Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melie87

The Toxic Truth About Gluten-Free Food And Celiac Disease

I have been reading more and more about the additives in gluten free bread and that they may be doing more harm than good. You can't go into any grocery store now without seeing that "Health Aisle" adorned with gluten free, vegan choices that claim to be more of that healthier option. I just finished reading a few compelling arguments about the toxicity of the famous gluten free bread. I have been skeptical about all the extra crap added to the bread to make up for the ingredients in wheat bread. I get a bread with only 4 ingredients, and I still get acne, but even when I ate gluten free for three months, I still got acne too. I'd just say avoid wheat altogether and don't get a substitute, if you really want to see a difference, and just stick to organic grown raw foods. What do you guys think?

Read on: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/04/the-toxic-truth-about-gluten-free-food-and-celiac-disease/

Edited by Melie87

I agree, Udi's gluten free bread is so popular, but read the ingriedients- yikes!

I make my own, Bob's red mill multi grain mix is pretty easy and makes a great bread, and you know what's in it.

Just because it says gluten free doesn't mean it's not processed and full of preservatives....read the labels!

It's not just additives. Many gluten free foods are based on rice or potatoes, both of which lectins that damage the digestive tract similar to gluten. They don't contain as much and/or are not as harmful, but if you are very sensitive/damaged, you might not see any benefit if you simply switch from wheat-based processed foods to some other gluten free processed foods. Besides they are expensive. Better to just learn to eat real food. It's probably not forever. Just until you heal.

There's more info in the Better Grains and Better Breads threads, and the ZAG Enzyme/Lectin thread. Links in the Good Things thread.