Notifications
Clear all

Carbs/sugars Cause My Acne, When In Ketosis Low Carb/high Fat I Have No Acne At All - Insulin Response

MemberMember
(@chrissy-cambell)

Posted : 08/19/2013 9:04 am

Hey guys,

Last year I did a keto diet and my skin was the clearest it has ever been, no acne at anytime on the diet, not even a whitehead pimple.

However I ended up skiinny as a rake, very weak, cold all the time and one day after the gym I went hypo, passed out and turns out my blood sugars crashed because I was so carb depleted!

So I can only assume that my acne is caused by INSULIN, now what can I do to continue to eat carbs and reduce the insulin response, is there any supplements out there?

My acne is bad but I cannot do another ketogenic diet, my skin loves it, everything else hates it.

MemberMember
(@nikkimixam)

Posted : 08/24/2013 11:36 pm

I'm curious about this as well. Have you tried just eating a low amount of carbs postworkout? For example, half a sweet potato?

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 08/25/2013 5:22 pm

youre just like me. when i was low carb, high fat high protein, my skin was the best it has been in years. no cysts. barely any whiteheads, if i had a breakout, it would just go away in like 2 days. but my energy levels were so low, walking was a chore. i didnt work out, and my feet always felt cold, but my FACE WAS SOO CLEAR!!! but i just couldnt handle feeling lifeless every single day. so i started adding in little bit of carbs, and till today i still do eat carbs. but i eat less, and i workout with much less intensity. because if you do high intensity and high volume workouts, you need to replenish your glycogen or youll end up feeling like absolute sh!t. so i deal with the fact that i can never do high intensity workouts or be ripped. ill always be normal weight. i still do breakout little bit from eating carbs, but not bad as before. and i do still workout sometimes, but with much less intensity, so i wont have to eat so much carbs.

and since insulin seems to be the issue. try adding in chromium picolinate with carb meals, and continue to workout but with less intensity, because exercise seems to be the best way to deal with insulin sensitivity. also, if youre going to have a high carb meal, i suggest eating from protein and little bit of fats and fiber with each carb meal, so your insulin wont spike as fast as it would just by eating carbs alone.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/26/2013 3:06 pm

Try drinking green tea after your meals and maybe including cinnamon on some of your food to balance the insulin issue. As for lower blood pressure, I have the exact same issue, and find that six small meals a day helps keep me ticking over - with plenty of fruit included.

MemberMember
(@michaelh)

Posted : 09/06/2013 11:18 am

U can try a cyclical Keto diet. Ketosis for longer than 7 days is not healthy anyway. Your hormones start to down regulate after that point. That's probably why u got skinny as a rail. No hormones for muscle support. Insulin will restore that. If u do high GI carbs directly after working out it will go to restoring muscle glycogen.

Good luck. I'm on a keto diet and I'm breaking out worse than ever. Dermatologist thinks my protein may be too high.

MemberMember
(@blackbettybambalam)

Posted : 09/07/2013 12:04 am

Interesting. I've recently started a low glycemic index diet. i'll let y'all know how it shows in my skin.

youre just like me. when i was low carb, high fat high protein, my skin was the best it has been in years. no cysts. barely any whiteheads, if i had a breakout, it would just go away in like 2 days. but my energy levels were so low, walking was a chore. i didnt work out, and my feet always felt cold, but my FACE WAS SOO CLEAR!!! but i just couldnt handle feeling lifeless every single day. so i started adding in little bit of carbs, and till today i still do eat carbs. but i eat less, and i workout with much less intensity. because if you do high intensity and high volume workouts, you need to replenish your glycogen or youll end up feeling like absolute sh!t. so i deal with the fact that i can never do high intensity workouts or be ripped. ill always be normal weight. i still do breakout little bit from eating carbs, but not bad as before. and i do still workout sometimes, but with much less intensity, so i wont have to eat so much carbs.

and since insulin seems to be the issue. try adding in chromium picolinate with carb meals, and continue to workout but with less intensity, because exercise seems to be the best way to deal with insulin sensitivity. also, if youre going to have a high carb meal, i suggest eating from protein and little bit of fats and fiber with each carb meal, so your insulin wont spike as fast as it would just by eating carbs alone.

