Notifications
Clear all

Does Topical Retinol Cure Acne?

MemberMember
(@grooveline)

Posted : 08/15/2013 8:20 pm

I mean "cure." Not "treat," as in I use the product and my condition clears. "Cure," as in the condition stays clear even after using the product.

I've heard differing information about this, but it seems plausible to my not-very-scientific mind.

Even if it's just a treatment, and not a cure, I'm considering giving it a shot. FWIW: I'm male, mild-to-moderate acne, mostly dry skin.

While I'm at it, any opinions on Differin vs. Green Cream vs. Paula's Choice Resist Retinol Serum?

MemberMember
(@acne2000)

Posted : 08/16/2013 9:06 am

I tried Retin A, Differin, and Tazorac. None of them were effective for me and I found them inconvenient. I eventually went with Accutane and it worked. It didn't provide me with a "cure" but it was definitely the most effective thing and aside from the dryness it was convenient and easy to deal with. The results were really good while I was on the drug and lasted for several months afterward. I'm once again on Accutane for sebaceous hyperplasia (large clogged pores) and it's working well. This is just my personal experience. Some people get good results from topical treatments.

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/19/2013 5:09 pm

Differin is good but you need to combine this with something like Duac or use Anitbiotics for effective results. There isnt a real cure for acne you have to treat acne until you outgrow it.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 08/19/2013 5:22 pm

IMO tazorac and retin A help to keep your pores clean...when you first start you break out a bit as your pores purge

of course it works better for some then for others - they both are topical vitamin A derivatives, like accutane is an oral vitamin A derivative

taz works for me, but there is an adjustment period, most don't stick it out