Notifications
Clear all

Need Help - Advice

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 08/24/2013 11:06 am

I'm older with acne in t-zone my whole adult life. I've used everything including accutane twice. I've done the whole natural thing - everything - but still broke out. Full strength antibiotics kept me clear - only thing. A little over a year ago my derm put me on Panoxyl cleanser (BP) + Cleocin-T in AM and I was already on tretinoin cream 1% in PM. Also on Spiro 100 mg + Doxy 40 mg (for mild rosacea) and monthly professional microdermabrasion. This kept me pretty clear for about 4 months and stopped the cysts. I was happy. Several months ago my cheeks started breaking out...never had that before! Freaked me out. My skin was getting so dry. Ever since starting tretinoin cream 4 years ago my skin has peeled...never stopped...ever. Even if I only used a couple times a week with lotion and correctly. So on advice of derm I tried retin-a micro and peeling was even worse and still got breakouts on cheek. Derm said to stop retin-a. My skin has stopped peeling and is calmer but I notice some small whiteheads forming and I'm still getting 1-2 small papules-pustules a week, although less inflamed since following lower fat diet. Have always eaten very organic and healthy (no dairy, sugars, etc.) and now am trying lower fat diet which does seem to help with skin oiliness. I'm getting so tired of all of this...decades of acne. I just wish it would stop. You'd think at my age I'd be long past this but no...I feel like a perpetual teenager! Now I'm worried about stopping the retin-a after so many years. Am I going to return to the state I was in 5 years ago (cystic, red, inflamed, bumpy...) or will the BP cleanser, Cleocin-T, Spiro, Doxy and microdermabrasion keep things under control? Five years ago I was only using the Spiro and tretinoin cream and my skin was a mess. The BP cleanser, Cleocin-T, Doxy and microdermabrasion are new to my regime as of a year ago.

Retin-a is supposedly the "gold standard" for treating acne and they make it seem like it is the only thing that will keep the pores really clear...like if you have acne you're a fool not to be using it. So I worry about stopping it.

Sorry for this long post but any advice or support is appreciated. I'm sooooo tired of dealing with acne!!!!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 08/25/2013 5:04 pm

Feeling better today. Yesterday I was feeling pretty sorry for myself...not because my acne is so bad --- it isn't -- but just that it has lasted for sooooo long. I keep trying to fine tune what I do to control it thinking that maybe this time I will get the "formula" right and my acne will go away for good. I have to admit that it has been way better this past year and a half. There were actually times I thought that maybe I had solved the problem for good. But then this spring I had the ongoing red spot here and there on my cheeks (due to the retin-a irritation) and this past month had two bothersome pustules on my cheek that I now know were associated with overexerting myself in extremely hot weather 98+ for extended periods of time...one time doing a marathon and the other taking a very long hike. Both times I was without adequate cool water and I think that made things worse. If my body is going to freak out it will do so on my face...and I think my acne rosacea kicked up big time! So I think the key here is paying attention to my triggers.

The other thing I'm trying to be more regular with is making sure I moisturize morning and night. I'm remembering now that I talked several months ago with two friends who have flawless skin who said that if they moisturize they break out. So I thought...well, maybe I'm having problems because I moisturize. So I cut back at that time and then just about stopped moisturizing last month. My skin was getting pretty dry which I realize now most likely fueled the flare-ups. My skin was irritated and getting more and more inflamed. It creeps up. Last week I called my derm rather desperate and the nurse said I needed to be moisturizing faithfully. That the retin-a was too strong...they know that now...but in addition adult acne and definately rosacea can flare-up when facial skin is too dry. Doesn't even have to be flakey which mine was...just too dry. So for the past four days I have been putting on a dollop of moisturizer (DML lotion) morning and night and my skin has really calmed down...way down. In fact I was much more inflamed than I realized.

It gets tiring to have to remember all this stuff. But then life could be worse. Had dinner with a friend who is grossly overweight and struggling with related health problems (diabetes, early heart issues) and she was complaining how she had trouble remembering all the things she's supposed to do to take care of her health issues. This as she ate a big plate of chili relleanos smothered in a rich sauce, extra cheese and sour cream. It was a bit of an eye opener. We all have things we need to pay attention to if we want to be healthy. Not paying attention affects each of us differently depending on our genetics, etc. Just so happens I have the genes for sensitivity to androgens and p.acnes bacteria. I have to admit that acne has kept me pretty healthy over the years (...other than my sometimes struggling self-esteem...). Due to my obsession with my skin and trying to take special care of it, I look way younger than my age. I'm in really good shape and my health is very good due to eating well.

