Notifications
Clear all

Scrub That Acne Away!

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 08/18/2013 9:37 am

You've probably tried everything to get rid of your acne: Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic acid, retinoids, teatree oil, TCA, eating clean, cutting out all sugar, alcohol and dairy, drinking 5L of water a day, a combination of all those thing.... the list goes on and on, yet you STILL can not prevent acne or even control it.

What i'm about to tell you flies in the face of what you've previously been told NOT to do. It is no secret, and quite frankly it's the most obvious thing to do. Don't let anyone tell you that this method will not work as it is likely to aggravate your acne and cause irritation. Well actually, it may initially cause irritation but that will subside after several weeks after your skin adjusts.

Acne prone skin is actually very strong, enduring skin. Topical treatments simply don't have anything approaching the power necessary to treat acne. Yes they are OK for the occasional spot, but lets face it, acne is a completely different ball game. The washes and scrubs you buy over the counter are simply not intended for acne in the first instance, even though the majority of them are marketed as for acne. No, they're simply only good enough for the minor blemish. The reason why companies don't manufacture products for acne is because it is actually not possible, but they would rather have you believe their product is the thing you need. It all just comes down to money. Also, most topical acne products just clog pores further given that they are already clogged in the first place, exasperating the problem.

Ok, so what do you need to do to treat acne? You first need to buy yourself some wash cloths. You need to literally scrub and scrub and scrub your face with hot water, the wash cloth and a soap (any soap does really, but i would prefer to use something very mild). You can probably skip the soap in most cases anyway as the hot water and the scrubbing with the wash cloth will be doing most of the job. What you are actually doing is killing the bacteria with the hot water and efficiently and effectively shredding the dead skins cells and other trash that is doing nothing but clog your pores.

You may find your face is very red the first few times you do this method, however that is a small price to pay for what will be the end result, a crystal clear face. Don't let people tell you the red face is an indication you're irritating your skin and making it worse. It's just that your skin hasn't adjusted. Once you've been using this method for several weeks, you'll notice your skin doesn't become as red and it returns back to it's normal color much quicker, like minutes after the scrub. I am also experimenting with 1600 grit wet dry sandpaper and initial results look promising, particularly as I have now cleared my acne with the hot scrub method. What i'm seeing with 1600 grit wet dry sandpaper is a very smooth complexion after use. The acne scars I have are gradually fading, including indented scars and pock marks.

Just to add, the water has to be very hot. It will be almost painful initially as your skin hasn't adjusted. The scrubbing with the wash cloth needs to be hard and aggressive. The first time you do it, you face should be almost blood red.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/18/2013 12:32 pm

sandpaper! are you serious????

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/18/2013 12:55 pm

hahaha I like you <3

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 08/18/2013 12:59 pm

sandpaper! are you serious????

Yes, sandpaper. 1600 grit wet dry. Tear a bit off into a bucket of warm water and leave it for a couple of minutes. You can then scrub your skin using firm circular motions. I'm currently using the hot water cloth method twice a day (morning and night), and I use the sandpaper method after the nightly scrub. The hot water cloth method completely controlled my acne but didn't do anything for the scars. The sandpaper method is refining the skin making the scars fade.

I should also add that you must not use any kind of moisturizer at all after either the hot water cloth or the 1600 grit method. Any kind of topical you put onto your face will clog the pores over time putting you right back to square one. Don't worry about the skin feeling dry and tight the first few times you do the hot water cloth method. After around 4 weeks you'll find your skin adjusts nicely.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/18/2013 1:04 pm

This is probably THE worst thing you can do for acne. Congrats, someone finally topped urine treatment in the category.

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 08/18/2013 1:12 pm

Also, please don't use the sandpaper method if you have active acne. Use the hot water cloth method until you no longer have active acne then use the sandpaper (whilst also keeping up the hot water cloth method). Also resist the temptation to use topicals. That means no benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid and moisturizer. Depending on your climate, you may need to use sunscreen, however that is the only unavoidable topical you should use (unless you like skin cancer later in life).

It is also important not to confuse the treatment working with agitated skin. Your skin is likely to be red and possibly sore after several days in the beginning, but you must let this phase pass.

Also, please don't continue buying stupid vitamins, minerals, herbs and other crap believing that these can control acne. In the majority of cases, they can't.

This is probably THE worst thing you can do for acne. Congrats, someone finally topped urine treatment in the category.

