Notifications
Clear all

Need Help Gaining Weight

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/23/2013 7:35 pm

So I've been eating quite well lately and have had success in reducing my acne and oily skin (it's still not perfect though). I am naturally quite thin (120 lbs, 5'6") and lose weight easily. Since changing my diet for my skin I have lost 10 lbs that I didn't need to lose. I feel like I'm eating a lot, but the foods I'm eating are naturally very low in calories (veggies, lean protein, etc.) and so I'm losing weight. What foods can I add to my diet that are high in calories, but will not mess up the improvements I've made?

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/23/2013 7:38 pm

What types of foods have you eliminated from your diet?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/23/2013 7:44 pm

Wheat and sugar. I think I used to get a lot of my calories from eating wheat products with every meal (cereal, sandwich, dinner rolls, etc.).

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/23/2013 8:05 pm

You need to be supplementing yourself. Try having Ensure+ or Boost+ 2-3 times daily. They are weight gain shakes that are gluten and dairy free. Admittedly, they are not very pleasant drink (I know from personal experience), but it's much easier than trying to consume your calories through food. I'm also gluten, dairy, soy, and caffeine free, so I know the struggle of trying to keep your weight up.

Also, you can buy more condensed foods that contain organic ingredients that also conform to your current diet. Try gluten free shortbread cookies that are made with Agave instead of sugar. Or make buckwheat pancakes and have agave syrup and smart balance (butter substitute) on them. SImple ways to add in calories without having to feel uncomfortably full!

You can PM me if you have any questions. I have a ton of personal experience with this subject.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/23/2013 8:11 pm

Natural peanut butter is a fast way to get calories. 200 in 2 TBSPs

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/23/2013 8:54 pm

You need to be supplementing yourself. Try having Ensure+ or Boost+ 2-3 times daily. They are weight gain shakes that are gluten and dairy free. Admittedly, they are not very pleasant drink (I know from personal experience), but it's much easier than trying to consume your calories through food. I'm also gluten, dairy, soy, and caffeine free, so I know the struggle of trying to keep your weight up.

Also, you can buy more condensed foods that contain organic ingredients that also conform to your current diet. Try gluten free shortbread cookies that are made with Agave instead of sugar. Or make buckwheat pancakes and have agave syrup and smart balance (butter substitute) on them. SImple ways to add in calories without having to feel uncomfortably full!

You can PM me if you have any questions. I have a ton of personal experience with this subject.

Thanks for the reply. Ensure and boost look like they may break me out, but I'm not sure. Boost has less sugar, but I'm not yet sure if dairy is something that breaks me out. I'm definitely going to try the buckwheat pancakes though!

Is peanut butter bad for acne? I stopped eating it and am a little nervous to start again.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/23/2013 9:17 pm

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/23/2013 10:57 pm

Most things that will put on weight have the potential to increase acne unfortunately. Very few foods are clean and still contain enough calories to be useful.

Give these a shot

0003000001040_500X500.jpg

They're old fashioned Quaker Oats (also called rolled/steel cut/whole oats), there was a thread about them a week or so ago. I eat them everyday and have never had any problems. You can buy them at Walmart or Target.

They taste very plain, but you can always add fruit to them. High in carbs and protein, high fiber, no sugar, no salt, very little fat (the fat is plant based anyway), and little to no cholesterol. It is about as healthy as you can get in terms of a high calorie food.

The box says to cook them on the stove top, but there's no need. You can just add hot water like regular oatmeal; that's what I do.

These will keep you full forever too LOL.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/24/2013 1:44 am

Most things that will put on weight have the potential to increase acne unfortunately. Very few foods are clean and still contain enough calories to be useful.

Give these a shot

0003000001040_500X500.jpg

They're old fashioned Quaker Oats (also called rolled/steel cut/whole oats), there was a thread about them a week or so ago. I eat them everyday and have never had any problems. You can buy them at Walmart or Target.

They taste very plain, but you can always add fruit to them. High in carbs and protein, high fiber, no sugar, no salt, very little fat (the fat is plant based anyway), and little to no cholesterol. It is about as healthy as you can get in terms of a high calorie food.

The box says to cook them on the stove top, but there's no need. You can just add hot water like regular oatmeal; that's what I do.

These will keep you full forever too LOL.

agreed.

but i was unsure about the 'high calorie' part though!

