Notifications
Clear all

Really Scared Of Going To College With Acne + Questions About People In College Already?

MemberMember
(@jasmine001)

Posted : 08/18/2013 5:00 pm

Okay. So, I have had bad acne from when I was 13 to now when I'm 18. I thought to myself (like probably many during the summer), that I will get rid of my acne before college. See, I have/had a problem with wearing makeup CONSTANTLY and mean ALL. THE. TIME.

I wore it around my parents, my friends, and even battled not allowing anyone to see my face without it during a 2 week trip abroad my senior year. It was stressful, but I managed to have fun despite these insecurities.

However, I've been waning off using serious amounts of foundation, and my acne has gotten slightly better. I think really it has gotten a LOT better but I just don't see it, because I still see breakouts and places I want gone forever.

I now apply a tinted moisturizer, concealer and then a small amount of mineral foundation, but when I leave to go to college this coming Wednesday, I don't want to have to wear the foundation AT ALL. By that I mean, I want to feel confident enough to have acne on my face, or at least start fresh at college without the baggage of foundation.

OKAY that long story said, I am scared but willing to only wear tinted moisturizer and concealer. However, I'm super self conscious about applying my makeup. I hate thinking about other girls looking at me in the mirror. Also, I'm wondering about washing your face/doing your usual face routine. Do girls just take their facial cleansers and what not to the bathroom, a face towel, and then do whatever they need to do? I have never shared a public bathroom. I AM SCARED OUT OF MY MIND.

Any advice/past experience/help with the whole self conscious stuff would really really be appreciated. smile.png

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/18/2013 5:27 pm

Jazemin, since you have a few days before you go off to college you should try wearing less makeup than normal, go out and see how you feel. Also, don't be scared about wearing less makeup. Lots of people have acne, so don't feel alone! (:

MemberMember
(@jasmine001)

Posted : 08/18/2013 7:15 pm

Yeah I mean, that's what I've been doing this summer. When I went swimming in July, I hardly had any acne, but now it's back again because I started working after vacation, thus wearing foundation again and starting the cycle. For a week and a half, I've been off of work to prepare for college so I've worn less makeup. I'm getting there, but I just wish I had a couple more weeks.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 08/18/2013 7:54 pm

I'm not scared just ashamed, embarrassed, and really fucking tired of it apearing on my motherfucking face. Not looking forward to the semester. Today was my last day of work for the summer and I'm glad It's finally over. Going out the front door with my face was an acheivment for me. Now school, fuck.

MemberMember
(@jasmine001)

Posted : 08/18/2013 9:34 pm

Oh man I felt the same way on my last day of work :( I hope we both survive..

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/20/2013 3:06 am

A lot of people at my Uni (college) have acne - I was anxious about the same thing, because I got both my braces and acne just in time for starting Uni. However, you'll find most people are in the same boat as you with a lot of things, not just skin problems. You'll always get the people that wake up 3 hours early to try and make themselves look like they've never had a blemish in their life, but after the first few weeks most people realize it's not necessary, and it's not uncommon to see people without makeup.

MemberMember
(@thesilentforce)

Posted : 09/01/2013 12:48 am

I remember during my freshman year of college, my acne was very bad. I would wear foundation every time I go out, but I knew that wearing foundation would cause more breakouts in the long run. My acne was so bad that I would get blood on the back of my pajama tops daily because of the acne on my back. Sometimes, pus oozed out of the acne on my face and back instead of blood. *shudder* I've been taking antibiotics on and off ever since middle school but after my freshman year of college, I decided not to completely go off it of until I grow out of it.

So my advice is to try a different treatment if your current treatment isn't working effectively. Relying on heavy makeup is not good because it may cause more breakouts in the future. I guess it also depends on what kind of makeup you're wearing. You'll probably share the sink with your roommate(s), so you'll have to get used to that. I think if you find a treatment that works for you, you'll feel less self conscious around your roommate(s).

MemberMember
(@jasmine001)

Posted : 09/02/2013 8:52 pm

I'd just like to say that I've been in college for about a week. I haven't worn foundation at all, and I feel great. This is the literally the first time in my life I've gone without makeup.

I still break out, but I'm able to do things without thinking about my make up. I can show my face without being so self conscious. I basically started a new life...

Thanks everyone smile.png

Also, college helps you not pick at your face. You're way too busy, and things just heal naturally!