Notifications
Clear all

At My Wit's End

MemberMember
(@mvigil)

Posted : 08/13/2013 5:43 pm

Hello everyone,

new member here! I've been lurking on acne.org for as long as I can remember, but I figured it's finally time I made an account so I can talk about my own problems. Since high school (~15 years old) I've had a massive acne problem. All over my face, and every area on my body you can possibly imagine is prone to breakouts involving anything from tiny zits to massive cysts. Over the years, I developed the horrible habit of picking my skin until I've basically gotten to the point to where I am now. I've tried numerous OTC treatments from dan's BP regimen, to Jessner's peels, to scar creams like Mederma and many more that my currently clouded mind can't think of. Over the past 5 years, I have developed extremely deep facial lines around my nose/mouth area that I have no idea how they developed (I assume massive stress), I have large pores and lots of combinations of different scar types ranging from very mild to severe. I'm at my wit's end and being a broke and jobless 28 year-old college student I currently do not have any means to afford things like laser surgery and the like.

I've researched almost every type of scar treatment (professional and home) that I could find, and it all seems extremely overwhelming. I have no idea where to start. About a month ago I had scheduled an evaluation with a local pro fraxel treatment center where the doctor told me a great option for me would be "fake collagen" injections to fill in the lines and then go from there and gave me a brochure to a plastic surgery center that is capable of handling such things. However, after doing more research on the internet it seems these injections are very costly in addition to needing to be performed around twice a year. Is there something that I'm missing? It'd be nice to have something a bit more permanent.

My self-confidence is rock-bottom and I usually spend most of my days indoors and see very little sunlight due to how I feel about myself. Five years ago I could go outside and feel great about myself because none of these facial lines and scars existed. I have attached four pictures below and any suggested home or professional treatments (the former preferred) and advice that you great people can give me would mean so very much to me. I just really have no idea where to even begin and I feel as if my life literally depends on me somehow gaining my self confidence. I can't even look at people directly to their face, nor can I look at myself in the mirror most days. Please help me; thank you so very much in advance.

EDIT: I guess it'd help to put up my current regimen. I have pretty sensitive skin, so lately my regimen has been 1 pump of acne.org facial cleanser, 5 minutes later 1 pump of acne.org BP, and then usually just 5 drops of jojoba oil. I do this twice per day, although since my sleep schedule is fairly messy I've been somewhat inconsistent with what times during the day I apply them. The only supplement I'm currently taking is fish oil.

post-215571-0-95958900-1376432568_thumb.

post-215571-0-59148900-1376432570_thumb.

post-215571-0-46601500-1376432572_thumb.

post-215571-0-14991200-1376432574_thumb.

post-215571-0-95958900-1376432568_thumb.

post-215571-0-59148900-1376432570_thumb.

post-215571-0-46601500-1376432572_thumb.

post-215571-0-14991200-1376432574_thumb.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/13/2013 7:48 pm

I know this is not what you want to here but your skin really isnt that bad. I think a lot of its in your head. Yes you do have a couple spots but I would consider it very mild. Youd probably clear up completely with a antibiotic though. I wouldnt let your skin continue to hold you bad. I know easier said than done.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 08/13/2013 8:44 pm

I also don't really see a scar problem from your pictures. The doctor didn't consider Botox? You almost have a Vin Diesel look, and that certainly hasn't held him back.

MemberMember
(@numan)

Posted : 08/13/2013 8:56 pm

Following from the above, I think it is best for now that you should allow your skin to regain its balance; cut the topicals. One thing I learned is that most of them never ever work, or they only work for fresh scars but aren't the best option.

Now, I understand that it is an odd idea at first, but the facial skin is very delicate and over-zealous use of topicals usually irritates your skin more than it does good. Allow your skin time to recuperate, wash it with warm water if it is too oily and in the meantime focus on grooming yourself in other ways. As with above, the scarring on your skin is really not that prominent.

Understandably that this might not be the answer you seek, but it is decent advice. Cut yourself some slack and regain financial stability; anything cosmetic can be corrected eventually as technology progresses and procedures become cheaper, so don't let it whittle your life away.