Notifications
Clear all

Aczone... Does It Work?

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/13/2013 9:39 pm

Okay, so I've been searching this website for an hour trying to find a good, or even satisfactory review about using Aczone. All I've found is that people start a thread about being prescribed Aczone, report back until week 3, and then nothing. My question being: Has anyone made it to the 12 week mark with Aczone?! I would really love to know if it works!

I'm at the one month mark and honestly, I am not seeing the improvement that I expected. Maybe slightly better, maybe. In reality though, that could be sheer coincidence. I have no idea if that's what is making things better, or if it's my vitamin regimen, etc.

It is a very expensive product. I so want it to work, but I can't find any success stories. It's majorly bumming me out :( I can say, that it has not made anything worse. If anything my face is just the same. Which sucks, but it's better than my acne worsening. I have combination/oily skin, small papules, blackheads, and usually only one active papule on my face at a time. I know Aczone doesn't help non-inflammatory acne, but how about for the inflammatory? Anyone out there?

Any and all comments, stories (positive or negative), or advice is so much appreciated! Thanks guys :)

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 08/14/2013 9:04 am

I made it thru 14-16 weeks of Aczone and I was never completely happy w/ the results. I found that Aczone is much more effective at attacking active acne, taking out the inflammation, rather than helping to prevent new breakouts from coming. My face is never covered in acne, usually 3-5 painful spots. I found that this remained the same during the entire course I was on it, but the Aczone kinda took the pain out of the zit and reduced the swelling. However, the core of the pimple, the bump under the skin, remained for weeks/months. Im not sure what type of acne you have, but if its nodular like mine, I found that the under the skin bumps remained and would eventually resurface.

I started aczone after being on Acanya for several years. That worked wonderfully for a long time before it came to a sudden halt. Im now using a combination of Acanya and Aczone, each every other morning, and using Aczone on top of Differin at night as a spot treatment. Personally, Im not thrilled w/ this regimen.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/14/2013 12:11 pm

I made it thru 14-16 weeks of Aczone and I was never completely happy w/ the results. I found that Aczone is much more effective at attacking active acne, taking out the inflammation, rather than helping to prevent new breakouts from coming. My face is never covered in acne, usually 3-5 painful spots. I found that this remained the same during the entire course I was on it, but the Aczone kinda took the pain out of the zit and reduced the swelling. However, the core of the pimple, the bump under the skin, remained for weeks/months. Im not sure what type of acne you have, but if its nodular like mine, I found that the under the skin bumps remained and would eventually resurface.

I started aczone after being on Acanya for several years. That worked wonderfully for a long time before it came to a sudden halt. Im now using a combination of Acanya and Aczone, each every other morning, and using Aczone on top of Differin at night as a spot treatment. Personally, Im not thrilled w/ this regimen.

I've heard that many people use Aczone as a spot treatment. My acne is mild (and at it's worst mild-moderate). I have thankfully never had a cyst or nodule. I agree with you, in that it helps existing acne go away much quicker than normal, but I still have somewhat the same amount of breakouts. it has helped the breakouts on my forehead stop, which is obviously a huge improvement. I'm just not happy with how everything looks. Plus, the small papules are being stubborn little boogers that refuse to recede. I wish I was using a topical that was more preventative for acne, rather than just an antibiotic to clear whatever pops up on my face. BTW what is Acanya?

I'v read that Aczone works better when combined with a retinol/retinoid and an oral antibiotic. I can't tolerate retinol and I'm trying to stay away from pills, so I guess I'll talk with my dermatologist about where to go from here.

Thank you so much for the reply! :)

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 08/14/2013 12:45 pm

I've heard that many people use Aczone as a spot treatment. My acne is mild (and at it's worst mild-moderate). I have thankfully never had a cyst or nodule. I agree with you, in that it helps existing acne go away much quicker than normal, but I still have somewhat the same amount of breakouts. it has helped the breakouts on my forehead stop, which is obviously a huge improvement. I'm just not happy with how everything looks. Plus, the small papules are being stubborn little boogers that refuse to recede. I wish I was using a topical that was more preventative for acne, rather than just an antibiotic to clear whatever pops up on my face. BTW what is Acanya?

