Notifications
Clear all

Seborrheic Dermatitis In Eyebrows

MemberMember
(@suffering12)

Posted : 08/22/2013 7:46 pm

Hi everyone, I have been diagnosed with seb derm in my eyebrows, I am also losing tons of eyebrow hairs anytime I use any dandruff shampoos or steroid lotions....basically I can't touch the brows without them coming off. None of the treatments have worked and its been over a year. I have major flaking in the eyebrows but I also get perifollicular scaling which is scale that is wrapped right around the base of the hair follicles. That scale cannot come off without the hair coming off with it. Its like the scale is attaching the hair to my skin, but barely because the hair is weak and can move up and down easily. I dont know what to do, has anyone out there experienced something like this? My brows itch like crazy. When I come out of the shower I have this whitish paste all over the brows and tzone which I have to rub off each time, and when it dries there is so much flaking in the brows because I dont rub it off there obviously. Any growth I am getting is very fine and thin and my eyebrows are very sparse now. The doctors tell me that seb derm doesnt damage the follicles, but I am not sure about that. If anyone out there can offer some help I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@rolileisztner)

Posted : 08/24/2013 11:17 am

i had this dermatotitidis for over a year too, it was between eyebrows and little bit on forehead. it was so dry and sometimes red, i used to touch it all day long, so itchy .then i got chemical peel for acne marks 40 and. 50 %.and it destroyed my sebehoroic dermatitidis! ( but didnt worked for red marks argh!!!! ) thats my experience, you should ask a doctor about it, many will think chemical peel will just worsen eczema including me but it actually healed me.

MemberMember
(@steigerhome123)

Posted : 08/24/2013 12:17 pm

Hi everyone, I have been diagnosed with seb derm in my eyebrows, I am also losing tons of eyebrow hairs anytime I use any dandruff shampoos or steroid lotions....basically I can't touch the brows without them coming off. None of the treatments have worked and its been over a year. I have major flaking in the eyebrows but I also get perifollicular scaling which is scale that is wrapped right around the base of the hair follicles. That scale cannot come off without the hair coming off with it. Its like the scale is attaching the hair to my skin, but barely because the hair is weak and can move up and down easily. I dont know what to do, has anyone out there experienced something like this? My brows itch like crazy. When I come out of the shower I have this whitish paste all over the brows and tzone which I have to rub off each time, and when it dries there is so much flaking in the brows because I dont rub it off there obviously. Any growth I am getting is very fine and thin and my eyebrows are very sparse now. The doctors tell me that seb derm doesnt damage the follicles, but I am not sure about that. If anyone out there can offer some help I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Please check out my ("steigerhome123") post in a folder I created a few days ago called "Sometimes Fungus, Not Bacteria". My actual posting is called "What Worked 100% For Me: Its not what you think." There's a very easy way to completely manage seborrheic dermatitis--I have it too.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 08/24/2013 5:08 pm

White flakey skin in your eyebrows is definitely caused by malassezia. Steigerhome123s write is spot-on and well written.

However, you described hair loss and scale that is wrapped right around the base of the hair follicles. Ive read medical articles that say demodex mites cause this and some call it circular dandruff as a plain English description of what it looks like. In addition, my experience with malassezia is that it doesnt cause hair loss and doesnt stick to the hairs. Its harder to exfoliate the eyebrows because of the hair, but thats all, IMO.

Tea Tree Oil (TTO) is sold in most drug stores, its inexpensive, and demodex resolves much more quickly than malassezia. Trying TTO is a good way to do a differential diagnosis for demodex. Apparently, its best to start at a 10% concentration until your skin adapts to TTO, which probably occurs in a couple days, but youll need to increase the TTO to at least 25%, and optimally to 50%, for the best results. http://bjo.bmj.com/content/89/11/1468.short You have to use it for 4 to 5 weeks because the gestation period for the eggs is about 3 weeks.

The problem is that you have sensitive skin too, so you may want to dissolve the TTO in something like Vaseline or Aquaphor. Plus, TTO can make eyes bloodshot, so you dont want to use a light oil because it will run down over the eyelids and soak through the eyelid skin, which is very thin. You have to heat Aquaphor in a shot glass or a small bowl, like poaching an egg, to 120 F so it liquefies and then blend in the TTO and some Nizoral 2% cream to knock off the malassezia.

MemberMember
(@suffering12)

Posted : 08/25/2013 7:05 am

Thank you all for your replies. Tom, is there a way a doctor can check for demodex? They all just seem to take a quick look and say its seb derm. i am starting to use the nizoral cream but putting anything on the brows causes me a great deal of anxiety as the hairs just pop right off when i just touch them. All the hairs have a piece of scale attached at the end. They are just barely sitiing on the surface of my skin. Last summer, when a doctor told me to use protopic cream twice a day, in one day I lost 38 eyebrow hairs! I am in a lot of despair, dont know what to do.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 08/25/2013 1:16 pm

Doctors never test for any of this. Malassezia and demodex are commensal, which means that they are normally present on all mammals. Some people have an immune response to them although most people don't. I don't react to demodex but I have an awful response to malassezia. My writeup about that is my first post on this forum.

It's better to do your own test, where you treat for a condition that seems likely, to see if your condition changes. It's better than a differential diagnosis by medical guesswork, because you would be adding a specific product, TTO, which is well known to treat demodex. If nothing changes after 2 weeks, then you know demodex wasn't the problem. Be sure to read as much as you can, from medical journals, to stay informed.

I think hair loss is part of a demodex condition, but it's treatable with OTC products, so try TTO and see what happens. Keep an open mind because there could be additional co-existing conditions. As this is probably a problem resulting from the immune system's incomplete response, you want to find a simple daily topical treatment. For example, what would Aloe Vera do for you? What minimum percentage of TTO is effective as a maintenance treatment? Would a sulfur based product have any effect? You won't know until you try. Everyone's immune system is slightly different, so try different products for 2 weeks, and keep a written record. Look for topical treatments, because pills nearly always have side effects..

