Notifications
Clear all

Am I Washing My Face Too Much In The Morning?

MemberMember
(@heng129)

Posted : 08/23/2013 2:53 pm

So 5 days of the week I go to the gym.

My usual routine is when I wake up, I'll splash my face with water 4-5 times before the gym. During the gym, if I sweat I will use paper towels and blot my face to get rid of the sweat. Once I finish my workout, I'll splash my face with water 4-5 times before I leave. Finally, once I get home I'll shower and do this regimen:

• Been washing my face with just water for the past 2 months.
  • Ery-tab EC 500 MG pills (twice a day) - Prescribed by dermatologist
  • Clindamycin 1% topical (twice a day) - Prescribed by dermatologist
  • Benzoyl Peroxide 5% topical gel (twice a day) - Prescribed by dermatologist
  • Tazorac 1% gel (twice a day) - Prescribed by dermatologist
  • DML 25 SPF Moisturizer for the day and Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion for the night

Doing this regimen for the past 2 months, I have seen improvement in my skin but I keep breaking out more (a lot of white heads too now) which slowly looks like it's getting rid of whatever has been improving.

Should I stop washing my face so much or is it okay since I'm sweating at the gym?

My skin is a bit dry after applying all my topicals, but it's not really really dry where it's all flaky.

Also, I feel like I should cut out the Clindamycin and BP topicals and the Ery-Tab pills and do a different regimen with a face wash (Was thinking about Cerave) but at the same time I'm afraid that I will just end up making my skin worse and having to start over again.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/23/2013 5:23 pm

I don't think you're watching your face too much, no. Maybe if you're only using water and don't need to wash off any cleanser you should splash your face less. Maybe 1-2 times?

I would say my main concern is the amount of topicals that are using. I know that they were prescribed, but it does seem a lot. There's a lot of contact with the skin going on and you need to let your skin have some time to rejuvenate.

Could you not just apply BP alone and then your moisturiser only? Just try keep irritation to a minimal.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 08/23/2013 6:50 pm

• DML 25 SPF Moisturizer for the day and Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion for the night

Try just keeping that first bullet in the chamber.

MemberMember
(@heng129)

Posted : 08/25/2013 9:15 pm

I don't think you're watching your face too much, no. Maybe if you're only using water and don't need to wash off any cleanser you should splash your face less. Maybe 1-2 times?

I would say my main concern is the amount of topicals that are using. I know that they were prescribed, but it does seem a lot. There's a lot of contact with the skin going on and you need to let your skin have some time to rejuvenate.

Could you not just apply BP alone and then your moisturiser only? Just try keep irritation to a minimal.

I definitely want to stop using all of these products but like I said, I'm afraid that it'll just get worse! But I'll never know until I actually try it and shouldn't I keep using the tazorac to help against my scars?

Try just keeping that first bullet in the chamber.

I've really been thinking about just going water only and maybe moisturizing whenever I need to. But since I've been using my face wash, I've been getting so many white heads now! Guessing that the topicals aren't really helping?

MemberMember
(@heng129)

Posted : 08/25/2013 9:41 pm

Screw it! Gonna start just using the BP Gel and moisturizer starting tonight. I have an appointment with my dermatologist next week so we'll see how she reacts lol.

Wish me luck! Hopefully, it works out better.

MemberMember
(@salinas)

Posted : 08/26/2013 6:21 am

yes, and you use too many products on your face, and too much (stick to once a day), in my opinion. Why are you afraid of sweating?

The whiteheads could be explained by using tazorac, a retinoid that is purging your skin. This is in fact a good thing.

MemberMember
(@heng129)

Posted : 08/26/2013 1:48 pm

yes, and you use too many products on your face, and too much (stick to once a day), in my opinion. Why are you afraid of sweating?

The whiteheads could be explained by using tazorac, a retinoid that is purging your skin. This is in fact a good thing.

So are you saying that the tazorac was probably breaking me out even more?

MemberMember
(@heng129)

Posted : 08/26/2013 10:21 pm

Will just applying the BP and moisturizer help with my scars? I have a lot on my cheek areas.

Also, I have acne on my back and chest. Any recommendations on what to do with that? I've been using Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser on it but it really hasn't been doing much to it.

MemberMember
(@salinas)

Posted : 08/27/2013 6:02 am

tazorac is a retinoid, they purge your skin.

I think you need a good talk with your dermatologist about the best course of action and what you actually want to achieve.