I'v read that Aczone works better when combined with a retinol/retinoid and an oral antibiotic. I can't tolerate retinol and I'm trying to stay away from pills, so I guess I'll talk with my dermatologist about where to go from here.

Thank you so much for the reply! smile.png

Acanya is prescription BP and clindamyacin. Worked wonders for me for 3 years, and now, nothing. Causing me more irritation that its worth really. Getting these red blotchy areas on my skin which make my scars more proniunced (in my eyes). I dunno, maybe Im getting rosacea. Who knows? I only know I dont like the current condition of my skin :(

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/15/2013 9:37 am

I completely relate to how you feel. I was using Proactiv back in 2010... worked wonders for a year and half. Then nothing, it just stop working. I've read thathappens to many people, but doesn't make it any less frustrating! Hopefully we both can find the best treatments for our pesky skin!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/17/2013 11:46 am

Anyone else have experience with Aczone?

MemberMember
(@twerp)

Posted : 08/23/2013 12:06 am

Do you wait 5-10 minutes after washing your face (or 10-15 after showering) to apply it? Otherwise if it doesn't work by the 3 month mark you might want to consider dropping it :/

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/23/2013 2:45 pm

Do you wait 5-10 minutes after washing your face (or 10-15 after showering) to apply it? Otherwise if it doesn't work by the 3 month mark you might want to consider dropping it :/

I don't wait after washing, maybe about 5 minutes for my face to be completely dry. I do wait 20 minutes for it to dry before applying anything over it though... Dermatologist appt. in three weeks. Hoping she can give me answers :(

MemberMember
(@twerp)

Posted : 08/23/2013 6:05 pm

Oh dear. Well I hope your dermatologist can help out! Otherwise I'm out of ideas D:

MemberMember
(@kerryblu32)

Posted : 08/29/2013 9:39 pm

Aczone was the only thing for me that cleared up my Perioral Dermatitis (an acne like condition that forms near the nose and mouth). I just started using it all over my face, we'll see what happens.

I also have used acanya which I honestly think is pretty worthless. Been using Ziana for a long time with great results. Not 100% but close enough. Only complaint there is it makes my skin super oily.

Goodz--perhaps you have developed a slight allergy to benzoyl peroxide in acanya? I find that if I get sun on my face and then use it I'll get splotchy patches also.

I will try to report back on the overall success of aczone on the acne.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/29/2013 10:21 pm

Aczone was the only thing for me that cleared up my Perioral Dermatitis (an acne like condition that forms near the nose and mouth). I just started using it all over my face, we'll see what happens.

I also have used acanya which I honestly think is pretty worthless. Been using Ziana for a long time with great results. Not 100% but close enough. Only complaint there is it makes my skin super oily.

Goodz--perhaps you have developed a slight allergy to benzoyl peroxide in acanya? I find that if I get sun on my face and then use it I'll get splotchy patches also.

I will try to report back on the overall success of aczone on the acne.

Thank you! I would appreciate that so much! It's so hard to find an actual completed success story with my products. i recognize that they're not the most popular products, but there's got to be people out there using a similar regimen to mine. There is absolutely no way that my skin would tolerate Ziana. Plus, I'm not sure my acne is severe enough to warrant a tretinoin cream. When I go back to my dermatologist (two weeks), if my skin isn't any more clear, I'm going to consider an oral antibiotic. My skin can't tolerate anything stronger than salicylic acid, so I'm pretty much out of topical options. Derm appt. marks two months on Aczone, so I guess we shall see!

Please don't forget to report back! :)

MemberMember
(@searchandseek)

Posted : 08/30/2013 7:29 am

I've tried aczone with acanya together and it works... But it makes the skin turn orange when used together. First you apply the aczone over the affected zit, then wait for it to dry. Then apply the acanya over it. It works pretty effectively. I haven't used aczone on its own, so I don't know how effective it is by itself but I would try it with acanya together to see if it helps you.

MemberMember
(@lafille)

Posted : 08/30/2013 9:00 am

I just started Aczone 2 weeks ago. I think it's important to remember that Aczone is an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, so of course it's not going to work on those under the skin pimples that it can't sink into. There's not much an antibacterial can do once you already have a clogged pore also... and you still have white blood cells filling it up from trying to battle the bacteria that did get in, which only your body can get rid of (slowly, as always).

