Notifications
Clear all

Ascorbic Acid Is Not Vitamin C

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 08/21/2013 2:06 am

I've been very naive in regards to a certain supplement being readily ingested by people looking to boost their immune system. I've been a huge proponent of getting vitamin C from a raw food source for some time. And when that isn't possible, using a raw food derived form of vitamin C that contains the full spectrum of the powerful immune defense booster

However i've been adding a powdered form of ascorbic acid to smoothies lately, despite the fact that it isn't the full spectrum C. And i'm finally waking up to what this substance is actually doing and what it is actually derived from

It is killing good bacteria in the gut, because it can't differentiate the good from the bad. It is also derived from corn, which as we know is one of the most heavily GMO'd crops on the market today. And that orange juice you're drinking...? It was pasteurized, which breaks down the naturally occurring vitamin C.

Basically...if you're looking to supplement with vitamin C, use raw food sources or a supplement using food derived vitamin C like Mega Food or Vitamin Code Raw Vitamins, (or any other brand you're aware of)

http://www.naturalnews.com/040147_vitamin_c_ascorbic_acid_synthetic_vitamins.html

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 08/21/2013 8:12 pm

Another great article discussing how the public has been brainwashed into believing they are getting their vitamins from the synthetic versions offered in stores/online.

Vitamins are not individual molecular compounds. Vitamins are biological complexes. They are multi-step biochemical interactions whose action is dependent upon a number of variables within the biological terrain. Vitamin activity only takes place when all conditions are met within that environment, and when all co-factors and components of the entire vitamin complex are present and working together. Vitamin activity is even more than the sum of all those parts; it also involves timing.

Vitamins cannot be isolated from their complexes and still perform their specific life functions within the cells. When isolated into artificial commercial forms, like ascorbic acid, these purified synthetics act as drugs in the body. They are no longer vitamins, and to call them such is inaccurate.

A vitamin is

a working process consisting of the nutrient, enzymes, coenzymes, antioxidants, and trace minerals activators.

- Royal Lee What Is a Vitamin? Applied Trophology Aug 1956

Amazing as it may sound if youre hearing this for the first time, vitamins are more than the synthetic fractions we are commonly taught they are. The ascorbic acid you buy at the grocery store every few weeks, thinking you are buying Vitamin C, is just a chemical copy of naturally occurring ascorbic acid, which itself is still only a fraction of the actual Vitamin C. Real vitamin C is part of something living, and as such, can impart life. Your synthetic, fractionated chemical ascorbic acid never grew in the ground, never saw the light of day, never was alive or part of anything alive. Its a chemical, a cornstarch derivative, a sulfuric acid by-product. In your body its just another drug. Synthetic vitamins have toxic effects from mega-doses and actually can increase the white blood cell count. Vitamins are only necessary in minute quantities on a daily basis. Whole food vitamins, by contrast, are not toxic since the vitamin is complexed in its integral working form, and requires nothing from the body, and triggers no immune response.

http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/vitaminc/ascorbic-acid-is-not-vitamin-c/

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 08/21/2013 10:39 pm

I bought into this for a while, read the exact same articles even. But then I found just as many people saying this was all bullshit. So I continue to take my ascorbic acid, and it continues to help my skin. I guess I decided a few tablespoons of ascorbic acid powder derived from GMO corn a day wasn't a big deal compared to the restaurant food I eat on a fairly regular basis.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 08/22/2013 2:10 am

The people that are going to be calling this BS are those looking to keep their supplements in demand. And those looking to keep the public ill. Or those that simply don't want to believe it. True health and healing has been smeared by those who practice it by Big Pharma and those affiliated with them for years. Not to mention Big Agg, as they profit from lack of public awareness regarding the foods being consumed as well. And they use shady devices to persuade public opinion. Monsanto, for instance, has been caught using fake emails/falsified 'independent' studies with the sole means of misleading the public.