MemberMember
(@melodicvat)

Posted : 08/18/2013 1:40 pm

I think sandpaper is a bit harsh for the skin. Instead, if you go to some Korean Beauty Supply stores, they sell this really rough cloth that is meant for scraping off dead skin. I think I'll use that instead.

Wonderful suggestion. I'm going to try using this with my regimen and see if it works or not.

MemberMember
(@melodicvat)

Posted : 08/18/2013 2:07 pm

So I tried your method in the shower just now for my entire body, not just my face and let me say a few things.

• Definitely a lot more painful, haha. Since you are scraping your skin with a rougher surface and you're using hot water, it's like taking a hot shower after a rug burn.
  • After finishing, I feel.... a lot cleaner then I usually do. I'm assuming if you feel cleaner, your skin is cleaner, which is probably a good start for an acne free body, haha.
  • It's taking away the peelyness from my dryness, as I use hydrogen peroxide which dries out the skin a bit.
  • I think it'll be a good combo with my hydrogen peroxide regimen I use, since the rough cloth kinda breaks the surface of the skin, and causes an opening on my bigger pimples, and if I use hydrogen peroxide, it'll flood the inside of the pore and kill off all bacteria.

Definitely gonna be using this for my cleansing stage before I apply my toner.

Question to Purplesky: Exactly how hot does the water have to be when you say hot? My body can tolerate very hot temperatures cause I like a hot shower, but my face has a very low tolerance to water that is higher in temperature.

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 08/18/2013 3:16 pm

Question to Purplesky: Exactly how hot does the water have to be when you say hot? My body can tolerate very hot temperatures cause I like a hot shower, but my face has a very low tolerance to water that is higher in temperature.

The water really has to be as hot as you can tolerate. The skin on the face is thinner than say your back, so the pain threshold will be lower. The first time you do the hot water cloth method, your face should be very red. If you can try to use the same temperature water you use in a hot shower, that would be ideal. Your face will eventually adapt over time to such temperatures. The first time I used the method, my face was red for around 4 hours after. Now my skin goes bright red and turns back to its normal color after around 5 minutes or so.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/18/2013 3:21 pm

Also, please don't use the sandpaper method if you have active acne. Use the hot water cloth method until you no longer have active acne then use the sandpaper (whilst also keeping up the hot water cloth method). Also resist the temptation to use topicals. That means no benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid and moisturizer. Depending on your climate, you may need to use sunscreen, however that is the only unavoidable topical you should use (unless you like skin cancer later in life).

It is also important not to confuse the treatment working with agitated skin. Your skin is likely to be red and possibly sore after several days in the beginning, but you must let this phase pass.

Also, please don't continue buying stupid vitamins, minerals, herbs and other crap believing that these can control acne. In the majority of cases, they can't.

You're wrong. You're thinking that it can't work because that's what people have led you to believe. The urine therapy however is completely ridiculous.

No I'm not. This will aggravate your existing acne, irritate your skin, and promote the spread of the bacteria that likely caused your acne in the first place. If you want to exfoliate your skin, do a chemical peel. This will damage your epidermis long term.

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 08/18/2013 3:30 pm

Sandpaper on the skin might sound scary, but it's actually very effective. Remember, we're talking fine grade wet and dry sandpaper that has softened for a few minutes in warm water. It's normally used to polish paintwork on metal and has a very smooth action. The sandpaper method is only used to soften and fade scars and I would not recommend this on active acne.

You're wrong. You're thinking that it can't work because that's what people have led you to believe. The urine therapy however is completely ridiculous.

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 08/18/2013 3:37 pm

You've been a member since 06, wake up from cryo-sleep and make this troll thread? huh.png

MemberMember
(@melodicvat)

Posted : 08/18/2013 11:22 pm

Oh my gosh. Stop arguing like kids. If you don't think it'll work, don't do it. Simple as that. I find this thread interesting and may explain why my Korean parents and grandparents always say they've never had acne as severe as I. They always wash with that rough cloth. I never did cause I hated the feeling of it, but after reading this post, it's worth a try.

No I'm not. This will aggravate your existing acne, irritate your skin, and promote the spread of the bacteria that likely caused your acne in the first place. If you want to exfoliate your skin, do a chemical peel. This will damage your epidermis long term.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/18/2013 11:52 pm

Give it a shot then. See how much it damages skin with active acne. Let us know what you think.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 08/19/2013 1:02 am

Not needed. There are better ways to kill bacteria like getting oxygen facials.

