Notifications
Clear all

Weird Bumps/clogged Pores?

MemberMember
(@xelz-hah)

Posted : 08/15/2013 2:50 pm

So I had fine skin until this one episode where I tried the glam glow face mask and the murad skin perfecting lotion. I'm not sure which did it but my face broke out in this terrible rash, my eyes were puffy and it lasted a week. I used hydrocortisone to help it down.

After that my skin got worse and worse, (also a factor, I was just in my 20's at this point...) I noticed more pimples on my chest and there were ALOT on my usually clear back. Then I noticed these small bumps in lines on my cheeks. They were skin coloured bumps and some were even itchy. They eventually became pimples (maybe from me messing with them so much) and are still here about 5 months later. My forehead is the same with what started as bumps around my eyebrows and progressed into bumps and pimples all over my forehead. It is now around my chin, it looks like a bunch of tiny clogged pores, I'm seeing blackheads everywhere and clogged pores all around my nose. Nothing on my nose though. My skin feels bumpy like sandpaper and I've tried everything I can do.. not wearing makeup etc. but it seems to get worse every day.

I was thinking it could be folliculitis in which case I should use a zinc soap... otherwise I have no clue! None of the acne creams that have usually worked for me in the past (BP, clindamycin, steivamycin etc) are working which leads me to believe this is something different.

Can anyone give me any advice!? I've seen a derm and he is simply putting me on accutane.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/15/2013 3:24 pm

I had the same thing happen to me this summer. Ive had acne for a long time now but I had it pretty much under control till June this year when I started getting those bumps you described everywhere. Especially my chest and forehead. I was already on a topical for my acne and it wasnt doing anything for the sandpaper like bumps. Anyway I still have no Idea what it is and Im on Accutane right now and they are going away now. Is your skin oily? I noticed it appeared where my skin was the oiliest. I too thought it might be a folliculitis. (pityrosporum folliculitis) to be exact. Anyway I plan I treating it with Nizoral Shampoo with it comes back after Accutane.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/15/2013 3:26 pm

Are they anything like how I described in my thread?

MemberMember
(@xelz-hah)

Posted : 08/15/2013 4:14 pm

I had the same thing happen to me this summer. Ive had acne for a long time now but I had it pretty much under control till June this year when I started getting those bumps you described everywhere. Especially my chest and forehead. I was already on a topical for my acne and it wasnt doing anything for the sandpaper like bumps. Anyway I still have no Idea what it is and Im on Accutane right now and they are going away now. Is your skin oily? I noticed it appeared where my skin was the oiliest. I too thought it might be a folliculitis. (pityrosporum folliculitis) to be exact. Anyway I plan I treating it with Nizoral Shampoo with it comes back after Accutane.

So glad to hear I'm not alone. Also glad to know there's hope with the accutane! Around the same time I noticed the bumps I noticed quite a bit of oiliness, that makes sense. Have you tried a zinc facewash? Thank you for your reply!

Yes they seem to be just like you described! thank you for directing me that way. Did you look into the azelic acid or find anything that helped with the bumps?

Thanks so much :)

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/15/2013 4:57 pm

I did not look into azelic acid, but I did look into salicylic acid. It seems like gentlest way to help with these little bumps. I think I may start with a 1-2% cleanser, then add in a straight BHA chemical exfoliant to my regimen. All of this will be done as slowly as possible and I'll probably dilute the BHA with moisturizer as my skin is super sensitive. The products I am using now (see my signature) are helping diminish the bumps. Half my forehead is clear of them, now I just have to worry about the other half and my chin. It just takes a while to see results unfortunately -.- I'm going to talk to my dermatologist to see what her opinion is on the subject. I'll report back and let you know! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/15/2013 5:13 pm

Well I started using Head and Shoulders shampoo because it has zinc in it but I started that a few days after I started Accutane so I dont know which one is working. Im guessing its the Accutane though.

MemberMember
(@xelz-hah)

Posted : 08/15/2013 8:42 pm

Thank you that's awesome! I was using a salicylic acid facewash when it started for me so I'm out of luck on that end :( The first time I saw some clearing was after using Neostrata's glycolic acid toner nonstop for a few days. My skin started peeling alot so I gave it a break from everything except a light moisturizer and some glycolic on the very bad spots. After the four days half of my forehead and chin was clear. Who knows, I wish there was a simple way to get rid of this. Let me know if you hear anything rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@xelz-hah)

Posted : 08/22/2013 12:59 pm

So I read that vinegar can be helpful with folliculitis and I also saw alot of posts about baking soda and apple cider vinegar on your face.

Decided to give it a go. After 2 days I'm seeing the bumps go WAY down and some that weren't budging for what felt like ages have finally come to a head.

I simply added some baking soda to my regular facewash (effaclar) and after washing my face wiped all over a solution of 7 parts water to 1 part apple cider vinegar. I left that on for 15 minutes then rinsed my face with a bottle of water (figured might as well try it). This is supposed to balance your ph level because baking soda is a basic and vinegar is acidic. Anyway, the vinegar also kills bacteria and fungus. I put my regular aczone cream on at night and when I woke up after doing this morning and night for two days I was SO HAPPY! Today I can touch my face and feel some smoothness! I can't believe this has helped. seems so simple and I was always such a skeptic!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/22/2013 2:57 pm

I think im going to give that a try tonight. I have a couple questions though. Youre on Accutane too right? Did that bother your skin at all? And if it was a type of folliculitis wouldnt the Aczone make it worse because it is killing off bacteria to fight the folliculitis?

MemberMember
(@xelz-hah)

Posted : 08/22/2013 3:05 pm

I haven't started accutane yet they have me starting in a couple weeks. I wonder if it would bother your skin, depends on what it can tolerate right now.

I am worried it may be folliculitis and the aczone only seems to be working on my inflamed pimples. You could be on to something, I never thought about that.

If I were you I'd do a quick search to make sure apple cider vinegar iis okay during accutane, I would guess that it is when you rinse it off after, maybe you'd do a much more diluted solution and rinse quicker to begin..

I'm hoping to continue this into starting accutane if it works so let me know how it goes!