Notifications
Clear all

Done With Accutane...now What?

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 08/22/2013 9:52 pm

I just completed a five month course of Accutane and my dermatologist did not recommend any maintenance therapy afterwards. I've read on here that some people use a topical retinoid following their course to maintain their results, is that typical? My skin is completely clear and has been for quite some time but I am noticing that it feels like there are some very small bumps developing under the skin, it feels almost like grains of sand and they are along my chin & jaw line, where my acne used to be. I'm scared that my acne is going to return but also scared to use any chemicals on my skin, I don't want to cause any irritation that might also cause a breakout. Does anyone have any suggestions or experienced anything similar?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/22/2013 10:07 pm

Hard to say on this one. When I finished I didnt do anything other than wash and I was fine for about 6 months then I started breaking out not a lot but mildly. I then got a topical and my face really started to breakout. So I suggest if your going to start a topical start it right away dont wait. Or many people never use anything on their skin again.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/22/2013 10:34 pm

everythingthatshimmers: before Accutane, was your acne associated with oily skin?

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 08/22/2013 11:02 pm

my derm wants me to use bp. Don't know what to say.

MemberMember
(@dupa)

Posted : 08/23/2013 11:09 am

Start off with a cleanser (I use cetaphil), then exfoliate (Stridex red box), then moisturize (CeraVe in the tub).

MemberMember

Posted : 08/23/2013 9:15 pm

Biggs881: No, I've really never had oily skin

MemberMember
(@ls206816)

Posted : 08/29/2013 10:40 pm

Just ended too and I have no clue what to do. My skins still super dry so I'm moisturizing and using a gentle face wash. My derm just said to come back if theres any breakouts that don't clear up. So I have no clue what to do. Today I bought a face wash from Clearasil called Daily Clear Refreshing SuperFruit Wash. It only has 1% Salicylic Acid so I think it will be gentle enough for me to use once a day. Hopefully theres more replies. I wish y derm would have told me more.

MemberMember

Posted : 08/30/2013 8:09 am

Yeah, maybe it's not unusual to not be prescribed a treatment post-Accutane? It just seems odd, after all these years and regimens to just wash and moisturize. lol. I'm happy to report that I no longer seem to have those little bumps under the skin. Fingers crossed for permanently clear skin! =)