I'm not sure it's something that you buy into Exister. I believe it's more of a biological fact in regards to what a complete vitamin truly consists of as it's found in nature, and i'm not trying to be a dick in any way. It's just that the public has been lead to believe that vitamins are a single isolated substance instead of a complex system of enzymes, co-factors, etc.

Ascorbic acid is touted for it's anti-bacterial properties, so i don't doubt it's helped your acne. But it's simply the outer layer of vitamin C, and it was created in a lab from corn. I want to be using the full spectrum of the vitamin, that way i'm putting less stress on my body to fill in the remaining portions of the vitamins, which ensure quality absorption and utilization. And i'd agree that there are worse things you can be doing to your body, but i'm all about consuming vitamins/foods the way they are found in nature, instead of a synthetic, partial version created in a lab by corrupt men

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 08/22/2013 12:34 pm

i'm all about consuming vitamins/foods the way they are found in nature, instead of a synthetic, partial version created in a lab by corrupt men

That's a little extreme. Ascorbic Acid is simply the best/easiest way they have of synthetically producing vitamin C right now. They're filling a demand, they're not corrupt. I read a few articles about how Ascorbic Acid actually is straight up Vitamin C and all that stuff about it being made up of many factors is just bologna. I don't know what to believe though.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/22/2013 11:02 pm

I've had the same suspicions and switched to ester-C. However, the Vitamin C ascorbic acid supplement I used seemed to help my skin more (with radiance, and just looking healthier in general). I checked the label and it's gluten/dairy/coloring/preservative-free etc, but doesn't mention corn, so you are right about the origins of ascorbic acid. Ester-C seems to be more alkaline, so it might be better to take your C in this form to avoid too much acidity. I might alternate between the 2 to minimize the acidity, although ester-c supplements usually contain other citrus too, so they are not suitable for people with a citrus sensitivity.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 08/23/2013 3:06 am

i'm all about consuming vitamins/foods the way they are found in nature, instead of a synthetic, partial version created in a lab by corrupt men

That's a little extreme. Ascorbic Acid is simply the best/easiest way they have of synthetically producing vitamin C right now. They're filling a demand, they're not corrupt. I read a few articles about how Ascorbic Acid actually is straight up Vitamin C and all that stuff about it being made up of many factors is just bologna. I don't know what to believe though.

I hear you, but Mcdonalds is also filling a demand. Doesn't necessarily make it a healthy option, and the CEOs know exactly what's in that 'food'. I know that sounds extreme, but keep in mind that pharmaceutical companies own a large majority of these supplements. They're goal in that position is to keep people in the dark when it comes to optimal health. And they make way more money from prescribing drugs than they do vitamins. These aren't the caring doctors you see in hospitals, or factory workers just doing their job packaging drugs/vitamins. These are people with the power to help the public become more aware of the importance of true nutrition/genuine healing, and even practice those methods in medical centers.

However men in this position are corrupt, and their only goal is to continue to increase revenue. And they do this with little to no regard for those people in need of genuine healing. In fact they go out of their way by creating a word 'quack' and creating a site called 'quack watch' to sway public opinion into believing natural therapies are a joke to be laughed at. When the reality is, these are the therapies curing cancer, preventing/reversing heart disease, and providing true healing that drugs addressing symptoms/causing untold side-effects cannot do. They will not adopt these methods because they are not profitable, and the best way to eliminate the competition is to make the competition into a joke

MemberMember
(@iconzz)

Posted : 08/23/2013 9:47 am

I've been very naive in regards to a certain supplement being readily ingested by people looking to boost their immune system. I've been a huge proponent of getting vitamin C from a raw food source for some time. And when that isn't possible, using a raw food derived form of vitamin C that contains the full spectrum of the powerful immune defense booster

However i've been adding a powdered form of ascorbic acid to smoothies lately, despite the fact that it isn't the full spectrum C. And i'm finally waking up to what this substance is actually doing and what it is actually derived from

It is killing good bacteria in the gut, because it can't differentiate the good from the bad. It is also derived from corn, which as we know is one of the most heavily GMO'd crops on the market today. And that orange juice you're drinking...? It was pasteurized, which breaks down the naturally occurring vitamin C.

