Notifications
Clear all

Clindamycin + Tretinoin Perscription, Substitute For Clindamycin?

MemberMember
(@dannyamar)

Posted : 08/21/2013 1:31 am

I recently saw a new Dermatologist and he prescribed me Clindamycin in the morning, and Tretinoin Cream 0.025% in the evening.

Since starting the Tretinoin treatment, I've suddenly began breaking out more (I assumed this would happen) I'm now up to around 30+ pimples and noticeable red marks. (Immediately before the treatment I was getting up to around 15, so it roughly doubled.) I'm not flaking much, the aloe vera gel I've been using as a moisturizer seems to be working fine. But I feel as if the Clindamycin isn't working anymore. I was prescribed it a while ago by my first Derm and used it for several months or even up to a year, I feel like I could have built a resistance to it. Before I started the Tretinoin, I used ONLY Clindamycin for about 2 weeks, morning and night, trying to clear my zits before I began the tretinoin cream, hoping maybe it would help with the initial purging, but I felt like it wasn't doing anything so I just began with the Tretinoin.

Onto my question, since it may not be effective anymore, is there something ELSE I can put on in the morning to help fight acne throughout the day that wouldn't be too irritating for my skin? Are there other combinations of cream with Tretinoin that Derms prescribe? I have a bottle of Epiduo I was thinking of trying to use in the morning, or maybe just some tea tree oil mixed in with my aloe vera gel, or just some regular over the counter BP cream? Thoughts?

I'm on week 2 of Tretinoin and have been using it every night this week with no excessive peeling thus far.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 02/27/2014 12:42 am

Some people using this combination of topicals wash with a BP wash one or twice a week, because it supposedly sort of 'resets' the resistances that have been created, and increases the effectiveness of the clindamycin.