MemberMember
(@heng129)

Posted : 08/27/2013 9:15 pm

tazorac is a retinoid, they purge your skin.

I think you need a good talk with your dermatologist about the best course of action and what you actually want to achieve.

You said that it was a good thing? Why's that? Sorry if you've already said it lol.

I've been using it for 2 months with this regimen but I've been using Tazorac overall for about 8-9 months. Seen improvements but I kept breaking out and it would take away whatever improved slowly (like said above).

I was using Tretinoin gel .025% before my dermatologist gave me tazorac.

Not sure if I should do BP, Tazorac, Moisturizer or just abandon the tazorac for good?

The BP and moisturizer has been doing good the past couple days (a couple of breakouts) but it looks like the scars are showing more.

MemberMember
(@salinas)

Posted : 08/28/2013 6:16 am

sorry, I meant to say although it's very frustrating, the fact that junk in your skin is coming to the surface is a good thing, as the only way to solve your acne is to unclog your pores. But when the stuff that's clogging your pores starts moving to the surface, that can go together with pimples (or whiteheads) as this is an opportunity for bacteria to get in the skin/pores.

That's why BP can help: it kills the bacteria.

BP is for treating symptoms (it kills the bacteria preventing infected pimples) and a retinoid (tretinoin, differin, retin-a, tazorac) is for purging your pores, and keeping them clear from too much sebum clogging them. Without the enlarged and clogged pores, the bacteria wouldn't be able to get into the pores and cause the pimples (everybody has the bacteria, but when you have smooth skin, and no clogged pores, the bacteria are harmless).

My advice would be: use as little products as possible (and only once a day, at night), for example only a retinoid (differin works good for me) and a moisturizer if your skin is dry. And do not overwash (the more your wash your skin, the more sebum your skin produces to fight the dryness). Only use BP if you get serious infected pimples.

But best to talk to your dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@heng129)

Posted : 08/28/2013 12:33 pm

sorry, I meant to say although it's very frustrating, the fact that junk in your skin is coming to the surface is a good thing, as the only way to solve your acne is to unclog your pores. But when the stuff that's clogging your pores starts moving to the surface, that can go together with pimples (or whiteheads) as this is an opportunity for bacteria to get in the skin/pores.

That's why BP can help: it kills the bacteria.

BP is for treating symptoms (it kills the bacteria preventing infected pimples) and a retinoid (tretinoin, differin, retin-a, tazorac) is for purging your pores, and keeping them clear from too much sebum clogging them. Without the enlarged and clogged pores, the bacteria wouldn't be able to get into the pores and cause the pimples (everybody has the bacteria, but when you have smooth skin, and no clogged pores, the bacteria are harmless).

My advice would be: use as little products as possible (and only once a day, at night), for example only a retinoid (differin works good for me) and a moisturizer if your skin is dry. And do not overwash (the more your wash your skin, the more sebum your skin produces to fight the dryness). Only use BP if you get serious infected pimples.

But best to talk to your dermatologist.

I shower once a day (usually after the gym) and just splash my face on the other part of the day. Possibly I could use BP in the morning and night and then the tazorac at night before bed?

MemberMember
(@salinas)

Posted : 08/29/2013 9:39 am

I shower once a day (usually after the gym) and just splash my face on the other part of the day. Possibly I could use BP in the morning and night and then the tazorac at night before bed?

sounds ok to me, except only apply BP in the morning, once a day is enough. These products continue to work inside your skin, even after you have washed your skin. so applying them once a day will do. More might only irritate your skin too much.

MemberMember
(@heng129)

Posted : 08/29/2013 10:18 am

sounds ok to me, except only apply BP in the morning, once a day is enough. These products continue to work inside your skin, even after you have washed your skin. so applying them once a day will do. More might only irritate your skin too much.

Alright hopefully I see improvement! I can't see my dermatologist until tuesday and I move back to college on Monday -_-

I was reading and saw that people were mixing the clindamycin and bp together. Does that work any better or is bp enough?

Also should I be using the Bp and tazorac as spot treatment or on mostly my whole face? (i have acne on mostly my cheeks, and a little on my t-zone and around ny mouth)

MemberMember
(@salinas)

Posted : 08/30/2013 6:25 am

Also should I be using the Bp and tazorac as spot treatment or on mostly my whole face? (i have acne on mostly my cheeks, and a little on my t-zone and around ny mouth)

I would use BP for spot treatment of areas with acne, and tazorac for whole face (or at least all areas that seem to have clogged pores). But those are great questions for your dermatologist, Goodluck.