Notifications
Clear all

Benzac Making Skin Worse

MemberMember
(@onestepcloser)

Posted : 08/16/2013 11:23 pm

I have been using Benzac 10% for 1 week. My skin looks horrible very dull and lifeless, more acne, dry and red scars look worse and pitted scars more obvious.

I know it takes time to see results but is ALL of the above normal? Should I continue and just put up with it?

MemberMember
(@simon12345)

Posted : 08/16/2013 11:36 pm

i used benzac AC myself, and really you should first start of with 2 1/2% then work up to 5% but never use 10%. I don't know if you are using the wash and the cream, but if i were u i would buy the wash at 5% and use 2 1/2% cream which got me very good results removing all pimples which i barley ever get anymore. The only downside if red marks and acne scars. Also remember to use a moisturiser prefarably with SPF of 15+

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/16/2013 11:38 pm

It's likely that the 10% is too harsh for your skin. Anything over 2.5% when it comes to BP just causes more irritation without being any more effective than 2.5%

If you can get the 2.5% Benzac I think that would be a good idea - especially if you are applying it all over your face.

The redness and dryness etc is still going to happen at 2.5% for a while but hopefully it wouldn't be as bad. There is an adjustment period so you will probably still see redness and dryness for the first few weeks until your skin adjusts to the BP completely. It's annoying but hang in there! :)

XXYY liked
MemberMember
(@onestepcloser)

Posted : 08/17/2013 1:57 am

Thanks, I brought the strongest hoping that would get rid of acne faster! Is 2.5% really enough to make a difference? I have moderate acne and get some cysts every now and then.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/17/2013 2:07 am

Yeah it is! And like I said before, studies have found that anything over 2.5% isn't any more effective than 2.5% but causes more irritation etc.

My acne is/was typically moderate with a number of deep under the skin spots but I've been following the acne.org regimen (for a little over a month now) which uses 2.5% BP and my skin has improved a lot. My acne is definitely mild now - so I do still breakout and have acne but I'm still only about a month into it so I hope the improvements keep on coming.

So yeah 2.5% BP is definitely still enough to make a difference and show improvement in your skin. BP can be a pain to use at times but I'd say it's worth it!

MemberMember
(@sepphy)

Posted : 08/19/2013 2:52 am

I got a few things to say about using benzoyl peroxide. As a user, it's done an excellent job of controlling my acne. Here we go:

1. Build up on how much you use - Your skin will need to adjust on the BP. You can't just use a ton of BP on the first day, you gotta let your skin take its time to know the BP. After a few weeks, carefully increase the usage but make sure you're using enough to maximize the results.

2. It's a hard process - It's going to cause some irritation, some sting, redness, dryness and flakiness. It's all normal, I went through that, everybody who used the BP went through that. It's tough but you gotta do it.

3. It's gonna take some time - You've only been using it for one week, chances are your skin is going to get worse before it gets better. That's normal, one week is only the beginning. It's going to take at least 12 weeks to see the full effect of BP.

4. Moisturize - You probably are using moisturizer but i just want to stress how important this is especially using BP which can really dry out your skin.

5. Take it easy on the BP - The higher the concentration doesn't mean the effects are better, sometimes it's worse for your skin. I like the idea of

simon12345 to start slow with 2.5% then work your way up to 5% although me personally I started with 5% and stayed with it. Your choice.

6. Stick with it - Sounds simple but there were times when I wanted to give up and just move on. I know how you feel but if you give up now you won't be giving yourself a chance to get rid of your acne. Take it from me, we've all been there, you just have to stay persistent and determined.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@madeleine24)

Posted : 08/19/2013 4:10 am

I've been using Epiduo Cream which is BP 2.5% and a retinoid as well, prescription only here. It has made my skin dry too but it's helped a lot with my acne. Make sure you cleanse with something mild like cetaphil or your skin will burn and flake more. 10% sounds way too strong.