If Epiduo Does Not ...

Notifications
Clear all

If Epiduo Does Not Work, Does That Mean Regimen Won't Work Either?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 08/21/2013 12:02 am

I saw a derm and was prescribed epiduo which is 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and 0.1% adapalene. I have cystic acne in my jawline and in my forehead. I put this cream on my jawline and been using it for a few weeks already. Before i used it, i had about 5 cystic pimples in that area and now, its cystic pimples galore. I felt like the epiduo has damaged my jawline completely. But im still using it because i read ppl say it takes months to get better but the amount of cystic pimples in that area has me very worried. If i quit epiduo, does that mean i shouldn't even bother with the regimen as the regimen is benzoyl peroxide?

I read ppl mention how dan's benzoyl peroxide didn't work well for them but epiduo did. Someone else mention dan benzoyl peroxide work for them and now they decide to use epiduo and it works for them as well.

Should i bother with dan's regimen if epiduo doesn't work and has made my skin worst? I never had this much cystic acne before using epiduo.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/21/2013 12:14 am

I would say the regimen is still worth trying.

I never used epiduo but I used other benzoyl peroxide over the counter treatments and prescriptions (like duac) and they didn't clear my skin. I really think the thing that makes the regimen work is how you use BP and that you do use a lot of it. My skin is close to clear now that I'm using the regimen - and the BP I'm using is a store bought one that I didn't have much success with the first time I used it (not following the regimen).

The fact that you build up to using quite a lot of BP and that you use it twice a day I think really makes a difference to how effective BP is. Before when I'd used BP, it was usually not much more than a finger tips length of BP and only in the morning - and that helped a little but not to the extent that following the regimen has.

But you seem to be still early on in using epiduo. Did your derm give you a guide of when to expect improvements? Waiting / trying something for at least 3 months is a good idea to see if it's working for you. It could be that your skin is going through an initial breakout. Sometimes things do need to get worse before they get better! So stick with the epiduo for a while longer to really give it a shot at working and if it doesn't work out or you're not happy with it, then the acne.org regimen would still be worth trying :)

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 08/21/2013 12:45 am

Derm said to wash face wait some time and then apply the epiduo. Sometimes after applying it i would put the moisturizer. Im not even 100 percent sure if im doing it right b/c some ppl say they put moisturizer others say they dont. So i dont even know.

The thing is the epiduo has my my jawline area very bad. I had about 5 cystic pimples in that area and now its 5 times that amount there and the skin is red and very irritated. Im not even sure but is the irritation the initial breakout or purging?

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 08/21/2013 1:20 pm

You've only been using Epiduo a few weeks, not near enough time to see results with anything. If you are going to go with Epiduo, follow your doctor's instructions with it and give it time to do what it's supposed to do.

If you are unhappy with the results you get from Epiduo, that doesn't necessarily mean that The Regimen won't work. Many people come to The Regimen after various prescriptions didn't give the results they wanted, and if used as directed The Regimen works well for most cases of acne.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 08/21/2013 1:55 pm

I been using it close to 1 month already. I had 5 cystic pimples in my jawline and now have 5 times that amount. My acne in my jawline went from severe to very severe now. Not only that, my jawline is very red and irritated. Im worried that if i continue to use it longer, it will make it much worser. I know about initial breakout, but i feel like this is something else since my skin is really red and irritated. From a distance it looks like i have roseaau along with they cystic pimples.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 08/21/2013 4:56 pm

Has anyone here used epiduo and it didn't work for them and made their skin worst and then used the regimen and that worked? This is what i really want to know. Im going to give it about a few more weeks with epiduo and if it is still like this, im going to go with the regimen.