I think the best thing about Aczone that I've found so far is that it keeps the pimples which it can sink into from getting larger than they would have gotten and calms them down (removes the redness).

I'm doing Aczone, Atralin, and Solodyn tablets (65mg). I just started a personal log and I intend to go for the entire 12 weeks with pictures. I haven't posted pictures yet... I'm pretty low on confidence at the moment. But I have taken them and will post them once my skin starts getting better.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/30/2013 11:22 am

I've tried aczone with acanya together and it works... But it makes the skin turn orange when used together. First you apply the aczone over the affected zit, then wait for it to dry. Then apply the acanya over it. It works pretty effectively. I haven't used aczone on its own, so I don't know how effective it is by itself but I would try it with acanya together to see if it helps you.

Acanya unfortunately has BP in it, which my skin can't tolerate. It's such a bummer :( Thank you for the suggestion though! How long did it take you to see results, out of curiosity?

MemberMember
(@searchandseek)

Posted : 08/31/2013 6:29 am

Acanya unfortunately has BP in it, which my skin can't tolerate. It's such a bummer :( Thank you for the suggestion though! How long did it take you to see results, out of curiosity?

How long.... It depends on the zit. For smaller pimples I can see them get dried and shrivel up after about 7 to 14 days. I usually do once a day at night. However if I'm not going out, I also put it after waking up.... Which makes it gone even faster. For the bigger zits it takes longer... Upto about a month or longer. I only apply a small spot dab on the zit itself as opposed to applying the medication over the entire face. This is to minimize risk and redness to the non affected skin.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/31/2013 11:33 am

Acanya unfortunately has BP in it, which my skin can't tolerate. It's such a bummer sad.png Thank you for the suggestion though! How long did it take you to see results, out of curiosity?

How long.... It depends on the zit. For smaller pimples I can see them get dried and shrivel up after about 7 to 14 days. I usually do once a day at night. However if I'm not going out, I also put it after waking up.... Which makes it gone even faster. For the bigger zits it takes longer... Upto about a month or longer. I only apply a small spot dab on the zit itself as opposed to applying the medication over the entire face. This is to minimize risk and redness to the non affected skin.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of acne do you have?

I have mild/mild-moderate inflammatory acne mixed with some mild non-imflammatory. Mostly tiny papules with the occasional larger papules that turn into pustules. Usually my zits will come and go within a week if I leave them alone, but unfortunately I usually can;t wait that long and pop them. I don't believe I've ever had a zit that lasted a month o.O that sounds painful!

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 08/31/2013 12:41 pm

well products react differently depending on the person- so you would really have to try it yourself to actually truly know. From personal experience i thought aczone was an amazing topical- okay it didnt clear me up 100% (nothing does). but the reason i loved it so much was how non harsh it was- unlike a BP cream, or retin-a etc. :)

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/31/2013 6:29 pm

well products react differently depending on the person- so you would really have to try it yourself to actually truly know. From personal experience i thought aczone was an amazing topical- okay it didnt clear me up 100% (nothing does). but the reason i loved it so much was how non harsh it was- unlike a BP cream, or retin-a etc. smile.png

I agree! It is very gentle and I believe that it is yielding results... it's just a slow process. I'm 6.5 weeks into my regimen with Aczone (amongst other things) and I cannot wait to see when the full three month trial is over! I really hope that Aczone will be the key because it's gentle and seemingly effective! I don't believe your skin can build up a tolerance to Dapsone either, which is a positive. I think it will get me 90-95% clear and then I'll find something else to help with the more stubborn spots. :)

MemberMember
(@searchandseek)

Posted : 09/01/2013 6:51 am

well products react differently depending on the person- so you would really have to try it yourself to actually truly know. From personal experience i thought aczone was an amazing topical- okay it didnt clear me up 100% (nothing does). but the reason i loved it so much was how non harsh it was- unlike a BP cream, or retin-a etc. :)

I agree! It is very gentle and I believe that it is yielding results... it's just a slow process. I'm 6.5 weeks into my regimen with Aczone (amongst other things) and I cannot wait to see when the full three month trial is over! I really hope that Aczone will be the key because it's gentle and seemingly effective! I don't believe your skin can build up a tolerance to Dapsone either, which is a positive. I think it will get me 90-95% clear and then I'll find something else to help with the more stubborn spots. :)

I have mild/mild-moderate inflammatory acne mixed with some mild non-imflammatory. Mostly tiny papules with the occasional larger papules that turn into pustules. Usually my zits will come and go within a week if I leave them alone, but unfortunately I usually can;t wait that long and pop them. I don't believe I've ever had a zit that lasted a month o.O that sounds painful!

