Notifications
Clear all

Lilo's Supplement Log

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 08/18/2013 1:37 am

Paleo did not work for me, I just couldn't do it for longer than 2 months and didn't really see any or much improvement.

So while I was searching the web I stumbled across a skin care range for acne, including a supplement with niacinamide and zinc (2 months ago), which I decided to try while I was taking a very low dose of accutane. After a month I stopped the roaccutane to see whether it was working, however, I knew my skin would be fine for exactly one month after roaccutane. About a week or two ago I could see my skin worsening again, so I switched to niacin no flush last week with very promising results so far, I am clear once again. I haven't given up on niacinamide because I know all the studies for acne has been on this active form. I might try a different brand, once my no-flush is finished.

My current regimen is as follows:

Niacin no-flush: 3 g

Zinc picolinate: 220 to 300 mg (I have no issues with nausea from the high dosage)

Vitamin C: 4,5 g

B6: 250 mg

Folic acid

The above was adopted from Dr Carl Pfeiffer's nutritional treatment for acne.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 08/21/2013 1:55 pm

Do have a bit of a break-out at the moment, not so bad that I need to revert back to my low dose accutane. Hoping it won't get any worse. Have dropped to 2 grams niacin this past week, but have decided to go back to 3 grams again.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 08/24/2013 5:36 am

I am so inconsistent with supps. Yesterday I started again on a 375 mg niacinamide and 100g zinc 4 times per day. I guess I'm concerned about the risk of liver damage from taking no flush niacin, even though I felt it worked pretty well.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 08/26/2013 12:13 pm

Started on 3g niacinamide and 220 mg zinc, no other changes to my supps. My skin is not doing too bad, very small actives, gone in a day or three.

Also applying a niacinamide gel, and I think it helps a lot.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 09/02/2013 12:09 pm

And there was hair loss...

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 10/23/2013 2:37 pm

My new supplement is green tea extract. Have been taking it for 1,5 weeks and so far so good. Have dropped the others, except for a B6 and Mg combo (mainly for pms) and taking clear skin complex by viridian. Skin has gone from oily to dry which is a bit strange.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 10/24/2013 1:38 pm

Have slacked off on my low GI diet, i.e. had refined soya bread with margarine and biscotti, the rest was fine. I need to drink more green tea, had none today.

Skin was good, three very small whiteheads. Still no significant oil.

Had my four GTE pills on an empty stomach.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 10/27/2013 6:09 am

So I had almonds again and broke out with quite a few whiteheads on my chin area, am I ever going to accept that nuts really don't sit well with me.

I have also returned to my low GI diet, i.e. had oat bran for breakfast and sprouted wheat bread with avo for lunch.

My skin is already doing better.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 11/06/2013 2:12 pm

Scratch my last trial, didn't work all that well. I'm doing a B2 (400 mg/day) with other B vitamins, dry vitamin E and ALA at the moment.

Also started using Skinmedica's acne range, a bit drying thus far, but have cleared up considerably. Might consider a moisturizer over the acne treatment to counteract the dryness.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 11/09/2013 12:10 am

Currently 100 % clear. But will have to see what happens in my luteal phase before I can comment.

On the other hand, I've always had breakouts regardless of what time of the month it is.

The skin range has dried my skin considerably, so I have started to use a moisturizer instead of the acne lotion with BP.

Still taking my supps, no problems.