Notifications
Clear all

Men Can Wear Makeup Too!

MemberMember
(@twerp)

Posted : 08/23/2013 10:44 pm

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed yet, but if it has feel free to disregard this whole shpeal.

So I've seen a loooot of posts on here (usually by men) asking what makeup products can and can't be used for men, how great it would be if men could wear makeup, etc. etc, and I'd just like to say that people of all genders can wear makeup. To say otherwise is incredibly ignorant. However, this does not mean that other ignorant people don't stir up anxiety and doubt in people by shaming them for wearing makeup.

I was thinking we could have a discussion about how you may have been put down for wearing makeup because of your gender, sexuality, race, or anything really. This topic is, ideally, open to anyone (although if you use the term emasculating or misandrist I will be very disappointed in you >.<) who has been put down for covering their acne.

Anyone want to share?

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 08/31/2013 8:15 am

I use it often, I'm a guy, I would not admit to it though. Only my parents know about it and if I had a girlfriend I suppose I'd tell her too. Other than that I feel no matter how hard u try its still going to be looked down by the vast majority of society in general. Regardless, makeup does wonders. Easily makes a person look great within minutes.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 08/31/2013 8:41 am

I use it often, I'm a guy, I would not admit to it though. Only my parents know about it and if I had a girlfriend I suppose I'd tell her too. Other than that I feel no matter how hard u try its still going to be looked down by the vast majority of society in general. Regardless, makeup does wonders. Easily makes a person look great within minutes.

What makeup are you using?

Did you buy it at the counter?

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 09/01/2013 9:40 pm

What makeup are you using?

Did you buy it at the counter?

I don't over do it. I just use regular concealer. I dont go beyond that. Look up Loreal true match concealer. It comes in a bottle. cost around 10 bucks at the drugstore. If u wanna buy it go at night. Usually only 1 cashier there and just do it quick. I just use it over the red spots on my skin. If I get a bump I usually use a band aid on it with some sort of acne figting meds under it. I look weird, but havent had much negative results.

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 09/02/2013 6:23 am

I have and do use (sometimes) a concealer stick. There was only one time i got caught out, which was during the early days of using it and thus i didnt know the art of blending techniques.

it was my mates gf and we were about to get into a car, i called shot gun and she said noo i want to sit up front, so i was like erm ok but tough since i called it haah, and she said pleaseee let me or i'll tell that you have concealer on your nose lol!

it wasn't in a bitchy way, we were having banter, hats off for her for spotting that though!

these days, i just go au natural, unless its very bad and i feel self conscious about it. it is actually liberating going out and knowing you have a mark on your face, you will learn that no one says anything and no one really cares. they are all too concerned about themselves

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 09/02/2013 6:30 am

I'm female but I say go for it - anything that helps you feel more comfortable and confident has to be okay!

And for you guys, as has already been said, just stick with concealer and a little goes a long way, and blend in the edges. Once or twice and you'll have it down pat.

If you aren't sure on shade go buy a couple at a drugstore, do some research on line first so you can zip in and pick up the exact kind you want in two shades you think are close...many now have self checkouts, then you are out of there. Or drugstore.com for those in the US.

But I encourage you guys to do it, nothing wrong with it in my book!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 09/02/2013 9:46 am

I want to, but I would not know where to start!

I want something to mattify and even out my skin tone. Oh and something to cover up red marks/healing acne. I assume that would be concealer?

Hmm! Any recommendations?

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 09/02/2013 10:05 am

I want to, but I would not know where to start!

I want something to mattify and even out my skin tone. Oh and something to cover up red marks/healing acne. I assume that would be concealer?

Hmm! Any recommendations?

It's hard to find one that will be completely unnoticable.

I think bb creams are more natural and bb creams comes with ingredients that help help the skin.

Bb creams was originally created for people who have just undergone surgery. They are applied to the skin to help with healing.

Look for skinfood orange sunstick bb cream.

It looks good but i havent tried it.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/03/2013 11:00 pm

I have seen guys with better makeup than me, so I say if it makes you feel better and more confident then go for it! Just make sure you get the right shade and don't overdo it. Unfortunately, it's hard to match your shade with drugstore concealers - you may need to blend 2 shades together to get a natural look. Mineral makeup works for some guys too, but if you have large pores then it will be noticeable unless you use a good primer or moisturizer. ^^ArggNee makes a good suggestion about BB creams. I haven't been able to find one that helps my skin and matches my skintone, but you can always ask for samples at the mall and try them out. And remember to always remove your makeup before going to bed!