Basically...if you're looking to supplement with vitamin C, use raw food sources or a supplement using food derived vitamin C like Mega Food or Vitamin Code Raw Vitamins, (or any other brand you're aware of)

http://www.naturalnews.com/040147_vitamin_c_ascorbic_acid_synthetic_vitamins.html

yea .. nic post.. could you help me how to boost collagen production for ma scars naturally with no topicals or supplements... i thot protein rich and vitamin rich doet would help.. but not sure... any idea//?

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/23/2013 7:39 pm

I take Nature Made chewable Vitamin C and notice a huge difference in my skin when I don't take it. How can I tell if it's food derived? I'm sort of guessing it's not.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 08/24/2013 8:40 am

I take Nature Made chewable Vitamin C and notice a huge difference in my skin when I don't take it. How can I tell if it's food derived? I'm sort of guessing it's not.

That'll be ascorbic acid. There are only a few brands out there offering vitamins derived from whole food sources. A good quality vitamin C from Mega Food will set you back around $24. So it's more expensive, but you get what you pay for

MemberMember
(@gouldbergvariations)

Posted : 08/30/2013 1:35 am

Vitamin c is ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid and ascorbic acid alone is responsible for the immune and collagen effects in the body attribute to vitamin c. The vitamin c spectrum or complex is just a ploy by naturopaths to sell their respective products for a much higher price. There is no scientific evidence that such a thing actually exists. ( vitamin c complex). You take ascorbic acid and you will receive all the benefits ( antioxidant role, collagen producing role, immune enhancing effects) , the added fillers from the " natural vitamin c" are seperate from the effects associated with ascorbic acid and are not needed.

The notion that high doses of vitamin c kills friendly flora is mostly speculative as there isn't really any proof of this specific effects. This is possible if you are surpassing bowel tolerance limit as the excess vitamin c reaches th colon which produces a laxative effect. Optimal intake is taking mouth vitamin c to achieve bowel tolerance limit and then reducing the dosage a gram or so. This effect can be bypassed by taking liposomal vitamin c products , as it offers almost 100% absorption from the small intestine. In some cases better than intravenous because it requires no energy input for cellular transport.

All of these " natural" vitamin c products basically contain ascorbic acid ( many using made in china brands) and an extra filler which gives you the " natural vitamin c complex"....Animals and humans use ascorbic acid, and dehydroascorbic acid for physiological functions . Almost all animal species , except for humans and a few other mammals synthesize their own vitamin c from glucose endogenously in their livers and or kidneys depending on the species. ALL of the scientific research done on the effects of vitamin c on a wide range of diseases uses ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate if intravenous not natural vitamin c complex... whatever this is...

Vitamin c is non toxic, generally considered safer than water. There have been routine administrations of 250 grams daily intravenously with no adverse side effects for cancer, some researches using almost 400 grams a day... directly into the vein with no known serious side effects. Dr Frederick klenner used intravenous vitamin c for a wide range of diseases , including polio which he cured 61/61 patients. This was actually published in the American medical journal 50 years ago and was overlooked.

You can see his paper details here

[Removed]

See also Dr. Cathcarts titration to bowel tolerance limit paper. He had 9000 patients at his clinic where he used high dose vitamin c orally and intravenously for many diseases.

For more information on vitamin c

See Thomas Levy's vitamin c infectious diseases and toxins , where is compiles over. thousand scientific research articles on vitamin c in relation to many different diseases, also see his primal panacea book.

A free book online by Irwin stone, a biochemist that came after Gyorgi and pioneered some vitamin c research, stating that virtually all humans are suffering from hypoascorbemia because of the genetic mutation which caused us to lose the enzyme gulanolactonate which converts glucose to ascorbic acid in majority of all animal species.

