up to a point).

You can't alter the first two factors, but you can change the last. Statistically, a cumulative dose of at least 120-150 mg/kg gives you the best chance of permanent remission.

Overall, after 1 course of Accutane (reaching ideal cumulative dose):

• ~40% of people are put in permanent remission (essentially "cured"),
  • ~40% have less severe acne manageable by topicals or antibiotics, and
  • ~20% eventually require more Accutane (whether 1 or more additional courses).

(If relapse happens, it usually occurs within 3 years.)

(Click graph)

http://www.karger.com/Article/Pdf/90646

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835909/pdf/de0103_0162.pdf

Accutane takes about 1 month to complete clear from your system, so to be very safe, don't drink alcohol until 1 month post-Accutane.

Thank you so much for making it clear for me, I'm not sure I did the right calculation, I've been taking 30mg per day for 5 months, and I missed like 3-4 days every month so this would be 26*30*5\54kg , thats 70mg\kg. And can I please have an explanation about Retian A? what is it, how does it help, can it damage my skin? I am now using tea tree soap to wash my face morning and evening, also taking zinc vitamins because I've been told it can also help acne in some cases. My dermatologist told me to get duac and benzoyl, is it helpful or should I still get Retin A?

thanks alot for the help again