I have been using this on small pimples without the pustules.... Most of the time I use acanya by itself on these. And also for medium sized red pimples without the pustules... I use aczone with acanya.

And also for a few big painful red zit on my nose ( not a pustule or cyst, but looks like a red blister and hurts when touched)... I use both.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 09/01/2013 11:00 am

well products react differently depending on the person- so you would really have to try it yourself to actually truly know. From personal experience i thought aczone was an amazing topical- okay it didnt clear me up 100% (nothing does). but the reason i loved it so much was how non harsh it was- unlike a BP cream, or retin-a etc. smile.png

I agree! It is very gentle and I believe that it is yielding results... it's just a slow process. I'm 6.5 weeks into my regimen with Aczone (amongst other things) and I cannot wait to see when the full three month trial is over! I really hope that Aczone will be the key because it's gentle and seemingly effective! I don't believe your skin can build up a tolerance to Dapsone either, which is a positive. I think it will get me 90-95% clear and then I'll find something else to help with the more stubborn spots. smile.png

>

Acanya unfortunately has BP in it, which my skin can't tolerate. It's such a bummer sad.png Thank you for the suggestion though! How long did it take you to see results, out of curiosity?

I have been using this on small pimples without the pustules.... Most of the time I use acanya by itself on these. And also for medium sized red pimples without the pustules... I use aczone with acanya.

And also for a few big painful red zit on my nose ( not a pustule or cyst, but looks like a red blister and hurts when touched)... I use both.

I definitely need a better method to zap my zits away... My spot treatment does a mediocre job of preventing an oncoming pimple and at making it go away faster. I think the only purpose it has at this point is to cover the redness/bump, so that I don't have to see it when I look in the mirror. I changed from the 2% SA spot treatment to an 8% sulfur one, and neither one seem to help much. I guess that leaves me with BP and AHA+, which makes me nervous. I don't think applying Aczone as a spot treatment would be effective, seeing as I used it regularly on all my problem areas (forehead, mouth area, chin). Maybe I'll pick up some 2.5% BP from the drugstore and see what happens. I know my skin can't tolerate it, but maybe it will work if I just use it on the pimple... sigh. Nothing's easy.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 11/07/2013 8:24 pm

Just wanted to post on here to answer my own question.... Aczone works! Took a million years for me to see a difference, but I stuck it out for 4+ months and I finally am getting the results that I want. Lest be known that I am only using Aczone now (not the other cream in my signature) and when I cut that out, I started to see results. Therefore my recommendation to anyone who wants to use Aczone is to use it for 3-4 months on it's own THEN judge whether or not to add another product. I regret it soooo much that I immediately started using two products at once... could've saved myself a lot of turmoil.

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 11/07/2013 8:27 pm

Rosalie! I'm happy things getting better skin-wise :)

MemberMember
(@kcurry90)

Posted : 11/08/2013 10:22 am

I used Aczone for about 4 months. While it did definitely reduce the amount and size of the acne I had (I would say I had mild to moderate acne before) it never got me to the point where I was acne-free. About a month ago it completely stopped working and my acne came back just as bad as it was before I started using Aczone. So now I'm going to be starting Accutane in a few weeks.

Maybe you will have better luck with it working long-term. For me, most topicals will work for a few months and then my skin builds a tolerance and I have to switch to something else.

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 11/08/2013 12:43 pm

Just wanted to post on here to answer my own question.... Aczone works! Took a million years for me to see a difference, but I stuck it out for 4+ months and I finally am getting the results that I want. Lest be known that I am only using Aczone now (not the other cream in my signature) and when I cut that out, I started to see results. Therefore my recommendation to anyone who wants to use Aczone is to use it for 3-4 months on it's own THEN judge whether or not to add another product. I regret it soooo much that I immediately started using two products at once... could've saved myself a lot of turmoil.

Im glad you've found success with it.