Notifications
Clear all

Weird Side-Effect - Should I Be Worried?

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/22/2013 4:40 am

Ok I don't know if anyone will be able to help me but I thought I'd ask in any case because I'm getting a little bit concerned.

I think the most likely culprit is Dianette which I've been taking for 7 weeks now but for your information I've also been taking Lymecycline (6 weeks) and Sertraline (6 months).

The issue is that in the past couple of weeks I've noticed the veins on my left arm and my left leg showing up much more obviously than usual under my skin, like you can see really obvious blue lines all down my arm and on bits of my leg. They don't hurt or anything but I've read that Dianette can potentially cause blood clots and am mostly seeking reassurance for my paranoid mind that this isn't a sign of deep vein thrombosis or something nasty like that? Does anyone know what this is and if I should be concerned? Is it likely to be a temporary effect or am I going to be stuck with bright blue veins on the left side of my body for the rest of my life?

Any advice would be massively appreciated!!

MemberMember
(@tim714)

Posted : 08/22/2013 5:32 am

Sorry I can't give you any specific advice but I would definitely suggest seeing your dr as soon as possible. I'd say that would be the most reliable source. I hope it's only temporary, good luck with everything.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/22/2013 5:44 am

Sorry I can't give you any specific advice but I would definitely suggest seeing your dr as soon as possible. I'd say that would be the most reliable source. I hope it's only temporary, good luck with everything.

Thanks Tim smile.png I will definitely be doing that if it doesn't start to improve. I just thought I'd ask if anyone on here had had a similar experience in the meantime because it takes ages to get an appointment for non-emergency.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/22/2013 7:15 am

My boyfriend had a blood clot where his shoulder and arm connect (obviously not from taking birth control :P ), and his veins were showing up in the same fashion. After a few weeks, he started feeling tightness and pressure in his elbow. His arm swelled a little and he got some stretch marks from it, but his clot was large enough to cause that inflammation and blood pooling. He had to go on blood thinners for about a year and couldn't do any physical exercise that would increase his blood pressure. It's really dangerous if the blood clot breaks off and ends up in your lung or heart.

Birth control is known to cause small blood clots which may not create that pain and pressure feeling, so I would definitely go to the doctor to make sure!

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/22/2013 8:17 am

My boyfriend had a blood clot where his shoulder and arm connect (obviously not from taking birth control tongue.png ), and his veins were showing up in the same fashion. After a few weeks, he started feeling tightness and pressure in his elbow. His arm swelled a little and he got some stretch marks from it, but his clot was large enough to cause that inflammation and blood pooling. He had to go on blood thinners for about a year and couldn't do any physical exercise that would increase his blood pressure. It's really dangerous if the blood clot breaks off and ends up in your lung or heart.

Birth control is known to cause small blood clots which may not create that pain and pressure feeling, so I would definitely go to the doctor to make sure!

Thanks for the advice heitea! Bit worried now unsure.png I thought blood clots always caused pain and swelling but obviously I was wrong. I'll try and book a doctor's appointment but I don't want to be wasting their time if it's just me being overly paranoid.

Is it still likely to be a blood clot if the veins are showing up in several different locations? Also do you know if taking my blood pressure would give me any indication of whether there's actually a problem? I have a blood pressure monitor at home and I know what my normal blood pressure is but I don't know what a blood clot would do to your blood pressure. Sorry for all the questions, I realise you probably don't know the answers but I thought I'd ask just in case! I'm getting myself into a right paranoid mess now haha.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/22/2013 9:35 am

My boyfriend had a blood clot where his shoulder and arm connect (obviously not from taking birth control tongue.png ), and his veins were showing up in the same fashion. After a few weeks, he started feeling tightness and pressure in his elbow. His arm swelled a little and he got some stretch marks from it, but his clot was large enough to cause that inflammation and blood pooling. He had to go on blood thinners for about a year and couldn't do any physical exercise that would increase his blood pressure. It's really dangerous if the blood clot breaks off and ends up in your lung or heart.

Thanks for the advice heitea! Bit worried now unsure.png I thought blood clots always caused pain and swelling but obviously I was wrong. I'll try and book a doctor's appointment but I don't want to be wasting their time if it's just me being overly paranoid.

Is it still likely to be a blood clot if the veins are showing up in several different locations? Also do you know if taking my blood pressure would give me any indication of whether there's actually a problem? I have a blood pressure monitor at home and I know what my normal blood pressure is but I don't know what a blood clot would do to your blood pressure. Sorry for all the questions, I realise you probably don't know the answers but I thought I'd ask just in case! I'm getting myself into a right paranoid mess now haha.

haha oh my gosh! I don't want to freak you out!

If they're really small, they won't cause swelling/pain because they won't be blocking the flow of blood enough. The upside to that is that they won't do as much harm if they break off of the walls of your vessels. The downside is that they are less noticeable.

