Notifications
Clear all

Hyperpigmentations Vacation What To Do?

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 08/14/2013 3:50 pm

Hey, im going on vacation in the next 3 days, and I will be staying on the ocean for a few days and will be exposed to sunlight all day, my face has alooot of red marks from old acne or even some current acne. Also, Iam currently on Accutane 2 40mg/ a day. I was wondering 2 things.

1. I heard sunlight is not good for hyperpigmentation on the face, how am I going to deal with this? What kind of sunscreen should I get?

2. I read that ocean water (salt water) is good for acne and the skin in general, will the salt water help the scaring/hyperpigmentations? Will be in the atlantic ocean.

HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/14/2013 4:03 pm

Definitely get a high grade SPF - 30 minimum, but I'd go for 50+ if you're in the sun all day long. If you're acne prone, go for a physically barrier which should be labelled on the sunscreen you choose. Neutrogena do some good facial sunscreens.

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 08/14/2013 4:12 pm

Definitely get a high grade SPF. 30 minimum, but I'd go for 50+ if you're in the sun all day long. If you're acne prone, go for a physically barrier which should be labelled on the sunscreen you choose. Neutrogena do some good facial sunscreens.

Yes I know that, but what kind of sunscreen? Because arent most sunscreens bad for your skin and acne?

(@LewisS)

Posted : 08/14/2013 4:18 pm

Definitely get a high grade SPF. 30 minimum, but I'd go for 50+ if you're in the sun all day long. If you're acne prone, go for a physically barrier which should be labelled on the sunscreen you choose. Neutrogena do some good facial sunscreens.

Yes I know that, but what kind of sunscreen? Because arent most sunscreens bad for your skin and acne?

Quite the opposite. Sunscreen is highly beneficial for the skin especially if you are using topicals that are likely to make your skin more sensitive to sun damage. Once skin is sun damaged, it's very difficult to reverse it.

As for acne prone skin, some sunlight is good for you, but all day would just aggravate it more.

A lot of people use the 'Clear Face' and 'Ultra Sheer' lines from Neutrogena that come in various SPF grades. Refer to the 'Product Reviews' link at the top of the page to compare the different brands. Look on the labels for 'broad spectrum' and ensure they protect against UVA and UVB rays.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/15/2013 1:15 am

Quite the opposite. Sunscreen is highly beneficial for the skin especially if you are using topicals that are likely to make your skin more sensitive to sun damage. Once skin is sun damaged, it's very difficult to reverse it.

As for acne prone skin, some sunlight is good for you, but all day would just aggravate it more.

A lot of people use the 'Clear Face' and 'Ultra Sheer' lines from Neutrogena that come in various SPF grades. Refer to the 'Product Reviews' link at the top of the page to compare the different brands. Look on the labels for 'broad spectrum' and ensure they protect against UVA and UVB rays.

all the above plus,

for physical sunscreen go for neutregena 'pure & free' baby range (spf 30 or 45)

MemberMember
(@superyew)

Posted : 08/15/2013 1:56 pm

Is the ocean water good for acne scars in any way? I hear its good for acne