Notifications
Clear all

Is It Possible To Remove These Scars?

MemberMember
(@maplemaple)

Posted : 08/15/2013 4:13 pm

Hi!

I have had problems with acne for years and it has left scars mainly on my cheeks. I still have some acne left, but I just got a prescription that I hope will help it to go away. Anyway, I am really worried over the scars I've gotten. The doctor said that they won't go away, but he didn't know anything about laser treatments or other scar treatments. If anyone know what treatment would be suitable for these kind of scars, and would be willing to help me, I would be so greatful! Will it be possible for me to make them almost invisible?

med_gallery_215713_13137_339206.jpgmed_gallery_215713_13137_1536423.jpg

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 08/16/2013 5:56 am

Hello Maple! :D

You have mild boxcar scarring on your left cheek, and mild with a few moderate boxcar scars on your right. Your doctor is right about them not going away on their own but that doesn't mean you have to live with them forever! :D

May I ask what prescription drug you're taking for your active acne? Is it Accutane? If so, I strongly recommend waiting until your course is done and you are acne free before you think about scar correction. Accutane lingers in your system for some months after you finish your course and can impede successful scar correction or in rare cases, cause you to scar more easily.

Make sure to take extra good care of your skin while your acne is clearing up and drink lots of water. Find a good cleanser and wash your face morning and night, but avoid things that dry your skin out (like toners, yuck!). Keep your skin as oil free but as hydrated as you can! Most importantly please wear sunscreen everyday, even if it is cloudy outside! UV rays kill collagen and will make scarring worse. ;)

As for scar correction options you have lots! Your scarring isn't severe so I would start with less invasive procedures first, like skin needling, then work your way up to different treatments. Lasers are not the be all and end all, so consider them as a last option. There is an awesome device that you may find interesting for your type of scarring called the EnerJet (or, Airgent). It is non invasive and many members of this board are loving their results. :)

Keep your chin up! Think of yourself as a work in progress and one day you will look back on all of this with pride!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/20/2013 6:50 pm

I posted some suggestions in your gallery. I agree with quirky fox, you shouldn't go for invasive treatments unless they are your last resort. A couple of months ago, an aesthetican at my doctor's office was trying to sell me fraxel and it made me feel like it was my only option. 2 months later, my scars are less noticeable and all I have been doing is treating my skin gently and trying out light therapy to help with collagen production.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/20/2013 8:32 pm

You can't do anything with active acne. I believe you will only prolong your treatment period by using the conservative approach. Fractionalized Ablative Lasers are the Gold standard for treating scars like yours, so you can either waste years before you finally come to lasers or get aggressive now.

MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 08/21/2013 3:06 pm

I posted some suggestions in your gallery. I agree with quirky fox, you shouldn't go for invasive treatments unless they are your last resort. A couple of months ago, an aesthetican at my doctor's office was trying to sell me fraxel and it made me feel like it was my only option. 2 months later, my scars are less noticeable and all I have been doing is treating my skin gently and trying out light therapy to help with collagen production.

what light therapy have you been using for collage production?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/22/2013 10:46 pm

You can't do anything with active acne. I believe you will only prolong your treatment period by using the conservative approach. Fractionalized Ablative Lasers are the Gold standard for treating scars like yours, so you can either waste years before you finally come to lasers or get aggressive now.

Yeah, that's why I recommended blue and red light. Blue takes care of the active acne, and red calms down inflammation and stimulates collagen production. Agreed, the results are not as noticeable as lasers, but for active acne this method helps control both the acne and the scarring. High frequency and gentle peels can help too, without aggravating active acne.

what light therapy have you been using for collage production?

I use LED red light therapy at my estheticians. I also used the portable LED lights in the past, but this time I lay under bright red lights for 15 minutes. For me, it helps but I have to be consistent with it. What I like about it is that the skin keeps improving even days after the treatment. But it need to be done every 2-4 weeks. If it's done every day though the skin stops responding to it.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 08/23/2013 10:14 am

laser genesis is good for collagen production and it helps to shrink the pores so they produce less oil. people get it for acne, scarring and aging. its totally non-invasive as well.

i am going to get it within the next few months but i hear great things about it.

MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 08/24/2013 2:53 am

laser genesis is good for collagen production and it helps to shrink the pores so they produce less oil. people get it for acne, scarring and aging. its totally non-invasive as well.

i am going to get it within the next few months but i hear great things about it.

there has been numerous complaints about the laser genesis. i would proceed with caution

MemberMember
(@iconzz)

Posted : 08/24/2013 8:14 am

guys any possibility of them goin on itself??

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/24/2013 9:49 am

NO! FDA Clearance: Laser Genesis is cleared for the treatment of wrinkles such as, but not limited to, periocular and perioral wrinkles. Sounds like another non-ablative laser to me.

MemberMember
(@havyjohn)

Posted : 08/24/2013 3:06 pm

Never try your luck with Botox! My wife did it in Toronto and results were very bad! It is risky! If you are still not sure about the procedure, then refer *Moderator Edit, No Links allowed. Please read Board Rules*. You can go for lasers which is a great solution to fix the issue.

MemberMember
(@hiddy-cheeks)

Posted : 08/24/2013 9:47 pm

I am 1/2 Polynesian so have brown skin. I've heard that Fraxel Repair type lasers are too harsh for brown skin. Do you know if other types of lasers would work?

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/24/2013 10:09 pm

You may want to speak to Expectations because I believe she is also 1/2 Polynesian.

I am 1/2 Polynesian so have brown skin. I've heard that Fraxel Repair type lasers are too harsh for brown skin. Do you know if other types of lasers would work?

MemberMember
(@iconzz)

Posted : 08/25/2013 8:37 am

NO! FDA Clearance: Laser Genesis is cleared for the treatment of wrinkles such as, but not limited to, periocular and perioral wrinkles. Sounds like another non-ablative laser to me.

cry.gif will it become worse as we age?? mine are very shallow.. but its thr.. thot it wud go on itself:(

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/25/2013 10:28 am

Scars do not improve as your skin becomes more lax. Start at a very young age applying sunscreen all the time. I started a thread about the best creams to use on your skin. Follow those guidelines to attempt to thwart the aging of the skin. There are pictures of monks who have avoided the sun and they have smooth complexions. Of course you need vitamin D so some exposure is required just sunscreen up the areas you don't want to age. Some might find Cindy Jackson interesting. http://www.cindyjackson.co.uk/ Also for something amazing check out the human Barbie Doll Valeria Lukyanova. I think most of her amazing look comes from the way she makes up her eyes. http://www.google.com/search?q=Valeria+Lukyanova&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS424US424&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BSQaUreLEaa5iwL57ICoDw&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=558

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 08/25/2013 2:12 pm

the place i go to has a lot of success with laser genesis and since its totally non-invasive there are no side effects. they actually recommended it to me for my indents from acne scarring as well as loss of collagen in my chin instead of doing say a full face co2 or something harsher that would cost more money. i cant wait to try it and it has some decent reviews on realself as well.

http://www.realself.com/Laser-Genesis/reviews

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/25/2013 3:36 pm

Tracy, I have not kept up with the genesis of lasers (pun intended) over the past few years, but I would assume we are talking about a non-ablative laser, and their record is dismal.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 08/26/2013 9:01 am

oh yeah its not ablative and totally non-invasive. its not like the regular lasers out there so there is no recovery or anything like other lasers and things like that it really is just heating the skin.

more info on it from a doctor on realself.com

Laser genesis is a great no-downtime, painless procedure for acne prone skin. The laser genesis has enough heat to kill the bacteria in the active breakouts. Which means they will dry up and heal much quicker. Any red tones or discolorations from present or previous breakoutswill be lightened as well. As with most acne patients, large pores tend to be an issue. The laser genesis will improve this as well. In addition to acne benefits, the procedure is also a great anti-aging laser. Collagen production is stimulated, therefore, decreasing the appearance of fine lines and making skin feel more elastic.

Patients typically have 3 to 5 treatments and can be spaced out 2 to 4 weeks apart. Have an event coming up in in a week and worried your breakouts won't be gone by then? Even one treatment will give you some improvement for those last minute plans.