Notifications
Clear all

Isotretinoin And Jogging

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/13/2013 4:41 pm

Hey all,

Is anyone else out there experiencing big aches and pains, more than is normal, when doing strenous exercise, particularly jogging, when on isotretinoin??

I'm really struggling to make gains and its been some months training now because of the pain I'm getting from jogging. I have all the appropriate footwear etc, fitted by experts, but still ache more than is normal, so much so that it can really hurt to even walk the next day. I find I jog a long distance one day but then need around 3 days away from it before being able to tolerate it again.

I should probably preface this with the fact that I'm training to do a 10k which is in a few weeks time but as I said I'm really struggling to improve as Im finding I need too much time away before running again.

Anyone else know what I mean or has experienced the same thing?? And to the smart alec's out there I know it's not because im training too hard, or need to train more etc etc - I'm convinced it's because of the meds - just curious to get everyones feedback and experiences.

Thanks in advance

Rob

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/13/2013 5:14 pm

It's the Accutane, and it likely won't go away until your course is over.

3 options:

• Reduce your dose to see if that reduces the pain (but then you might have to be on Accutane for longer)
  • Take fish oil, Advil/ibuprofen, and/or Tylenol/acetaminophen
  • Stop strenuous exercise until your Accutane course is over

Good luck

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/13/2013 5:17 pm

It's the Accutane, and it likely won't go away until your course is over.

3 options:

• Reduce your dose to seem if that reduces the pain (but then you might have to be on Accutane for longer)
  • Take fish oil, Advil/ibuprofen, and/or Tylenol/acetaminophen
  • Stop strenuous exercise until your Accutane course is over

Good luck

Hey there,

Thanks for your message.

Yeah I was afriad of that. Not willing to do options 1 and 3 but have today bought some cod liver oil. I'll see if that makes a difference and let everyone know.

Anyone else got any experiences??

Rob

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/13/2013 5:20 pm

It's not just you. Quite a few people experience joint pain and body aches while on accutane from what I hear.

Maybe taking some ibuprofen before your race might help?

I haven't experienced any while exercising, but I'm still early in my course. I have been taking plenty of turmeric capsules, which are anti-inflammatory.

Edit: Just saw your reply. I wouldn't take cod liver oil because of the vitamin A (maybe ask a Dr.). Just regular, clean, fish oil should work.

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/13/2013 5:26 pm

It's not just you. Quite a few people experience joint pain and body aches while on accutane from what I hear.

I haven't experienced any while exercising, but I'm still early in my course. I have been taking plenty of turmeric capsules, which are anti-inflammatory.

Edit: Just saw your reply. I wouldn't take cod liver oil because of the vitamin A (maybe ask a Dr.). Just regular, clean, fish oil should work.

Hey Oceanic,

Thanks for your message. Yes indeed I have ibuprofen gel and regularly take ibuprofen orally to help. Hadnt realised the cod liver oil had vitamin A in it though, if thats true then yes I should really consider trying something else! Thank you :)

I'm on my 4th course of isotretinoin and havent noticed too much of a problem previously, but then I did exercise much at all. I've gone mad on a fitness tip as of late for some reason - never thought I'd be 'that' guy.

Have you experienced the side effect yourself?? And did you find the fish oil helped?

MemberMember
(@heftymug)

Posted : 08/13/2013 6:11 pm

I'm about 1.5 months into my accutane treatment and I have yet to experience any muscle/join pains but from what I understand it is quite common.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 08/13/2013 6:48 pm

I experienced joint and what I can only describe as bone pain/achiness about midway through my course. If affected my hip bones and my coccyx. Thankfully, it only lasted about a month and a half to two months and then seemed to disappear as quickly as it came. All of my Accutane side effects were like that, would appear suddenly and often wax and wane. I took fish oil and hyaluronic aid without any relief. I did notice that if I got a ton of sleep (like, 10-12 hrs) and drank a lot of water I would feel less achy. I've read stories on here about people having to forego physical activity while on Accutane and rarely some people report long-term bone/joint damage. When I reported my symptoms to my dermatologist, he said that the bone side effects were from when Accutane was first introduced and prescribed in higher doses.

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/13/2013 6:48 pm

Hey Oceanic,

Thanks for your message. Yes indeed I have ibuprofen gel and regularly take ibuprofen orally to help. Hadnt realised the cod liver oil had vitamin A in it though, if thats true then yes I should really consider trying something else! Thank you smile.png

I'm on my 4th course of isotretinoin and havent noticed too much of a problem previously, but then I did exercise much at all. I've gone mad on a fitness tip as of late for some reason - never thought I'd be 'that' guy.

Have you experienced the side effect yourself?? And did you find the fish oil helped?