Edit: I forgot to mention...I noticed recently that there are more guys working in makeup counters (like MAC, sephora, ulta) and most of them try out the makeup, so maybe you could approach a male salesperson and ask them for recommendations. Usually their makeup looks natural and flawless.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 09/03/2013 11:25 pm

Lol, i havent seen one guy buying makeup EvER or even in the make up isles..

Im in Canada btw.

Maybe your countries are more open and accepting.

Also, i think we dont have self check out here. Or maybe havent encountered one.

MemberMember
(@faceandlms)

Posted : 09/06/2013 1:18 pm

I wear garnier bbcream mixed with a touch of zinc powder to mask acne scars/redness. I might switch to an asian brand with more olive undertones to counteract the pinkness in my face.

I think the majority of women label guys who wear makeup as "gay" or "creeps" It's unfortunate this double standard still exists. South Korea seems to be an exception.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 10/05/2013 10:33 am

Thought I'd revive this thread because I'm considering buying something to even out my skin-tone. I basically want something to cover any remaining red marks I have and then something powder based to take away any shine from my face. From searches I have done, the products I would need are typically a concealer and a bronzer - but I have no idea what products to use.

I don't want to spend a lot of money and end up with something super noticeable that cakes up and feels heavy on my face, but at the same time I don't want something that will be completely useless. I thought bare minerals would be my best bet, but I've read a lot of negative reviews on here so I'm going to avoid their products.

Any ideas? I don't really want to use a BB cream because I hate using creams. Something I can quickly put on with a brush or stick would be much more proffered! Thanks.

MemberMember
(@jfiligree)

Posted : 10/05/2013 5:26 pm

Thought I'd revive this thread because I'm considering buying something to even out my skin-tone. I basically want something to cover any remaining red marks I have and then something powder based to take away any shine from my face. From searches I have done, the products I would need are typically a concealer and a bronzer - but I have no idea what products to use.

I don't want to spend a lot of money and end up with something super noticeable that cakes up and feels heavy on my face, but at the same time I don't want something that will be completely useless. I thought bare minerals would be my best bet, but I've read a lot of negative reviews on here so I'm going to avoid their products.

Any ideas? I don't really want to use a BB cream because I hate using creams. Something I can quickly put on with a brush or stick would be much more proffered! Thanks.

I'm male and I've tried using a lot of different types of makeup (foundation, bb cream, powders) for my red marks. Bb cream was OK but the "best" one (Skin79) broke me out and was a little too grey for my skin...and it didn't keep me matte. Bare minerals broke me out really badly.

I have very oily skin, so I really like powders. The best ones I have tried are by MAC. I start with a primer for my T-zone (otherwise the makeup looks weird in lines), then use the MAC Studio Careblend powder (light plus). Then I use the MAC blot powder over that to keep me from getting shiny (it doesn't add color). I apply the powders with a cheap kabuki brush - the makeup is somewhat expensive, but it lasts a long time and is very high quality (can't even tell I'm wearing anything).

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/07/2013 3:08 pm

I don't think you need a bronzer, unless you want to look more tan/less pale. I can always tell when guys wear a bronzer because it looks like blush.

If you can find a concealer to exactly match your shade, you could get away with only wearing concealer. Mineral powders are ok too, but sometimes they can make your pores more visible and then it's apparent that you are wearing makeup.

I use the bare minerals matte foundation. The matte version doesn't contain bismuth, which is what the regular version contains and breaks people out. I used to use the regular and it offered more flawless coverage, but sometimes it made my skin itch. The matte version is supposed to make pores less noticeable...the only issue I have with it is that it oxidizes (turns orange) and I couldn't find the right match. Sometimes I mix 2 colors together to get it right.

As for BB creams, usually it doesn't take that long to apply them. You just use them like a moisturizer and apply all over (including the neck, then blend the neck with a kabuki brush to look more natural)....but yeah, I think concealers are more convenient. I'm using maybeline's concealer now and it hasn't broken me out but it's a bit too dark for my skin. I prefer liquid concealers because stick concealers dry out my skin.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/07/2013 6:40 pm

Everyday Minerals (everydayminerals.com) has some great shine reducing powder-based products. You can also get samples of shades to try out for a few bucks. They don't have the irritating ingredients that BareMinerals have.