Notifications
Clear all

Red Marks, And Dark Marks, And Scars! Oh My!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/17/2013 2:35 pm

Okay, so after being on a strict regimen (see signature) for almost 6 weeks, I think my acne is beginning to retreat *viciously knocks on wood*. Whenever my acne decides that it wants to disappear, I know I am going to be left with a less than perfect complexion. All my scarring is thankfully superficial, but my skin tone is soooo uneven. I would day 95% of my scarring is dark marks, mixed in with the odd red mark. I have one tiny tiny indented scar by my right eyebrow, but I'm not too concerned about that right now.

The problem is that my skin is super sensitive. I'm pretty sure using AHA+ is out for me, because last time I put glycolic acid on my skin, I felt like my skin was melting off. I'm going to start using Paula's Choice BHA to get rid of the clogged pores on my forehead and chin, so any scar treatment I want to attempt has to be somewhat gentle. I'm considering going back to doing microdermabrasion, but the drawbacks are increase in whiteheads, skin is really sensitive afterwards so I may have to take breaks from my acne medication, and obviously the price. $85-$100/session isn't really in my budget right now. Does anyone have any experience with fading this type of scarring?

My goal is to have the perfect complexion by next summer. So maybe I can actually go to the beach, or go swimming, or be outside in the heat without having to worry about my skin. Seems like lightyears away until that will actually be a reality. Anyways, thanks for any replies in advance!

Any replies, success stories, and advice are very much appreciated!

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 08/17/2013 2:52 pm

I'm struggling with this exact problem myself. It's really getting me down, especially since my acne is a lot better now. I still have actives, but I'm trying very slowly and only in clear areas with some things. I'm not sure how strong the AHA+ is, and I think things like lemon juice and lactic acid are also AHAs? Well, anyway, I am trying with those things, but since the lemon juice is probably not as strong as the AHA+ it might work for you. It's a pretty slow process but it is something in the right direction, I suppose.

I also bought the Paula's Choice Antioxidant serum. It hasn't gotten here yet, but I'm hoping it'll help heal my skin and not break me out.

I'd love to hear other recommendations! My skin is so uneven right now, it's making my acne look a lot worse.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 08/17/2013 5:30 pm

If your skin can tolerate it, perform a TCA peel. I'd bet my mother and her cat that, that would give you the skin you had pre-acne, in about 6 months.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/17/2013 10:57 pm

If your skin can tolerate it, perform a TCA peel. I'd bet my mother and her cat that, that would give you the skin you had pre-acne, in about 6 months.

I've read such amazing things about TCA peels. My skin can't tolerate it, which makes me so depressed. My skin can't even tolerate 1% BP SPOT TREATMENT!! I get horrible sallow, red marks on my face every time I used to use it on a zit. I can't imagine what a TCA peel would do to my whole face. I did a glycolic peel 10%, performed in my esthetician's office, and horrific things happened to my skin. My face didn't recover for about month. *shivers* I honestly think that it worsened my acne to this day... Thank you for the reply though!

I unfortunately need "gentle"methods for scar treatment, which I'm sure a few and far between.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 08/18/2013 2:45 am

I've read such amazing things about TCA peels. My skin can't tolerate it, which makes me so depressed. My skin can't even tolerate 1% BP SPOT TREATMENT!! I get horrible sallow, red marks on my face every time I used to use it on a zit. I can't imagine what a TCA peel would do to my whole face. I did a glycolic peel 10%, performed in my esthetician's office, and horrific things happened to my skin. My face didn't recover for about month. *shivers* I honestly think that it worsened my acne to this day... Thank you for the reply though!

I unfortunately need "gentle"methods for scar treatment, which I'm sure a few and far between.

Aw that sucks. Have you tried lactic acid?, a gentler alternative to Glycolic acid. The best I can recommend would be:

-Manual exfoliation (baby brush) 2x week.

-Likas soap (Kojic if you can handle it. An acid lightener, but still very gentle) nightly.

-Retin-a (0.025/0.05%) at night 3 x a week (never consecutively).

- Lactic acid peel (20% EXTREMELY gentle) 1 x a week. OR lactic acid lotion (Very low concentration, suitable for sensitive types) on the days you don't use retin-a.

-sap (sun avoidance and protection) for a while.

That's the best I have for one with sensitive skin. Hope you find the answers you're looking for.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/18/2013 1:02 pm

Aw that sucks. Have you tried lactic acid?, a gentler alternative to Glycolic acid. The best I can recommend would be:

-Manual exfoliation (baby brush) 2x week.

-Likas soap (Kojic if you can handle it. An acid lightener, but still very gentle) nightly.

-Retin-a (0.025/0.05%) at night 3 x a week (never consecutively).

- Lactic acid peel (20% EXTREMELY gentle) 1 x a week. OR lactic acid lotion (Very low concentration, suitable for sensitive types) on the days you don't use retin-a.

-sap (sun avoidance and protection) for a while.

That's the best I have for one with sensitive skin. Hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Thank you so much! I'm going to look into Lactic acid because I've heard a lot of people have success with that for lightening dark marks. I wish so much I could use Retin-A... It just tears up my skin. I thankfully already stay out the sun because of my topical medications, so that won't be an issue. Hopefully my dermatologist will also have a few recommendations when I see her in 3 weeks. Although, I doubt she'll have organic suggestions because then she wouldn't be making any money lol these doctors mann