Notifications
Clear all

Acne Scarring

MemberMember
(@yourstrulyashleigh)

Posted : 08/20/2013 5:59 am

Hello everyone,

After looking at various pictures of different people's acne scars, I began wondering how long a person typically has to suffer from acne before they begin to see scarring.

I have suffered from acne on and off for about 4 years but it's gotten drastically worse in the last year. I've begun to notice that hyper pigmentation marks don't seem to vanish nearly as quick anymore. I've also discovered my first marks that resemble little prickly dents in my face. I realize that "prickly dents" is not the correct term to refer to these notorious acne marks so feel free to correct me on that. rolleyes.gif

I've also noticed that my acne seems to have migrated from my jawline (& especially mouth area) down to my neck region. What's up with that??

Anyway, my main question is: How long did you typically suffer from acne until you began to notice the initial scarring set in?

Any information is very much appreciated!wub.png

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/20/2013 7:22 am

In terms of scarring, how long someone has acne is not as important as the severity and type of acne they have.

Patients with moderate and severe inflammatory/nodulocystic acne are at increased risk of scarring, as are those with more deeply pigmented skin.

In such patients, aggressive and early treatment is warranted to prevent scarring and post-inflammatory changes and to minimise the long-term physical and psychological impact of acne.

Good luck

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 08/20/2013 7:25 am

If your acne is scarring you need to get clear with aggressive treatments like accutane

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/20/2013 1:42 pm

Topic moved to Scar/red mark treatment forum. Please read the forum headings and descriptions before posting. Thanks!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/21/2013 7:34 pm

It really depends on your skin type. I had moderate acne for about 7 years, and still get the ocassional inflammed cyst every now and then. I have almost NO scarring from acne (a few from football and baseball though LOL).

I think people with dry skin tend to scar easier than others as the lack of moisture hurts the healing process. It also depends on whether or not you are a fast healer too; my skin tends to clot fast and heal noticeable faster than my sister for whatever reason. It's just a genetic things; some people's skin cells multiply and shed faster than others. This is not necessarily good as it leads to large pores, clogged pores, oily skin, and other issues.

I think Accutane users have slower skin repair as a side effect. I've read this on many forums, and I've even seen medical documentation for it. I'm pretty sure it's from the fact that Accutane hinders your sebaceous glands from producing oil, and this somehow affects the rate and completeness of healing. This also coincides with what I said before about dry skinned people being more prone to scarring.

MemberMember
(@yourstrulyashleigh)

Posted : 08/21/2013 7:46 pm

CBIOT,

I found your response to be very informative. Thank you!

It really depends on your skin type. I had moderate acne for about 7 years, and still get the ocassional inflammed cyst every now and then. I have almost NO scarring from acne (a few from football and baseball though LOL).

I think people with dry skin tend to scar easier than others as the lack of moisture hurts the healing process. It also depends on whether or not you are a fast healer too; my skin tends to clot fast and heal noticeable faster than my sister for whatever reason. It's just a genetic things; some people's skin cells multiply and shed faster than others. This is not necessarily good as it leads to large pores, clogged pores, oily skin, and other issues.

I think Accutane users have slower skin repair as a side effect. I've read this on many forums, and I've even seen medical documentation for it. I'm pretty sure it's from the fact that Accutane hinders your sebaceous glands from producing oil, and this somehow affects the rate and completeness of healing. This also coincides with what I said before about dry skinned people being more prone to scarring.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/21/2013 9:04 pm

CBIOT,

I found your response to be very informative. Thank you!

Absolutely. I really think scarring can vary greatly depending on the person.

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 08/21/2013 9:46 pm

Yeah, like others have said, some people are prone to scarring and some seem immune, and of course, deep cysts have a higher chance of scarring. But one thing we can control to help prevent scarring is never pick and never pop.

MemberMember
(@littlemisscatie)

Posted : 09/01/2013 9:45 am

Youve probaly heard this a million times but it all depends on the person. I also am going through the terriable phase of acne scars and even the derm said they'd be permanet but my skin heals fairly fast. I drink an obbessive amount of water each day and night and take a little gummy vitamin. Just some tips, thanks