Even the drugs I take (below) are considered low dose and mild. And they are the only ones. So I guess I should quit complaining! But I appreciate being able to vent...to share my worries and fears. It is the fear of being overwhelmed by a flare-up, of having to deal with a nasty lesion when visiting or on vacation that sends me to my knees. Just writing this is embarrassing...

MemberMember
(@nearlydefeated)

Posted : 09/03/2013 12:58 pm

Hi Cvd

I am sorry I can not offer you any advice as I am also battling with many of the same things you are. I am nearly 40 and still get cysts (and recently huge blackheads).

I sympathise with you, I really do. We should not have to go through decades of this and it can feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I am past caring about spots now, it is the scars that they leave behind. You are lucky you look younger, the scarring has ravaged my face along with the stress of it all. Like you, my self esteem is shattered. But ... we have to battle on, it is the only thing we can do.

It is good to vent and I don't think that there is a better place to do it than on these boards. Nobody can possibly understand the mental anguish of acne/scars until they have suffered it.

I wish you strength and best wishes in your journey.

MemberMember
(@keautyizskindeep)

Posted : 09/04/2013 1:25 am

CVD, NearlyDefeated.....have you both tried the Regimen or at least try to follow the philosophy behind it? The products are really good, but you don't have to buy them IF you know what to avoid. Let me share with you a summary of life and experiences with acne.

It really breaks my heart to hear that others have suffered like I have. Reading your posts brings back painful memories because I can definitely relate. Believe it or not, for the first time in 20 years of my acne career, have I felt hope. And I've only followed the Philosophy behind the Regimen for only 1 month. I just recently started their benzoyl peroxide treatment after I had finished my own over the counter benzoyl peroxide treament. And the only reason why I didn't really used the Regimen's cleaser and moisturizer was because I had just spent $100s on other products prior to me finding the website. The first 2 weeks was horrible because my face was angry at me for putting it through hell again, but I was desperate for ANYTHING to work. The BP was making my skin sensitive and dry, and I was about to quite....but I persisted. Me being 38 years old and still breaking out like a teenager was devastating. I've been on accutane 3 times, all kinds of antibiotics, all strengths of Retin-A, benzoyl peroxide (but never really taught how to properly use it), birth control pills, chemical peels, injections, facials, extractions, diet changes, vitamins, exercise, etc. And having to spend so much money and on dermatolgy visits, I was at my wits end. And I wanted to be able to control my acne without having to to take some medication orally for the rest of my life. And accutane was the only thing that helped, but you know the side effects. And it just made me angry to see all these people around me not taking care of their skin, any yet, they didn't have any acne. I was confused and couldn't understand why, why, why. Even in my family, I'm the only one with an acne issue. My parents and brothers....nothing. I thought I was adopted. So, here's what brought me to Acne.org. I started exploring the Internet on other alternatives on how to treat acne, Something I did not try at that time were products from Asia (namely Korean and Japan). I'm Asian, so I thought maybe that was what the problem was. Maybe I needed to use something designed for Asians, plus I heard that the products from Korean and Japan were very good and advanced on skin care. So, I started watching all these videos on YouTube on Asian skincare. I came across a girl's ([Removed]) video channel. She mentioned The Regimen on one of her videos. And here was where my life changed with acne.

This is how I understand how "my" acne occurs, and I think a lot of severe acne suffers occur. First, understand how "normal" acne occurs. Ok...clogged pores for most, right? So what do we do when something is clogged? Our tendency is to find ways to unclog the pores, right? And that's with all the medications and treatments our dermatologists have recommended. Yes...all those things work, but for people with "normal" acne. We don't have "normal" acne. From my observations and experiences over the past years, but mainly recently, I believe our acne is due to built up irritation over the years. Our skin is so sensitive that it's fighting to protect itself...therefore causing the acne. The philosophy behind Acne.Org suggests that we do the complete opposite in treating what we've been used to doing our whole entire lives. Cut out the salicylic acid for now, stop the chemical peels, quit your clarisonic, etc. Wash your face with a mild cleanser for only 10 seconds! Use the BP treament! Go slow! And use a gentle moisturizer with....oil (jojoba)!!! What the heck?! But you know...it was something I haven't tried, and what did I have to lose? More acne??? Really??? So, I took my chances.....and here I am recommending it to you both and praying it may help. I can use a full dose of the BP without a reaction because my face became accustomed to it. And I tell you...I am afraid to stop using it, but for now....I'm happy with the results. It is worth a shot, right? They say that by following the Regimen....you'll give your skin a chance to heal and then in time, you can start to introduce other products one at a time. I just recently started adding my retin-a, again, to help with my scarring, and so far....my face is doing fine. But do explore this website because there's tons on helpful information that may shed some light for you. I haven't felt this good about my face in a long time, and if what I'm sharing can help, then I'll do that. I hope this all makes sense, and I hope it'll be the solution for you, too.