Strange, I'm on a fitness kick as well. :P

Nope, no side effects except for dryness and breakouts. And, I am currently not taking fish oil. But I did use to take Carlson's Fish Oil, and I liked it. Right now, I am just taking turmeric capsules, which also fight inflammation. Don't know if it's working, because I haven't experienced any pain even before taking them.

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/14/2013 12:05 am

Hey Oceanic,

Thanks for your message. Yes indeed I have ibuprofen gel and regularly take ibuprofen orally to help. Hadnt realised the cod liver oil had vitamin A in it though, if thats true then yes I should really consider trying something else! Thank you smile.png

Strange, I'm on a fitness kick as well. tongue.png

Nope, no side effects except for dryness and breakouts. And, I am currently not taking fish oil. But I did use to take Carlson's Fish Oil, and I liked it. Right now, I am just taking turmeric capsules, which also fight inflammation. Don't know if it's working, because I haven't experienced any pain even before taking them.

hmmm,

Interesting. Is this your first time on the 'tane train? Or are you a regular passenger like I? You're on quite a high dose for your weight right?

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/14/2013 12:25 am

I experienced joint and what I can only describe as bone pain/achiness about midway through my course. If affected my hip bones and my coccyx. Thankfully, it only lasted about a month and a half to two months and then seemed to disappear as quickly as it came. All of my Accutane side effects were like that, would appear suddenly and often wax and wane. I took fish oil and hyaluronic aid without any relief. I did notice that if I got a ton of sleep (like, 10-12 hrs) and drank a lot of water I would feel less achy. I've read stories on here about people having to forego physical activity while on Accutane and rarely some people report long-term bone/joint damage. When I reported my symptoms to my dermatologist, he said that the bone side effects were from when Accutane was first introduced and prescribed in higher doses.

Hey there,

Thanks for your response.

Fish oil didn't help you at all?? Did you do a lot of physical activity? What dosage were you on and at what weight?

Thanks

Rob

MemberMember
(@steve0asdf)

Posted : 08/14/2013 4:02 am

Interestingly I've not experienced the joint pains and soreness, but I find that exercise makes the lip dryness considerably worse for 24-48 hours afterwards. Exercise levels I'm talking about here are 40 mile bikes rides (moderate intensity) once or twice a week.

Of course this is a trivial effect compared to what some people get, and can be dealt with easily, but interesting nonetheless.

I'm 43y.o. male, weight 68kg, have been on 60mg per day for one month. Dematologist says we might increase that to 80mg per day after another few weeks.

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/14/2013 4:23 am

Interestingly I've not experienced the joint pains and soreness, but I find that exercise makes the lip dryness considerably worse for 24-48 hours afterwards. Exercise levels I'm talking about here are 40 mile bikes rides (moderate intensity) once or twice a week.

Of course this is a trivial effect compared to what some people get, and can be dealt with easily, but interesting nonetheless.

I'm 43y.o. male, weight 68kg, have been on 60mg per day for one month. Dematologist says we might increase that to 80mg per day after another few weeks.

Interesting that lip dryness is worse for you following exercise. I assume you are not using a stationary bike?

Possibilities:

• Exercise can be dehydrating and might therefore exacerbate the dryness-related side effects of Accutane, including dry lips.
  • The action of bike riding (wind on face) might cause your lip balm to dry out/be absorbed more quickly or cause a perceived increase in lip dryness
MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/14/2013 9:06 am

Hey Oceanic,

Strange, I'm on a fitness kick as well. tongue.png

hmmm,

Interesting. Is this your first time on the 'tane train? Or are you a regular passenger like I? You're on quite a high dose for your weight right?

Yes, it is my first time. Maybe that has something to do with not experiencing any joint pain or aches even though I do exercise a lot. But it's still early on in my course.

Yes, my dose is rather high. I'm almost 50kg. So, when I start taking 80mg, that would make it a 1.6 mg/kg dosage for me. I have another condition aside from acne that may respond well to isotretinoin; this might be the reason for the high dosage.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 08/14/2013 8:26 pm

Hi Rob,

I am about 50kg and was on 40mg for five months. I have a job that requires me to be somewhat physically active but I have not worked out regularly for a few years. Some people seem to get some relief from fish oil though so it may be beneficial to you; it may also help with keeping your cholesterol down. I noticed my cholesterol and triglycerides were higher after I stopped taking the fish oil. Hope you get some relief soon.

MemberMember
(@steve0asdf)

Posted : 08/15/2013 5:16 am

• Exercise can be dehydrating and might therefore exacerbate the dryness-related side effects of Accutane, including dry lips.
  • The action of bike riding (wind on face) might cause your lip balm to dry out/be absorbed more quickly or cause a perceived increase in lip dryness

Hi,

This is what I was assuming was responsible. As I say, hardly a problem compared with the side effects that some people get. If this is the worst I get, then I'll be very happy indeed! Fingers crossed...

Steve.