Dr. Steve Hickey and hilary Roberts have also written a few books on vitamin c and their research associated with it.

And finally see Linus Pauling and ewan Cameron's research

If you are curious about this Natural vitamin c complex, see the vitamincfoundation article on it.

http://vitamincfoundation.org/NaturalC.htm

I just want to add that I have megadoses ascorbic acid powder crystals for 4 years, and also taken liposomal livon labs vitamin c pakets about 2 a day for 3 years. Also have recently been making my own liposomal c with soy lecithin granules, powdered ascorbic acid and an ultrasonic cleaner.

If you are looking for a good preparation of oral vitamin c, take Natural factors ASCORBIC ACID crystals. They are corn free and contain pure vitamin c only, no fillers no preservatives , just the nutrient you want. Natural factors is a good brand.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 09/01/2013 12:09 am

^

GouldbergVariations, thank you for your response, honestly. Especially the part regarding ascorbic acid being available without the use of GMO corn. I have been a huge supporter of intravenous vitamin C for cancer patients for some years now, as it is injected directly into the bloodstream, and your words regarding "pure" ascorbic acid are only reassuring. I am not on this site to boost my own ego/agenda. I am on this site to spark pro-acitve discussion regarding organic ways of dealing with health issues that most people are unaware of. I love the fact that you have now re-opened my eyes in regard to ascorbic acid. Especially the part about how it doesn't have to be GMO.

I have stated in previous posts that the corruption reaches both sides: Those seeking to take advantage of the naive, and those seeking to take advantage of the health conscious. I honestly desire no attention in these posts that i make, and i cannot stress that more. Posts like GoldbergVariations are the reason i love acne.org: We are free to get to the bottom of every issue, truthfully, and objectively. I will only post articles that i feel are seeking to spread the truth, and if someone else comes along and calls them false...i encourage it. There is so much deception in the world today, that we only have each other to fall back on.

All that to say, as GoldbergVariations has shown, be careful where you get your ascorbic acid from. We're all aware of the dangers of GMOs, so keep that in mind when purchasing a Vitamin C product. GoldbergVariations if you have anything else to add please do so

MemberMember
(@gouldbergvariations)

Posted : 09/01/2013 2:52 pm

I agree with your post I am just a diehard advocate of megadosing vitamin c. It is a shame that we do not live in a world where such information, and non gmo products are more accessible to the people. Its disgusting to think that some fatal or chronic diseases which has been shown to be effectively treatable with high intravenous vitamin c is overlooked by hospitals and conventional medicine. Corporations are willing to let people die and suffer rather than lose profit. Absolutely sickening.

vitamincfoundation does sell their own vitamin c which is china and gmo free, it's a little more expensive but I stick to my natural factors brands. There is no corn , starch or any other antigens. It's pure vitamin c crystal, the ascorbic acid molecular compound. On a side note any potential toxic, or DNA harming damage is potentially mitigated by proper vitamin c dosage. Vitamin c dosage amount in all diseases is important. If you are sick and are taking a few grams it will do almost nothing at effectively treating the problem. "water on fire analogly" . Oxidative stress needs to be neutralized by a proper amount of electrons donated from antioxidants.

Take a look at this article which reaffirms the effectiveness of Ascorbic acid for neutralizing oxidative damage caused by radiation or toxins, it's about the fukishima radiation exposure to works and intravenous vitamin c. There are many other studies proving its efficacy.

[Removed]

This is why I advocate continuos (hourly) doses of vitamin c to neutralize the bombardment of cells and DNA by oxidative stress in the modern world. Not only for e wide ranges of diseases which are caused by oxidative stress, but also for collagen production, and significant enhancements of multiple immune factors.