Try doing carbs that aren't turned into glucose so rapidly...pumpernickle and rye bread for example, brown rice rice, quinona, and barley. I hate the effect of low carb diets also, I run long distance so I get emaciated pretty quick if I cut out the carbs

MemberMember
(@zanymuffin)

Posted : 10/15/2013 8:50 am

53 y.o. male. Very bad but not scarring acne in my teens, which got better in my early 20's after I de-stressed my life. I do continue to have breakouts. I have been on and off ketogenic, low-carb, Atkins whatever you want to call it for close to a decade now. When I'm on it, my skin is perfectly clear. Still oily as ever, but clear. I theorize that my blood chemistry changes enough to be hostile to the bacteria. Maybe, maybe not, but that is my 100% anecdotal evidence.

MemberMember
(@tcoun)

Posted : 08/16/2015 3:52 am

U can try a cyclical Keto diet. Ketosis for longer than 7 days is not healthy anyway. Your hormones start to down regulate after that point. That's probably why u got skinny as a rail. No hormones for muscle support. Insulin will restore that. If u do high GI carbs directly after working out it will go to restoring muscle glycogen.

Good luck. I'm on a keto diet and I'm breaking out worse than ever. Dermatologist thinks my protein may be too high.

No true at all. Your body can efficiently run in ketosis using fat primarily as an energy source, or primarily using carbs. Either way, it isn't "unhealthy". Ketosis doesn't necessarily make you skinny either, a calorie deficit does. In fact, you can gain weight while in ketosis! The body can also create it's own glucose using gluconeogensis (converting protein to glucose) and before you think "muscle protein", think again. It is primarily dietary protein (about 20 grams creates the brains needed 10g glucose (because the body primarily runs off of ketone bodies). I think if you stick with it, you'll see results :) . Good luck to you!

I do intense working out (7 days per week), and I do admit, i was pretty fatigued and dizzy at first, but 2 months into ketosis and I was doing better than ever. I found out that tissue can only use glycogen OR ketones, but never both t the same time. Only the brain can do that.Maybe it just takes a while before the muscle tissue makes a complete switch. I know coconut oil can help you enter nutritional ketosis faster, but then again, so can fasting. Just be sure to track your macros and make sure fat is 65% or more of your calorie intake. :) Good luck

P.S.- Concerning your "Hypoglycemia", are you sure that's what it actually was? I used my mother's blood meter frequently, and I had the most stable blood sugar that I've ever had in my life. I can almost guarantee you that your dizziness came from an electrolyte imbalance. When you enter ketosis and deplete the body's stored glycogen (glucose stored in the form of a tissue in the liver), you also release tons of water (hence why you lose almost 5 pounds once you enter ketosis. It's all water weight) One gram of glycogen is stored with 3 grams of water and the body stores about 500 grams of glycogen at one time in the liver so that's about 3 pounds (1500 grams). Anyway, it's generally recommended that you eat almost 3-4 grams of salt during the initial entering of ketosis because the body doesn't hold onto salt as much as it used to (it helped with my blood pressure!). Ok, I talk too much. sorry for the small book I typed, I got too excited.

MissSac17 liked
MemberMember
(@kotideva)

Posted : 10/04/2017 2:01 am

Keto diet is popularly known as a low carb diet, where the ketones produced in the human liver are used as energy. This diet is also called as a ketogenic diet, low carb high fat (LCHF), low carb diet, etc.

Ketosis is a natural process our body starts to help us persist when the food intake is low. Here, we yield ketones that are produced from the break of fats that are stored in our liver.

The final goal of a Keto diet is attaining the process of Ketosis forcefully so that one can lose their fats that are piled up in their body. Ideal ketone levels provide good health, perfect body, and exceptional physical and mental performance.