MemberMember
(@iconzz)

Posted : 08/24/2013 8:24 am

i was so healthy....... dieting made me so damn skinning.. now m wit acne scrs and malnourished... now i eat everything i never get a single pimple but there are scars..:(

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/24/2013 11:41 am

That's interesting about Quaker Oats. I find that whenever I eat oatmeal, that I get through two bites and them I'm full for the rest of the day. They must expand in you stomach for something... o.O

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/24/2013 2:48 pm

That's interesting about Quaker Oats. I find that whenever I eat oatmeal, that I get through two bites and them I'm full for the rest of the day. They must expand in you stomach for something... o.O

That's actually what happens LOL. Rice and Oats will absorb water and expand a little.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/25/2013 9:10 pm

That's actually what happens LOL. Rice and Oats will absorb water and expand a little.

No wonder I can never make it through a bowl of risotto... lol

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 08/26/2013 7:09 am

Just for facts here: Old-fashioned Quaker Oats contain only 150 calories per serving (serving size: 1/2 cup). That's not much for breakfast. I've struggled with weight (both from dieting restrictions for acne and other reasons). 150 cals, 3g of fat (good fats), 5g of protein and 4g of fiber (I'm looking as the container right now). You will not gain weight by only adding this into your plan. That said, I do highly recommend it, as others have already mentioned. It's very basic plain food that shouldn't cause irritation.

As for other "healthy" or anti-inflammatory foods that can help you gain weight: any healthy fats (olive oil, avocados, nuts - almonds, walnuts specifically, peanut butter). Eggs are also a great option, if you are not allergic. They have good fat, plus protein and nutrients your body needs. I have two eggs a day and it hasn't affected my acne at all (everyone is different though).

The more unprocessed the food, the better, as you likely already knew. Ensure isn't a bad choice, but I've only seen it used if you're malnourished or severely underweight, or anyone wanting to gain weight fast (which is why they're used in eating disordered patients).

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/26/2013 4:59 pm

Just for facts here: Old-fashioned Quaker Oats contain only 150 calories per serving (serving size: 1/2 cup). That's not much for breakfast. I've struggled with weight (both from dieting restrictions for acne and other reasons). 150 cals, 3g of fat (good fats), 5g of protein and 4g of fiber (I'm looking as the container right now). You will not gain weight by only adding this into your plan. That said, I do highly recommend it, as others have already mentioned. It's very basic plain food that shouldn't cause irritation.

As for other "healthy" or anti-inflammatory foods that can help you gain weight: any healthy fats (olive oil, avocados, nuts - almonds, walnuts specifically, peanut butter). Eggs are also a great option, if you are not allergic. They have good fat, plus protein and nutrients your body needs. I have two eggs a day and it hasn't affected my acne at all (everyone is different though).

The more unprocessed the food, the better, as you likely already knew. Ensure isn't a bad choice, but I've only seen it used if you're malnourished or severely underweight, or anyone wanting to gain weight fast (which is why they're used in eating disordered patients).

Obviously that's not much because 1/2 cup is a tiny amount of the oatmeal. Most people can easily have 2 cups in one sitting; which JUST FOR FACTS, has 600 calories, 20g of protein, 16g fibers, and large amounts of other macros. THAT my friend, is a good breakfast.

MemberMember
(@maskedone)

Posted : 08/26/2013 6:26 pm

Obviously that's not much because 1/2 cup is a tiny amount of the oatmeal. Most people can easily have 2 cups in one sitting; which JUST FOR FACTS, has 600 calories, 20g of protein, 16g fibers, and large amounts of other macros. THAT my friend, is a good breakfast.

Ah, didn't realize you were talking about eating four servings for breakfast. Everyone is different. I can have one serving with a piece of fruit or a few eggs and feel full, but that's me. I wasn't trying to disagree with you. My apologies if my post was came across condescendingly; that wasn't my intention.

Anecdotally, I couldn't eat four servings of oats! My stomach isn't that big! :) But it would be easy for me to add a tablespoon of olive oil to my salad and not feel stuffed, ya know? Just trying to be helpful. Again, apologies if it came across any differently. Oats are a great option for breakfast.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/26/2013 6:52 pm

The bolded words lent me to believe you were trying to make a point :)

Black beans and brown rice are also a good healthy and cheap option.

The oats and the rice/beans mix make up about 30% of my diet when I'm away at school LOL.