So for anyone reading, I encourage you to do your own research and take the fairly cheap preventative precautions . Vitamin c is the most important and effective vitamin that you can take to enhance your health. The effects have been shown in thousands of research articles , and by pioneers such as Dr klenner, Dr Cathcart , Dr Levy, Linus pauling, Irwin stone and Albert Gyorgi ( the discoverer of vitamin c).

For optimum dosage follow Cathcarts bowel tolerance limit protocol.

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)
MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 09/01/2013 8:48 pm

Do you think the amount of GMO corn (and gluten and gelatin) in Ascorbic Acid pills would be significant? I mean, I know it'd be good to avoid it if possible, but if it costs twice as much... I can't imagine two or three tic-tac-sized pills a day providing more GMO corn, gluten, etc. than a restaurant burger and fries once a week, you know? Any thoughts on that, Gouldberg?

I've been taking Swanson Ascorbic Acid Powder but it's running low so I just ordered Ester C veggie tablets. I like the idea of powder for absorption and it's cheaper, but I am sick of having to stir it into a glass and use a straw. I am also concerned about its effects on my teeth. Ester C has a powder too but I thought I'd try the tablets first. I went veggie to avoid the gelatin, even though it's a few bucks more and I found some info saying gelatin is actually good for you.

This is what I ordered, how does it look? http://www.iherb.com/American-Health-Ester-C-with-Citrus-Bioflavonoids-500-mg-450-Veggie-Tabs/13854

MemberMember
(@gouldbergvariations)

Posted : 09/01/2013 10:50 pm

The most effective preparation is ascorbic acid, and sodium ascorbate for intravenous.

Here is the standpoint of vitamincfoundation on ester c

[Removed]

If you are concerned with the effects of ascorbic acid on your teeth then use a straw or buffer your ascorbic Acid with baking soda ( sodium bicarbonate) . The corrct ratio is 2:1 for ascorbic acid: sodium bicarbonate , but you do ot need to fully buffer it to see the reduction in acidity. This would be the same as sodium ascorbate. Vitamin c is a weak acid when compared to to stomach hydrochloric acid.

I am not sure what effects GMO even in tiny amounts would have , but there is obviously alot of controversy about GMO and there is so many gmo products floating around and being eaten by millions of people . What would the long term effects of gmo consumption be? Maybe increased susceptibility to certain cancers , maybe some other chronic illnesses, maybe nothing. But you can be certain that high dose vitamin c will mitigate some of the \ maybe all (depending on dosage and different prepartions of vitamin c you take)DNA damage possibly caused by gmo consumption.

Furthermore, if you have pure ascorbic acid crystals... 100% ... this is what is in it. It doesn't matter what the source is because it is being urified into pure ascorbic acid and has a certain molecular structure. This structure is no different than ascorbic acid derived from another plant... they have the same molecular structure...c6h8o6 ... meaning that there are 6 carbon atoms, 8 hydrogen atoms and 6 oxygen atoms.

The vitamin c I take contains no corn , starch or any traces of other by products. It's just pure ascorbic acid crystals, and it costs 18 dollars canadian for 250 grams. If I take 20 grams a day , that's about 12 days( 18 dollars)... not expensive when you are considering the benefits to your health.

I usually fill up a water bottle with ascorbic acid and take swigs throughout the day consistently, in the morning I will take a larger dose and take a liposomal C packet. I will do the same at night . I have been megadosing vitamin c for 4 years. I started with tablets, switched to making my own capsules and now the powder is the best and most potent oral form you can take. You can't go wrong with ascorbic acid crystals. I even switched to brushing my teeth with sodium ascorbate because I prefer not using sodium fluoride.

My daily vitamin intake includes around 20 grams of ascorbic acid, and 2 packets of liposomal vitamin c. I also make my own liposomal C and take it added to the others as well. If I do feel I am getting sick, I will immediately increase my dosage to around 8 grams every 20 minutes until bowel tolerance limitis achieved. I also recommend looking into taking 8-10000 iu of vitamin d3 daily.