Notifications
Clear all

Oil Oil Oil

MemberMember
(@ciaraki13)

Posted : 08/20/2013 5:24 am

I know this has probably been asked 10,000,000 times. Does anyone know any skincare and make up routine for OIL SPILLAGE skin that will work? I live in the UK, which recently banned Milk of Magnesia from being sold, on the very day i was going to the chemist to buy it for use as a face primer. Undeterred, I got it shipped from New York. I had read great reviews on it and was very excited at the prospect of something being able to minimise ALL THE GREASE. It didn't work. Well for about 5 minutes skin was matte, then the oil spillage began. I have started using Cetaphil antibacterial soap bar (again shipped from the US) and I'm only on my second day of use, so can't comment on how effective it is. For my acne, I was given Differin gel and tetracycline tablets, which my dermatologist assured me would dry out my skin a lot. I have had no drying at all!!! Oil is still pumping!!!!! Acne very slightly improving. Previously I had roaccutane, but dermatologist said acne wasn't severe enough to warrant a repeat course :(

After 20 mins, I look like a clown in whatever makeup i wear. It makes me feel horrendous. If i apply powder, it cakes over oil etc. I have tried quite a few makeup brands: Make up Forever, Hourglass, Smashbox (photo finish primer was a waste of £), MAC, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Elizabeth Arden. My skin looks horrible wihout makeup, but I'm thinking it's the only option as I look even more disgusting with a greasy mess of sliding makeup over my acne. Anyone any ideas? I'm so down about this. I'm 28 and have had acne and super oily skin since I was 10

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/20/2013 6:23 am

I don't know if it will work for you because obviously everybody's skin is different but I've had massive problems with oily skin for years and years and could find nothing that would reduce my shiny appearance even slightly until I came across Garnier's Long-Lasting Shine Control Moisturiser. It takes a good few weeks to see the full effect but after using it every day for 3-4 weeks the oil on my face was massively reduced and it didn't look shiny under make-up for a good 8 hours which was a huge improvement for me because before my make-up would be starting to slide around after a couple of hours. Like I say, it might not work for everyone, but for me it was an absolute godsend!

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 08/20/2013 8:07 am

I've been using the Garnier BB cream for oil-combo skin and while it doesnt keep me matte for longer than an hour (my skin is insanely oily too) it does stay in place all day long, no matter how shiny i get. I dont use powder over it either. If you want a really full coverage Vichy Dermablend foundation stays in place all day too.

Also, have you tried blotting sheets? The best once ive used are the powdered ones you get in Superdrug, those ones tend not to remove any makeup when you use them properly.

Apparently jojoba oil can trick your skin into not producing so much oil because it is so similair to sebum (human skin oil). I'm pretty skeptical abotu that theory but I just got some today so ill be using it every night, ill update any progress on my Regimen log :)

Also, differin kind of sucks - if its working for you stay on it but if youre not seeing any progress dont waste any more time with it - theres something you can get on presciption in the UK called Isotrex gel - its basically a topical version of roaccutane, and its supposed to slow down oil production (not sure if it really does though). Its similair to differin but a lot stronger, but if youre having no issues with dryness on differin you could probably do with something stronger.

Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@ciaraki13)

Posted : 08/20/2013 8:53 am

Thank you both sooo much!!!! I really appreciate the replies. MoonLit River, I am going to try Garnier's Long-Lasting Shine Control Moisturiser, I have nothing to lose. Ramsaymac, I'll try those Superdrug blotting sheets too, it's worth a shot. I did try MAC blotting sheets which were rubbish, they just became saturated. Have any of you heard of taking saw palmetto? I think it's for men for BPH but is an anti androgen. My dermatologist told me to get my free androgens tested so maybe something in that.

MemberMember
(@the-effendi)

Posted : 08/29/2013 12:48 am

For me the difference came when I stopped trying to dry my skin out. The more you dry it the more it will pump out oil like there's no tomorrow. I was gentle and kept it hydrated, drank lots of water, and took a break from makeup for a little to let my skin "breathe", so to speak. Total turn around. Love my skin now. And now whenever I do wear makeup it lays on nicely and evenly and STAYS that way. And oil blotting sheets are awesomeness too; I have clean&clear's and Paula's Choice ones for here and there ( Not a million times a day like before!)

My 2 cents. Hope you find something to help! :)