Sebaceous Hyperplas...

Notifications
Clear all

Sebaceous Hyperplasia

MemberMember
(@denise-bg)

Posted : 08/21/2013 3:15 pm

First time posting eusa_think.gif and having trouble navigating the forums so I am starting a new thread. I'm hoping to find current info on my trifecta of skin issues complicated by systemic immune issues.

I am female, 58, and have had mild to moderate acne off and on since I was a young teen. I have been treated over the years with lots of different topical meds and also oral antibiotics.

I have sebaceous hyperplasia ( I'm going to call this SH) that is indeed getting worse as I get older.

I have vitiligo (an autoimmune disorder where my body attacks my pigment cells) which has continued to get worse...especially in the last 10 years.

I have post menopausal acne (in the past it was blamed on puberty, pregnancy, pre menopausal etc. rolleyes.gif )

Obviously, much of my acne has been hormone related.

First question - has anyone found new information on treating SH? I saw a youtube clip about a machine that uses an electric probe to empty the pore of the backed up oil and debris. Has anyone else heard about this machine and it's effectiveness?

Second question - is there anybody out there who has similar skin issues? Make up can only do so much to cover the SH, the acne and the vitiligo! What has helped you?

Third question - is there anyone who has food allergy/leaky gut/autoimmune challenges in addition to skin issues? Have you been able to connect the two. How have you dealt with it?

On a positive note...I have used BP in the past, but not in the same way that this program suggests. I have had incredible results with the acne after only a week!

This is a long post...thanks for taking time to read it.

Sorry about any typos...don't see a spell check button.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/21/2013 5:17 pm

You should talk to member acne2000, who also has SH

Good luck

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 08/22/2013 9:27 am

I can only comment on the SH. Im 38 and have several on my forehead and under my eyes and near my nose. I have extremely oily skin and I fear them getting worse, or growing more, the older I get.

Ive read that Smoothbeam laser is supposed to be a godsend for SH as the way that it works is to attack the sebaceous gland and shrinking them. Unfortunately for me, I had a consulation and they didnt recommend that I have it done because Im too tan, and there is a strong risk over pigmentation marks after your laser sessions. When I took a brief 2 month course of accutane years ago, they disappeared, seemingly overnight. But, as soon as I stopped, they came back.

My derm also recommended that they can be cauterized from your skin, leaving a skin that will fade over time. She didn, however, say this was only a temporary solution as they will come back over time, but some people have achieved remission for years after the cauterization.

I hate washing my fash and feeling all of the bumps and my soapy hands glide over my face. This, along w/ active acne, is the bane of my existance.

Good luck w/ searching for an answer that works for you.

MemberMember
(@denise-bg)

Posted : 08/22/2013 11:39 am

Thanks Goodz, I will get the name of the machine to post here...I don't believe it uses laser just heat and electricity.

Oddly, the BP is helping my SH a little too. Still there of course, but seem to be not quite as raised as before.

MemberMember
(@mbbento)

Posted : 08/22/2013 5:37 pm

I have heard that a low dose, long term course of accutane is effective for managing HP. Wish I had better advice to give you.

MemberMember
(@sgreenta)

Posted : 08/23/2013 1:27 am

Your skin can get better!I am over 40 with new onset rosacea, acne and SH. I started on the regimen in June and three supplements: a probiotic called culturelle, fish oil and prescription called nicomide in July. After some coaching from Brandy (who is awesome), I stopped wearing cover up, and learned how to follow the regimen RELIGIOUSLY, including the AHA 3x per week. Try this and do not deviate. At first your skin will get worse. Mine did. The good news is that my face started really clearing up in early August. It is almost perfect...except for mild lingering redness and the SH on my forehead and nose. The whole program seems to have minimized the SH, but it is still there, so my derm said that after summer, he will remove them with a hyfrecator. He said that this tool or Co2 laser is the only way to permanently get rid of them. The reason for waiting is that sun can cause hyperpigmentation. I hope this is helpful to you.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 08/24/2013 7:54 pm

I hadnt heard of seborrheic hyperplasia (SH) before, but photos of it looks just like the red bump phase of my seborrheic dermatitis (SD), except my skin bumps are red, and SH skin bumps look less inflamed and have a little dell or depression in the middle.

SD results from malassezia interacting with oil from produced by sebaceous glands because the yeast must have oil to survive. It is lipid-dependent. The results are red skin bumps (as well as white flaking skin), but the concept that malassezia yeast could block the sebaceous glands and cause SH seems logical to me. Actually it seems glaringly obvious to me but there is very little medical research on SH so all I can offer is a reasonable inference.

Since the medical profession currently offers very little for treatment of SH, why dont you try an antifungal like OTC Lotrimin Ultra (not Lotrimin AF) twice a day and see if you notice any change. It may take 3 or 4 months to push past the biofilm the makes up the skin bump, but you have nothing to lose from trying.

MemberMember
(@denise-bg)

Posted : 09/04/2013 4:34 pm

Thanks to all of you for the help,

Denise