MemberMember
(@lxxx)

Posted : 08/19/2013 2:08 am

Oh my gosh. Stop arguing like kids. If you don't think it'll work, don't do it. Simple as that. I find this thread interesting and may explain why my Korean parents and grandparents always say they've never had acne as severe as I. They always wash with that rough cloth. I never did cause I hated the feeling of it, but after reading this post, it's worth a try.

I guess since I'm using Hydrogen Peroxide as my toner, this shouldn't be a problem, since HP is anti-septic and will wipe out all bacteria on my skin. I don't think it would damage the epidermis but actually strengthen it. This is why most people who do certain sports or activities develop really tough skin: guitar players from lots of pressure on the strings, gymnasts from swinging from bars, etc. Sure, at first the skin is weak and it blisters, but after a while, if you've played guitar, it toughens up and doesn't bother you at all after a while. Like I said, my grandparents have been using a method maybe not as harsh but very similar to this thread and their skin looks mighty fine. In Korea, they have bath houses with super hot steam and water, and they use these rough wash clothes all the time. Now that I think about it, this may be a possible solution to acne.

Good going, Purplesky.

Funny enough, they're even called "Asian Exfoliating Washcloths". You can find them here:

http://www.amazon.com/pcs-Asian-Exfoliating-Bath-Washcloth/dp/B004C8DR1U

These are the exact same ones I have at home and is what I'm using. I still agree that the sandpaper might be a bit too harsh, but this washcloth I think will do the trick, since your exfoliating with a really rough cloth rather than little bits of particles which may tear and scratch up your skin. Definitely recommend.

The product says *NOT RECOMMENDED FOR FACIAL SCRUBBING eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 08/19/2013 3:08 am

Jonah Hex uses sandpaper.

Review-Jonah-Hex-Starring-Josh-Brolin.jp

MemberMember
(@salinas)

Posted : 08/19/2013 6:53 am

I did scrub my skin for years, and I ended up with every pore on my face clogged. I didn't even realize it as the damage was mostly done underneath the surface of my skin: pores starting to produce more sebum to deal with the scrubbing and becoming enlarged and clogged. The blackheads and visable bumps are just the tip of the iceberg, the larger parts the of plugs are deep inside your skin where the sebum is produced, no scrub or peeling will reach this. All these topical treatments do is irritate the skin, your skin will react with becoming more oily making the problem worse. Scrubbing did ruin my skin. Don't do it. Nature didn't make our skin for scrubbing. Use a retenoid cream to deal with clogged pores.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/19/2013 7:04 am

Dave6677, LOVED the Jonah Hex reference, I needed that laugh today.

Well let's write this off to an extreme method that may work for some, proceed at your own risk...but I think I'm going to pass!

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/19/2013 8:59 pm

Jonah Hex uses sandpaper.

Review-Jonah-Hex-Starring-Josh-Brolin.jp

KING!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/19/2013 10:51 pm

o.O Scrub my acne away. I think that's sacrilegious to post on this website, considering the acne.org regimen is based upon barely touching your face at all... To each his own, I suppose.

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 08/19/2013 11:44 pm

KING!

Your avatar made me think you were an Accutane dealer lol.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/20/2013 3:12 am

Many adolescents believe that acne is related to facial hygiene, and so they may try treating themselves with harsh astringents, abrasives, or vigorous scrubbing. It is important for them to understand that such treatment may actually worsen their acne and increase the likelihood of inflammation and scarring. Many clinicians prefer to recommend an appropriate gentle, daily skin-care regimen, including a noncomedogenic moisturizer and sunscreen for the patient to use with the prescribed treatment(s).

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/131/Supplement_3/S163.full.pdf+html

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 08/20/2013 4:04 am

So its "not for active acne" so why is the thread title "scrub that acne away"? Very misleading

For acne scar treatment it is known that exfoliation and massage helps to break down scar tissue, i'll give you that, but telling people to go and use sand paper is absolutely insane. Look into getting (micro) dermabrasion done professionally if its an avenue you want to explore but dont take something like that into your own hands because you can seriously damage your skin and end up with permanent scarring.

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/20/2013 7:12 am

KING!

Your avatar made me think you were an Accutane dealer lol.

hahahaha nono I took out all of my Accutane tablets yday only and I felt my litle Accutane "army" needed a picture :) hahahah ::D