Lotrimin Ultra (not Lotromin AF) is very effective on malassezia even though it's an off-label use, but the FDA issued a Guidance for clinical trials on malassezia using the active ingredient in Lotrimin Ultra, so there's a good inference that it's effective, which I can confirm from my own experience. I mention this not just for good advice, but to show the kind of research and inferences you will have to make to solve your own condition.

The medical system is designed to deal with trauma, not chronic conditions, so you are better off figuring it out on your own, but please don't think that you can eat some kind of specialized diet that will tinker with your immune system and fix it. IMO that not possible and it's like blaming the victim, which I really dislike on moral grounds.

MemberMember
(@suffering12)

Posted : 08/25/2013 9:32 pm

Thank you so much Tom for taking the time to reply. I also have read that this cylindrical dandruff may be a staph infection. Do you know anything about this? Can a derm do a scraping of the area to check for this? A lot of people ask me why my eyebrows are so red...they are on top of the brows, especially towards the inner half. I am extremely worried that my eyebrows are not going to grow back. How do I know if the follicles are damaged? I am getting a tiny bit of growth but the hairs are very fine now, they are not thick like before. Is this a sign of follicular damage?

MemberMember
(@bcro87)

Posted : 10/08/2014 12:11 pm

Hi guys, please help.

Suffering from the very same symptoms as described above.

Really In need of advice to help combat this miserable condition.

My eyebrows are badly affected, and hair loss is daily wth eyeborw hairs falling out with little balls, flakea stuck to the hair follicles. Also after a shower, or any water contact, the area gets all covered in a white pasty residue.

I've tried steroids, oils, etc. also I can wash the eyebrows because it just leads to more hairs falling out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally lost. Been dealing with this for 4 months and can't find any way to treat.

Thanks so much in advance

MemberMember
(@rafiki19)

Posted : 12/02/2014 3:49 am

Hey there

I have had this for a year and a half and has destroyed my eyebrows. I'm scared to touch them cause they fall out so easily. I lose some around 10 hairs a day. Have you found anything that has worked for you? I am desperately in need of help to cure this!

MemberMember
(@ayylmao97)

Posted : 12/03/2014 12:11 am

hi everyone, I've had seb derm in my eyebrows for almost a year due to initially using rogaine to make them thicker. It basically took a turn for the worst and caused horrible seb derm which I'm dealing with now and hasn't gotten much better. My doctor put me on hydrocortisone 5 percent and it helped in the beginning and lessened the hair loss but now it's came back with a vengeance and it's killing me. Today I lost a total of 9 eyebrow hairs without any effort, I wash my face and they fall out, take a shower, try to apply eyebrow pencil, just anything and they fall out. It's gotten to the point where the ends of my brows are basically bald now and I'm only 16 which is really heartbreaking for me. I mean by the time I'm 18 my eyebrows will be gone probably. Anyways, long story short I just need some help. Anything anyone can suggest is greatly appreciated. I just can't deal with this anymore or go on living like a normal teenager when my eyebrows are falling out everyday. Thanks

MemberMember
(@crossover42092)

Posted : 01/10/2015 8:07 pm

same problem over here.. seb derm on my face causing it to swell and flake. Also super dry on my cheeks and above my forehead. any topical burns my face like hell for the rest of the day especially if i sweat. My eyebrows have began to thin too and they itch like crazy but I'm too afraid to touch them. anyone have a solution?

MemberMember
(@sue111xx)

Posted : 06/03/2015 3:21 am

Hi guys, please help.

Suffering from the very same symptoms as described above.

Really In need of advice to help combat this miserable condition.

My eyebrows are badly affected, and hair loss is daily wth eyeborw hairs falling out with little balls, flakea stuck to the hair follicles. Also after a shower, or any water contact, the area gets all covered in a white pasty residue.

I've tried steroids, oils, etc. also I can wash the eyebrows because it just leads to more hairs falling out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally lost. Been dealing with this for 4 months and can't find any way to treat.

Thanks so much in advance

MemberMember
(@sue111xx)

Posted : 06/03/2015 3:33 am

hi ive suffered from this miserable disease for just over a year it started off as just a small dry irratated patch on my eyebrow and since then has spread to inbetween my brows in my brows over the top of them and also on my eyelids even my nose!

Its extreemly red aswell.. it makes me not want to leave the house as i constantly feel concious about my skin and if people are looking.

I have tryed steroid creams shampoos you name it ive tryed it!

All seem to only have temporary results that make it abit better but a few hours later im back to the dry scaley skin! its also very sore im at breaking point with this disease i dont know what to do anymore, some will say go to a doctor/dermatologist but everytime i do i get fobbed off with the same things ive already tryed most of which THIN the skin and i wouldnt even mind as much if they worked so i cant see the point in my making my skin worse with steroid cream as it has no effect.

Ive done a lot of research on SD and ive found all of us SD sufferers are in the same boat .. everything we get prescribed doesnt work its only temporary but this just wont do as there is no cure for SD! im worried my condition will only just get worse the only cream i can say ive tryed witch i have seen some results but doesnt get rid is Oilatum junior. An eczema based cream with no steroid so you can put on as much as you like without worrying.

i know i have went on and on with this reply but i am at the point where i cant cope anymore its so bad makeup does not cover as its always so dry and flaky makeup cakes on i have barely any social life anymore this disease is taking over and is it fair at age 16 ? when life should be fun ? will i have this forever? i dont know what to do.

MemberMember
(@anthonyrami)

Posted : 12/22/2016 6:32 pm

Update?