Notifications
Clear all

About To Start Accutane!

MemberMember
(@nydude11)

Posted : 08/22/2013 3:58 pm

Hey guys - I am a guy in my late 20's with darker skin and I've had trouble with acne since my teenage years. I've tried everything from antibiotics to topicals, you name it I've tried it. My acne was mild, but lately it is has gotten to be very persistent and cystic. I've had some of my worst pimples in the last few months. Maybe it is stress, who knows!

Anyway - I was just given prescribed Accutane (Absorica to be exact) and I plan to start it after I return from a bachelor party over labor day weekend. I weight ~150 lbs (67 kgs) and the doctor wants me to take 30 mg once a day for a month and then try uping the dosage to 60 mg a day for another 4 months. Do you guys think this will help mitigate an initial breakout?

My biggest questions are what products I should buy to prepare, she suggested both Cetaphil or Purpose Face Wash and Cetaphil moisturizer. What do you guys think is best?

I also plan to load up on Aquaphor and vasoline and also will buy Dove Deep Moisture Nourishing Body Wash for the shower.

Currently I have long hair, but I only shampoo it once a week. Did you guys shampoo more often because your hair was so dry? Any tips here would be awesome as I really don't want to lose anymore hair! I was also thinking about taking Biotin based on what I've read so far.

I likely plan to stop wearing contact lenses, but not at the outset. Any good eyedrops you guys use to reduce dry eyes?

My derm also suggest Vitamin E @ 800 IUs a day. Have you guys seen big benefits from Fish oil or any other supplements?

I also work out a decent amount and take Whey Protein and she said that would be ok.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just a big nervous to start and any help or guidance would be amazing.

thanks in advance!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/22/2013 4:18 pm

Hey good luck on your course. As for a initial breakout 30 mg will help your body slowly adjust to the medicine and should prevent a bad breakout right from the start. Sounds like you got everything else youd need. I never took supplements while on it and I dont have much hair so I cant really help you there. I wouldnt be worried about losing hair though. Thats very rare.I also use Whey and dont have a problem. During your first month at 30 mg the side effects shouldnt be bad at all.

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/22/2013 4:24 pm

Good luck brother! A-Derma brand has alot of good stuff for the skint type you will have when on Accutane.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 08/22/2013 5:20 pm

I used either Cetaphil or CeraVe cleanser and Cetaphil moisturizing cream. I had dry skin pre-Accutane so when it got even drier, I used pure shea butter and it worked awesome for me.

As far as hair goes, it dried my hair out significantly and made my scalp dry and flaky initially. I changed to a sulfate-free shampoo, used an intensive moisturizing conditioner, washed less frequently and added drops of jojoba oil to my conditioner. I also took biotin although I'm not sure if it really helped.

I was able to wear my contacts throughout my entire course with no problems. I only had a couple of days early on when my eyes felt dry. I bought eye drops but didn't need them.

As for lips, I found Vaseline, Aquaphor & Bag Balm to be the best. Keep some kind of lip moisturizer on you at all times. If they start breaking down (i.e., splitting & developing sores), I would suggest hydrocortisone ointment, use as directed on the label.

Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@nydude11)

Posted : 08/22/2013 5:52 pm

Thanks guys!

@CWR24 - Did it matter what time of day / if you took Absorica with food? I've heard it is better than the previous versions.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/22/2013 6:28 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23953888