Negative Experience...

Notifications
Clear all

Negative Experience With Saw Palmetto

MemberMember
(@janis808)

Posted : 08/23/2013 3:33 pm

I haven't been on this forum in years, but I just wanted to post briefly that I had purchased the standardized Saw Palmetto from GNC to combat my oily skin after reading about it on this forum and elsewhere online, that when I woke up the next day, I had the worst rash all over my neck. After 2 more pills, it got even worse, and I knew right away that it was the Saw Palmetto. I know that many people have a positive experience, but I just wanted to share the downside of it as well. I took off of work today and now taking Cetrizine (I believe it's the prescription form of Zyrtec). I was so happy to try it, but now I think this could be good that this is definitely not worth it for a long term effect even if I didn't get a rash. I also googled adverse effect reviews to read both sides, and now appreciate this didn't work for me. It will work for some, but definitely not me. I wonder if I'm just sensitive to some herbs. I did also take Accutane 5 years ago, but either way, I couldn't handle this. I will have to find other ways to help with my oily skin. Thank you for reading.

MemberMember
(@mikito)

Posted : 09/02/2013 7:37 am

I, m giving saw palmetto a try, but I have only been taking it (120 mg of saw palmetto per day) for a month, and it,s too soon to say something positive or negative. But Ill keep updating with my experience with saw palmetto. Yanis808, thank you for sharing your opinion.

Has anyone tried saw palmetto in the past and could you tell us your experience?

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 09/02/2013 2:45 pm

You're probably allergic to saw palmetto or some other ingredient in the supplement. I got hives when I took an alpha lipoic acid supplement for my acne. Unfortunately reactions like that aren't something you can predict without trying out a supplement for yourself.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/02/2013 5:44 pm

:\ Awww. Have you tried zinc and d3 and all that other good stuff? Or were you thinking it's hormonal?

If you're worried about oily skin I would try drinking Bigelow's Mint Medley tea. It might sound crazy but it always works for me. I kinda hate how strong it tastes but when I drank 2 cups (big-maybe 16 oz.) with two tea bags each time -> totaling 4 tea bags a day, my skin was no longer a greasy mess.

MemberMember
(@janis808)

Posted : 09/03/2013 3:34 pm

Thank you guys for reading. I'm sure I was allergic to it, and I also had to take a couple days off from work because it was so horrible. I gave the Saw palmetto to my boyfriend, and he is fine on it. (It helps with balding so I gave it to him and he excitedly took it lol) I have tried spearmint tea for a year now, I still drink it even though it doesn't help my oily skin. I also drink green tea everyday and eats veggies/fruits, but nothing really helps my skin. I've had oily skin since I was 12, and even thought I had maybe PCOS, but the doctor said I don't have any symptoms for it. I suppose I was just trying to find a reason for my skin being VERY oily. For some reason I don't see myself growing out of it. I once had an English teacher in high school who had oily skin and she was in her late 40s, but it just looked greasy. There are a lot of other things I tried like high doses of B5, but I wouldn't recommend that as it made me very tired.

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/04/2013 8:21 pm

:( I'm sorry to hear that nothing works for you, and it does sound like you've tried it all. Have you been to a derm?