Notifications
Clear all

Getting Control Of Your Thoughts

MemberMember
(@progo35)

Posted : 08/12/2013 6:10 pm

If you are dealing with obsessive thoughts related to your acne (ie, can't think of anything else and it's impeding your ability to function), how do you best deal with this problem? I am having all sorts of desperate thoughts related (though not excusively) to my acne, even though I know that acne isn't worth *all THAT*, no matter how much it sucks. I think things like,

"I just can't take this anymore, I'd rather die,." or, "I may as well skip brushing my teeth/combing my hair because I'm ugly anyway." Ok, I know that these things are NOT true. Again, this isn't exclusively related to my acne, but what do you do when you start thinking this way? (FYI: I am seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, but unless my feelings have to do with the new birth control I'm taking, I don't think that he will switch my meds, or anything like that. They had been working fine until this past week.)

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 08/12/2013 6:36 pm

I get these thoughts too and they're not fun. What meds are you on? How long have you been on them for? You don't have to answer this obviously but I'm just wondering because when I first started on my meds they gave me relentless suicidal thoughts for the first two weeks so I'm just wondering if that might be a factor for you. Some birth control pills can also cause depressive moods in some people so they could be the culprit too of you've started them recently and this wasn't a problem before.

Not sure whether it will work for you and you might say it just sounds stupid, but you know those big red STOP signs you get on roads? Think of one of those whenever your mind starts running away with thoughts like these. Visualise it springing up right in front of your eyes with the red and white filling your whole vision. Then move on and do some other activity that keeps your mind busy and distracted. Whatever you like doing; reading, talking to friends, going out and doing things, anything that distracts you. The busier you keep your brain the less time it has to come up with these kinds of thoughts. Also do try to take care of yourself despite your acne. Neglecting other things like your hair and teeth will only make you feel worse. Treat yourself or pamper yourself instead because you deserve it!

MemberMember
(@missindependent95)

Posted : 08/13/2013 12:05 am

I can assure you that there are TONS of people that feel the same way, to different degrees of course. For myself, some days I choose not to get out of my house simply because my acne is that bad. Everywhere I go, I have people asking me (yes, even randoms) why I break out so bad, or even worse, whether I even bother to wash my face, and this is WITH MAKEUP ON. Since mine is a combination of hormonal and genetics, its very hard for me to control my acne but since I've had it for so long I've become somewhat accustomed to it.

For me, I find that spending time with people that have seen me at my worst (i.e. best friends, family) really helps to bring my mood up because I don't have to be as self-conscious around them.

Another thing you can do is to focus on other things that will, I guess, "outshine" your acne. For example, becoming fit and toned over the summer has helped to shift negative comments regarding my face to positive comments regarding my body, which helps me, even for a second, to forget my acne.

Most importantly, DESTRESS. It's easier said than done, but it will have a profound effect on your acne. Sometimes its okay to cry it out (I do occasionally, to my sister), but once you realize that the people closest to you are talking to you as a person and not your acne, you will feel a lot better.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 08/13/2013 1:26 am

It used to be working out but I realize the majority of my breakouts is due to weightlifting, so I get depressed and quit for 1-2 weeks and the thoughts come back, I lose 10-20 pounds get deeper into depression since I can't release the stress built up. Then I start again gain the weight back and repeat the horrible cycle. Somethings terribly wrong with me.

MemberMember
(@progo35)

Posted : 08/13/2013 12:07 pm

I did speak to my psychiatist today who said that while he understood that acne is no fun, he felt my fixation on it was out of control. I also made an apt with a dermatologist, but he can't see me for 2 weeks, which really doesn't help me right now. For all I know the acne could be gone by then and he will think I'm nuts.

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/15/2013 3:16 pm

I did speak to my psychiatist today who said that while he understood that acne is no fun, he felt my fixation on it was out of control. I also made an apt with a dermatologist, but he can't see me for 2 weeks, which really doesn't help me right now. For all I know the acne could be gone by then and he will think I'm nuts.

I know how you're feeling. It's so hard. Unfortunately, going to the dermatologist didn't make me feel better despite my constant ranting that the appointment would make all the difference. i went to the appt, was horribly self conscious about showing the doctor my acne, and she prescribed me a regimen. Okay... Now what? The reality sank in that although I was a small step closer to clear skin, it would be months before I get the results that I so desperately crave.

I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to see a dermatologist, just to try and not put all your eggs in that basket. I'm trying to focus more on controlling my OCD, BDD, and anxiety with the help from my psych and therapist, because I have a whole month ahead of me before I revisit my derm. One month down (funny enough as of today) and one more to go!

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/20/2013 3:03 am

Find something else to fixate on. Literally swap the obsession for something else, and try to 'close down' any negative thoughts you got. The harsher method is throwing yourself into situations without makeup on and getting used to it.

MemberMember
(@myracetorelaxation)

Posted : 08/23/2013 11:33 pm

When ever I get those negative thoughts (which I do) I usually just do my hair and makeup a little extra nice and put on a cute outfit so hopefully people won't focus on my skin as much! I also try to remind myself that if I focus on it, obsess over it, or hide from the world because of it; it's not going to magically get better. The only thing I can do Is face the world with my chin up and a smile on my face! You made the right decision going to the doctor. I have high anxiety and literally force myself to have happy thoughts which SOMETIMES helps. I also find that aromatherapy and meditation do wonders on my stress and confidence levels. Good luck, Friend!

MemberMember
(@rosalie324)

Posted : 08/24/2013 11:46 am

When ever I get those negative thoughts (which I do) I usually just do my hair and makeup a little extra nice and put on a cute outfit so hopefully people won't focus on my skin as much! I also try to remind myself that if I focus on it, obsess over it, or hide from the world because of it; it's not going to magically get better. The only thing I can do Is face the world with my chin up and a smile on my face! You made the right decision going to the doctor. I have high anxiety and literally force myself to have happy thoughts which SOMETIMES helps. I also find that aromatherapy and meditation do wonders on my stress and confidence levels. Good luck, Friend!

This is interesting that you say that. Whenever I go out, I make a point to dress to the nines and accessorize. I try to draw the attention away from my face onto other aspects of myself. I always wear my hair down because I hope that it will hide my face, even with the makeup that I have on.

You are completely correct about smiling. My mum always says that if I put a smile on my face no one will every notice a problem with my face. Thing positive thoughts is a great tool. The greater energy that you put out into the world, the more that will come back to you in the end! :)