My boyfriend's overall blood pressure did not change significantly, but obviously the blood flow in that particular area was compromised due to the clot. Your monitor probably won't give you any definitive answers. The only way that my boyfriend knew for sure that he had a blood clot was by going to the doctor. They put a dye in his blood and actually watched it go through his arm (it was then blocked by the clot). Very interesting stuff, but scary at the same time!

Anyway, once again, I don't want to freak you out! Your symptoms may also be due to an increase in blood flow (and therefore more blood in your vessels). Are you a pale person? I'm pale and when I work out, I can see pretty much all my veins due to the blood flow increase. Your blood pressure may be up for some reason. Birth control may do that. If you start to get pain in any of the areas that your veins are showing, then you should probably have concern. Otherwise, wait for more drastic symptoms. :)

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/22/2013 9:46 am

If they're really small, they won't cause swelling/pain because they won't be blocking the flow of blood enough. The upside to that is that they won't do as much harm if they break off of the walls of your vessels. The downside is that they are less noticeable.

My boyfriend's overall blood pressure did not change significantly, but obviously the blood flow in that particular area was compromised due to the clot. Your monitor probably won't give you any definitive answers. The only way that my boyfriend knew for sure that he had a blood clot was by going to the doctor. They put a dye in his blood and actually watched it go through his arm (it was then blocked by the clot). Very interesting stuff, but scary at the same time!

Anyway, once again, I don't want to freak you out! Your symptoms may also be due to an increase in blood flow (and therefore more blood in your vessels). Are you a pale person? I'm pale and when I work out, I can see pretty much all my veins due to the blood flow increase. Your blood pressure may be up for some reason. Birth control may do that. If you start to get pain in any of the areas that your veins are showing, then you should probably have concern. Otherwise, wait for more drastic symptoms. smile.png

Thank you so much for replying again heitia that was reassuring! I am wondering if maybe it's something more generalised because it seems to be in quite a few different places and like I say there's no pain in any of them. I am a very pale person so I suppose it could be to do with blood flow increase and I could be worrying myself about absolutely nothing! I might wait for a few days to see if and how it develops. I know I probably should get it checked by a doctor but I really hate seeing doctors so I avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it! :)

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 08/22/2013 11:51 am

Anyway, once again, I don't want to freak you out! Your symptoms may also be due to an increase in blood flow (and therefore more blood in your vessels). Are you a pale person? I'm pale and when I work out, I can see pretty much all my veins due to the blood flow increase. Your blood pressure may be up for some reason. Birth control may do that. If you start to get pain in any of the areas that your veins are showing, then you should probably have concern. Otherwise, wait for more drastic symptoms. smile.png

Thank you so much for replying again heitia that was reassuring! I am wondering if maybe it's something more generalised because it seems to be in quite a few different places and like I say there's no pain in any of them. I am a very pale person so I suppose it could be to do with blood flow increase and I could be worrying myself about absolutely nothing! I might wait for a few days to see if and how it develops. I know I probably should get it checked by a doctor but I really hate seeing doctors so I avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it! smile.png

No problem! :D I hate seeing doctors, too haha. They never seem to reach diagnostic conclusions, just "suggestions," for me. Boooo.. :P Anyway, good luck!

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 08/22/2013 1:13 pm

Moonlit I`m not an expert but if it is DVT, you would probably be experiencing pain and a swelling in one specific area rather than no pain and prominent veins in several places.

I`m fairly pale-skinned and thin and I have quite prominent blue veins in my arms too. I don`t think it is that unusual and the fact that you are experiencing no pain or other side effects indicates that you in all probabilty do not have DVT.

If no further symptoms develop, maybe leave it a few days and if you are still concerned, see your GP then. Try not to worry though, I`m sure you will be fine. :)

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/22/2013 1:30 pm

Moonlit I`m not an expert but if it is DVT, you would probably be experiencing pain and a swelling in one specific area rather than no pain and prominent veins in several places.

I`m fairly pale-skinned and thin and I have quite prominent blue veins in my arms too. I don`t think it is that unusual and the fact that you are experiencing no pain or other side effects indicates that you in all probabilty do not have DVT.

If no further symptoms develop, maybe leave it a few days and if you are still concerned, see your GP then. Try not to worry though, I`m sure you will be fine. smile.png

Thank you GUNNKE that was very reassuring! Those are the symptoms I would expect as well so I think I'm most likely worrying about nothing. It just seemed a bit weird and out of the ordinary to me but in fairness if I wasn't taking the medication I would have thought absolutely nothing of it so for all I know it's happened before and I just haven't noticed it. Could be the heat or something I guess. Think I'm probably reading too much into it! Thanks for the reality check :)

Bodie81 liked