Also, it's my first time posting anything on this website, so I apologize if what I just said was redundant, or if you're already on the products. I have a friend who has psoriasis and eczema and she's been using products with ingredients from the DeadSea. They say that the minerals and DeadSea Salt can help with a lot of different skin problems. I actually use their BBCC creams under my makeup and facial soap from Mindful Minerals.

MemberMember
(@nearlydefeated)

Posted : 09/04/2013 11:04 am

Keauty

Thank you for your heartwarming post and sharing your story.

I've also read good things about sea salt. A male friend of mine years back found all his back acne cleared while swimming in the sea during a holiday.

Oh and like you .... not one person in my family has ever suffered from acne - just me and the worse kind! Bummer eh! lol

Best wishes

MemberMember
(@sgreenta)

Posted : 09/05/2013 2:20 am

Hi. I am in my mid 40s. I also have adult acne (cysts, papules, comedones, pustules) and rosacea (facial redness, flushing, pustules, scales) which was really pretty severe. I saw 3 different dermatologists in 6 months. i tried everything: retin a, antibiotics, rosac wash, hyrpdrocortisone, finacea, aczone, and in....

PLEASE TRY THE REGIMEN. :)

I started the regimen about 3 months ago and my skin got worse for the first 2-3 weeks. I literally did not want to leave the house. I was pretty discouraged and did email for some coaching. Brandy emailes back the same day. She is very helpful and informative. Then, after following the regimen religiously and exactly as instructed, using purpose cleanser, neutrogena on the spot and cetaphil lotion, I noticed slowly that it started really clearing up. Even the rosacea! About week 6 I bought Dan's products, which are fantastic. I also started on prescription nicomide (supplement containing zinc, folic acid, copper and niacin) and Culturelle probiotic a few weeks ago. I cut out all gluten and dairy. Now, my skin is nearly perfect. I still get some flushing, and very mild redness. I get a zit maybe once per week, but nothing like it was. I don't even need cover up! I can't remember not needing cover up.

Please try it and stick it out with the regimen even if your skin gets worse at first and even if it doesn't clear up fast. It will work! Also, ask your derm about nicomide. It (in combination with everything else) has helped tremendously.

I understand what you are going through. I hope this helps

Stacey

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 09/11/2013 11:06 am

Hi Stacey

Thanks so much for your reply! I was freaking out after stopping the retin-a but it was the best thing I ever did for my skin. My skin is now doing sooooo much better. The retin-a was way too irritating and adding to inflammation and breakouts. My skin has now healed and is much calmer. I use a benzoil peroxide cleanser that is patented for acne control (Panoxyl) and it works well with my skin without irritating the rosacea. I can't use topical BP --- too irritating. So Dan's regime won't work for me...but I am thrilled it is working for you!

My regime below is working well --- just had to stop the retin-a. I have also benefited tremendously from following a very low-fat whole foods diet and avoiding all dairy, sugars, alcohol, and processed foods, including all oils except first-pressed extra-virgin olive oil (sparingly). It also helps me to eat flour products very sparingly. This may be part of the rosacea issue (triggers) but it also reflects how cultures that eat this way very rarely get acne.

I'll ask my derm about Nicomide. It might be a way for me to transition off the low-dose doxy I've been taking for inflammation.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/12/2013 1:28 pm

Have you ever tried progesterone cream as you age and your set of hormones starts changing again?

Spiro seems to be less helpful as we age, because the problem converts from an androgen problem to a progesterone deficiency problem.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 09/12/2013 11:07 pm

Actually I'm post-menopausal and after having tests it is still an androgen problem for me. According to the endocronologist and my derm, some people are unusually sensitive to androgens throughout life. Such sensitivity makes adults (all ages) prone to acne. Progesterone does not cause the same issues with sensitivity as androgens. You can have normal levels of testosterone and estrogen in the body but this androgen sensitivity will cause inflammation and acne. I asked about using progesterone creams (for other menopause issues) but it was not recommended as any hormone supplimentation can upset hormone balances and make more problems with androgen levels.